News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

50% of Canadians are conservative? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2023, 09:38:15 AM50% of Canadians are conservative? :P
Meh.
You're a hard to follow bunch.

How you guys can go from equating Justin Trudeau to Jesus to seeing Poilièvre as you new Saviour, I still do not understand.

And they say Quebec is complicated.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Because they keep looking for the solutions to their problems in the wrong box.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2023, 09:50:34 AM
Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2023, 09:38:15 AM50% of Canadians are conservative? :P
Meh.

How you guys can go from equating Justin Trudeau to Jesus to seeing Poilièvre as you new Saviour, I still do not understand.

I don't think immigration in of itself is a problem, but more so where people move to. Canada is too concentrated in too few cities.

Besides, if we want to build new houses we need immigrants. Locals don't want to go into construction, you know that :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 31, 2023, 10:02:01 AMBecause they keep looking for the solutions to their problems in the wrong box.

We* can't get other provinces to pay for our problems, so we need other solutions :P

*except the Maritimes :D

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2023, 10:22:08 AM
Meh.

I don't think immigration in of itself is a problem, but more so where people move to. Canada is too concentrated in too few cities.

Besides, if we want to build new houses we need immigrants. Locals don't want to go into construction, you know that :P

That's not the Quebec way.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 31, 2023, 10:40:58 AM
Meh.

Which part, the construction workers or the concentrated immigration?

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2023, 10:22:08 AMI don't think immigration in of itself is a problem, but more so where people move to. Canada is too concentrated in too few cities.

Immigrants are super heroes.  At the same time, they leech off wellfare and they take all jobs. ;)

The problem with immigration is that lately it was too quick over a too short period.  We didn't have the infrastructure to accommodate so many people over such a short period of time.  And there was no plan to build any of that infrastructure, obviously, nor any plan to integrate these immigrants with the skills into our workforce.  A Palestinian or Syrian doctor may or may not be skilled to be a doctor here, but regardless, he will be a taxi/Uber driver.

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2023, 10:22:08 AMBesides, if we want to build new houses we need immigrants. Locals don't want to go into construction, you know that :P

I'm retired from this sector, I'm not supposed to know anything anymore. :P

Yeah, I know, but it's not just a matter of receiving them and putting them to work.  Even in other provinces where it's much less complicated than Quebec, some work sites require unionization.

There's barely no contractors hiring unskilled labor anymore over here, it's all registered workers now.  The govt has announced a simplification of the card system and an acceleration of the required training, but I'm doubtful it will provide the required effects.

The FTQ still control much of what is going on, and if they say a Black guy or an Arab does not work, he does not work.  No contractor will want to go against the union.  And women still represent less than 3% of the workforce.  Lot's of talk, little action.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2023, 10:44:16 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 31, 2023, 10:40:58 AM
Meh.

Which part, the construction workers or the concentrated immigration?

Construction workers, like Vipers mentioned, is still mostly white men.

Quebec is highly concentrated around Montreal.

HVC

Portuguese and Italian people are white :D

But yes, you're both right, unions have and continue to change construction. They're good for safety (kind of, pretty easy to get around it and you know when inspectors are coming) but it also throws up unnecessary barriers. Guess it's the nature of guilds.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2023, 11:32:13 AMPortuguese and Italian people are white :D
My dad worked with Italians in Montreal.  He hated them. One week, before vacation time, he told everyone to clean their mess, and make sure to store any material and tools in their own shed and trucks before Thursday.

Come Thursday, the Italians hadn't cleaned their stuff.  Dad came in with his crew and threw everything in the garbage bin.  Paint cans, paint brush, plaster, pants, everything went in. Their foreman was in the container on Friday morning to get back what he could. :D

He loved the Portuguese though.  He wished he could hired some around here as concrete finishers. Sadly, they all stayed in Montreal.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2023, 11:32:13 AMPortuguese and Italian people are white :D

But yes, you're both right, unions have and continue to change construction. They're good for safety (kind of, pretty easy to get around it and you know when inspectors are coming) but it also throws up unnecessary barriers. Guess it's the nature of guilds.

How do a construction union equate to a guild?

construction sector unions function very differently from industrial workplace unions.

crazy canuck

Here is an in-depth piece on the immigration system. It is lengthy but well worth the read.

The underlying premise is that it should be no surprise that the liberal immigration strategy did not work as intended and addresses a number of the flaws in the policy.

It looks like rather than addressing those flaws. The government has decided to simply freeze immigration levels at the current numbers. But if the points made in the article are accurate, that's not going to solve anything, and we'll just keep compounding the problems with the system.

A gifted article so you don't have to worry about the paywall

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/gift/519974dc5e28f762a87fb14c1570523f4fb873adfcfcb945043907ccc3c41650/HTBOOTXNXJGSNETXBG3PRHYCTE/

viper37

QuoteFor years, the Trudeau government has rapidly brought in newcomers it cannot house
If only someone had spoken of this before?

QuoteNewcomers are not to blame
Of course not!  They're victims of the policies, like us.  But it doesn't change the facts.  Too many people in a short time creates various problems.

QuoteThis country has avoided the anti-immigration backlashes seen in many European countries and the United States in recent years. A cursory review of Canada's past [color=var(--color-grey-700)]suggests[/color] it would be naive to think we can escape this trend indefinitely. Canadian attitudes toward immigration have historically tracked economic conditions – and there are growing signs we are at an inflection point.
Oh, it's coming.  I read a conservative board on Reddit, and it's coming.  More Liberals voters are switching over to this point of view, and even left-leaning voters from other parties are switching to this pov and the natural opposition is getting quieter.

crazy canuck

I am glad you read the article.  What did you think about the analysis that we have been allowing the wrong people with the wrong incentives?