News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I'm using chalice to form an adverb that in that context was denoting something like "greatly".
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2023, 09:29:05 PMCalissment?  Scarfishly?  You guys crack me up.
Câlisse = chalis

calissement is the adverb derived from the word :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Asoka.  I thought it was that scarf thing the priests wear.

So cuply.

Zoupa

HVC

What she did was dumb, but she didn't ask for them to "speak white". Be better.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

Jacob

Is "speak white" something people still say these days?

I remember occasionally hearing the phrase in the 90s, but I haven't come across it in years.

Zoupa

No idea. I was told to speak white once, as a teenager, early 90s.

That's not really the point though, guys...

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on November 30, 2023, 05:43:07 PMNo idea. I was told to speak white once, as a teenager, early 90s.

That's not really the point though, guys...

100% aligned with you that St-Onge should be able to speak French while conducting business in parliament (or, indeed, living her life in Canada).

Admiral Yi

Speaking different languages based on party politics is kinda weird.

Grey Fox

I've heard St-Onge speak English. It's not a good idea if you want to understand anything.

Speak White indeed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

This is what Zoupa accused of meaning "speak white".

Quote"Minister, I noticed that you answered my questions in French, but other questions you answered in English if they're from your Liberal colleagues. I realize it's completely your choice, we're a bilingual country, but if at all possible I'd love to have an English answer," Thomas said.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2023, 06:37:50 PMSpeaking different languages based on party politics is kinda weird.

It is more likely that the nature of the question being asked by the Conservative member was such that it was more appropriate to answer it in the language in which he felt more comfortable.

The Conservative then tried to make a pretty point that really only petty people would appreciate.  To her credit she realized her error and apologized rather than doubling down and making a further silly comment.

Zoupa

Jesus Christ.

Les deux solitudes. Soit ils veulent pas comprendre, ou bedonc ils font exprès d'être épais. Je sais pas pourquoi je m'obstine encore après 20 ans de la même marde à poster sur le sujet.

HVC

Quote from: Zoupa on November 30, 2023, 08:05:17 PMJesus Christ.

Les deux solitudes. Soit ils veulent pas comprendre, ou bedonc ils font exprès d'être épais. Je sais pas pourquoi je m'obstine encore après 20 ans de la même marde à poster sur le sujet.

vous utilise une terme raciste pour aggraver une mauvaise chose. ce n'est pas necessaire. C'est deja mauvais.

I get it, you abandoned the Belle province for the most anglo of provinces so you're over compensating, but it's unnecessary.

Also pardon the crappy French. Samsung spell checks work in French too, while set to English. Neat.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.