News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2023, 08:00:13 PMThis is what Zoupa accused of meaning "speak white".

Quote"Minister, I noticed that you answered my questions in French, but other questions you answered in English if they're from your Liberal colleagues. I realize it's completely your choice, we're a bilingual country, but if at all possible I'd love to have an English answer," Thomas said.
Zoupa was over reacting in this case.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Have you guys never heard of the concept of analogy? Jesus Christ. I posted the news article. Her words are quoted in there.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on November 30, 2023, 09:53:53 PMHave you guys never heard of the concept of analogy? Jesus Christ. I posted the news article. Her words are quoted in there.
I've read the words, but the analogy is charged in this case.

She was very polite and there is a context, in did not came out of nowhere.

Had the Minister been speaking entirely in French, I'd been agreeing with you.  Had she been using French and English randomly, I'd still be agreeing with you.  But here, she was using English for her party and French for the opposition.  It was on purpose, made to annoy the opposition parties, likely to trigger the Cons.

Granted, the Cons MP should have swallowed it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on November 30, 2023, 09:53:53 PMHave you guys never heard of the concept of analogy? Jesus Christ. I posted the news article. Her words are quoted in there.

Of course I've heard of analogy.

This was a pretty crappy analogy on your part.  I love you Zoupa (slava ukraina!), but I gotta call 'em as I see 'em.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2023, 08:00:13 PMThis is what Zoupa accused of meaning "speak white".

Quote"Minister, I noticed that you answered my questions in French, but other questions you answered in English if they're from your Liberal colleagues. I realize it's completely your choice, we're a bilingual country, but if at all possible I'd love to have an English answer," Thomas said.

It's not because it's polite that it's not insidious.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 30, 2023, 10:11:47 PM
I've read the words, but the analogy is charged in this case.

She was very polite and there is a context, in did not came out of nowhere.

Had the Minister been speaking entirely in French, I'd been agreeing with you.  Had she been using French and English randomly, I'd still be agreeing with you.  But here, she was using English for her party and French for the opposition.  It was on purpose, made to annoy the opposition parties, likely to trigger the Cons.

Granted, the Cons MP should have swallowed it.

It seems nobody read my response to Yi, it could simply be answering the question was better articulated in French.  One might expect answers that require less precision when responding to friendly questions.

Asserting party based language choices was petty at best.  One assumes that is why the questioner apologized.

Jacob

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2023, 08:04:15 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2023, 06:37:50 PMSpeaking different languages based on party politics is kinda weird.

It is more likely that the nature of the question being asked by the Conservative member was such that it was more appropriate to answer it in the language in which he felt more comfortable.

The Conservative then tried to make a pretty point that really only petty people would appreciate.  To her credit she realized her error and apologized rather than doubling down and making a further silly comment.
Missed it the first time.

Apparently this MP has a habit of francophobia and Quebec bashing and that might explain why St-Onge answered her in French on purpose. 

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2023, 08:04:15 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2023, 06:37:50 PMSpeaking different languages based on party politics is kinda weird.

It is more likely that the nature of the question being asked by the Conservative member was such that it was more appropriate to answer it in the language in which he felt more comfortable.

The Conservative then tried to make a pretty point that really only petty people would appreciate.  To her credit she realized her error and apologized rather than doubling down and making a further silly comment.

That just seems highly speculative and I'm not sure what based on given that neither the questioner or answeree is a male. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 01, 2023, 11:18:30 AMMissed it the first time.

Apparently this MP has a habit of francophobia and Quebec bashing and that might explain why St-Onge answered her in French on purpose. 

OK, so I have not seen the entire Parliamentary Committee, so I don't know the entire transaction.

*IF* Minister St. Onge was speaking entirely in English during the committee meeting, and switched to French just because he doesn't like Rachael Thomas... then St. Onge my friends was being a dick.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2023, 11:25:25 AM

OK, so I have not seen the entire Parliamentary Committee, so I don't know the entire transaction.

*IF* Minister St. Onge was speaking entirely in English during the committee meeting, and switched to French just because he doesn't like Rachael Thomas... then St. Onge my friends was being a dick.

???

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on December 01, 2023, 11:27:07 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2023, 11:25:25 AM

???

My mistake.  I saw the name Pascale St. Onge and thought Pascale was a male name.  I'm not familiar with this person.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.