News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2023, 12:12:49 PMI've sidestepped because I'm not interested in playing your game. I think your game is strange because you state you are hung up on blackwashing but don't seem all that concerned about say whitewashing (or at least I don't recall much of that from you).

I will say that I think it is strange to spend time projecting modern thoughts on racial construction to choice of actor of historical figures from 2000 years ago.

If you feel it's a game then fine, I'll just assume you're fine with it and move on from there.  no point arguing since we won't get anywhere.

QuoteBTW, I pointedly said I was not calling such hang ups racist.

then I take back my perception of you calling me a racist.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 14, 2023, 11:10:43 PMRead a retrospective review on the Guardian website of the 2003 Master and Commander movie and felt obliged to watch it again. Feels like an even better movie now than when I first watched it 20 years ago.

Master and Commander is one of my all-time favourites.  I have watched it many times.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

I have a strong feeling that Napoleon is going to be a terrible film that looks great and has excellent production value.  It will be a series of scenes from the life of Napoleon loosely linked together without a guiding vision.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2023, 12:00:10 PMIt's a very old Western idea that crops up again and again, that local natives cannot possibly have conceived and achieved impressive works and that foreigners, as if by magic often of the person's own race, must have done so. From Great Zimbabwe being the work of Solomon to Germans obviously having helped plan Pearl Harbor, it's a story on repeat.

Did people ever actually think that?  I only know "the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour" as a joke line from Animal House.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2023, 12:36:56 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2023, 12:00:10 PMIt's a very old Western idea that crops up again and again, that local natives cannot possibly have conceived and achieved impressive works and that foreigners, as if by magic often of the person's own race, must have done so. From Great Zimbabwe being the work of Solomon to Germans obviously having helped plan Pearl Harbor, it's a story on repeat.

Did people ever actually think that?  I only know "the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour" as a joke line from Animal House.

IIRC Fuchida claimed that, when he was at the Tokyo trials (as a witness) and told an American officer who he was and that he had planned the airstrike on Pearl, the response was "Really? We thought it had to be Germans!". I am paraphrasing from memory, I don't have his book at hand.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Thinking some more I wouldn't be surprised if (lack of) familiarity is a factor in the weird American perception of Africa. Growing up in Stockholm, Sweden, I interacted with people from West Africa, East Africa, and North Africa (no South Africans IIRC until later). My impression is that there are many Americans who don't know any Africans.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2023, 01:28:10 PMThinking some more I wouldn't be surprised if (lack of) familiarity is a factor in the weird American perception of Africa. Growing up in Stockholm, Sweden, I interacted with people from West Africa, East Africa, and North Africa (no South Africans IIRC until later). My impression is that there are many Americans who don't know any Africans.

You can't turn around here without tripping over an African.  They're everywhere.  Every Uber driver, every food delivery, every Amazon driver.  A quarter of the football and basketball players in college and the pros.

I have not seen tons of North Africans.

The Brain

Thanks. Then the reason lies elsewhere.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2023, 01:31:43 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2023, 01:28:10 PMThinking some more I wouldn't be surprised if (lack of) familiarity is a factor in the weird American perception of Africa. Growing up in Stockholm, Sweden, I interacted with people from West Africa, East Africa, and North Africa (no South Africans IIRC until later). My impression is that there are many Americans who don't know any Africans.

You can't turn around here without tripping over an African.  They're everywhere.  Every Uber driver, every food delivery, every Amazon driver.  A quarter of the football and basketball players in college and the pros.

North Africans blend quite nicely since they're white.
Just like the Greeks, Italians, Balkan-peoples, Spanish, (Western)-Turks (which are greeks anyways :p) and the Levantines and I guess a majority of the arabs. So not always scandinavian pale or english-touched-by-the-sun-red but more like if you tanned half of the people north of the Alps
And there's of course a not inconsiderable influx of more northern european stock from when the Vandals struck and of course the Barbary pirate slave raids.

Admiral Yi

Thanks for the informative lecture.  :)

Josquius

On you wouldn't complain if they were white... I do recall a few years a movie named Gods of Egypt attracted a fair bit of controversy for its cast of north European descent people.

██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2023, 01:31:43 PM

They're here.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on November 15, 2023, 02:04:50 PMOn you wouldn't complain if they were white... I do recall a few years a movie named Gods of Egypt attracted a fair bit of controversy for its cast of north European descent people.

That was dumb too. Everyone knows they should have had animal heads :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 15, 2023, 02:08:00 PMThey're here.

You guys get all the hott immigrants.  Fuckheads. :mad:

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2023, 02:10:26 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 15, 2023, 02:08:00 PMThey're here.

You guys get all the hott immigrants.  Fuckheads. :mad:

You get more latinas than us, if that's your thing :D