News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

It is what usually happens when interacting with BB.  If one describes the worst attributes of the right wing, he self identifies with that aspect of the right wing and assumes the dig is at him.

The fact he self identifies as being the target is often baffling but there it is.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 27, 2023, 01:04:27 PM
QuoteAs for politicians you'd like to have a drink with - come on try and tell me Boris Johnson wouldn't be a hilarious drinking companion.  Didn't mean he was a great leader, but he had that kind of charm.
Famous for never buying a round/quietly disappearing before his <_<

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

The BC government passed legislation putting significant limits on short term rentals. Based on news reports and social media activity, it seems like people are anticipating it to be fairly effective.

It will be interesting to see how much of an impact it will have.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2023, 02:49:06 PMThe BC government passed legislation putting significant limits on short term rentals. Based on news reports and social media activity, it seems like people are anticipating it to be fairly effective.

It will be interesting to see how much of an impact it will have.

Good. Hopefully Ontario will follow.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

The news and social media are full of "Airbnb operator says 'this will run my business!'" stories. There were reports that Airbnb was asking owners to contact their local MLAs to oppose the legislation too. So it seems like it'll have an impact on the business. It turns out there's limited sympathy for the operators' plight in the current discourse.

The question is to what degree it will impact the price and availability of rentals.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2023, 01:17:34 PMIt is what usually happens when interacting with BB.  If one describes the worst attributes of the right wing, he self identifies with that aspect of the right wing and assumes the dig is at him.

The fact he self identifies as being the target is often baffling but there it is.

You guys also seem to always react like you've never interacted with religious people before.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2023, 02:53:55 PMThe news and social media are full of "Airbnb operator says 'this will run my business!'" stories. There were reports that Airbnb was asking owners to contact their local MLAs to oppose the legislation too. So it seems like it'll have an impact on the business. It turns out there's limited sympathy for the operators' plight in the current discourse.

The question is to what degree it will impact the price and availability of rentals.

I assume screwing over Airbnb is part of the plan. Again I say good. As for the effect on rentals a few pages back I linked a report that said over 50% of condos built in Toronto since 2016 have been bought by investors. Half of "normal" houses too.  So should help the rental market, and the buyers market too. Not overnight, but once the mortgage costs build up it'll happen. People using condos as collateral for other condos will domino as well, boosting even more stock.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 27, 2023, 02:59:43 PMYou guys also seem to always react like you've never interacted with religious people before.

:lol:

Maybe you're right, though. I don't frequently discuss politics with people who've declared a religious stake in their politics.

Most people I interact with keep their religion (if any) separate from their interactions with me, so it's never really signified.

HVC

It goes beyond the religious thing. There's a reason this place has been whittled down to like two self proclaimed conservatives that I can think of off hand (both canadians coincidentally).

To be fair to Jacob I don't think he chases BB around insulting him, but that can't be said for everyone here. And to be 100% honest even I'm not innocent. I called conservatism (not conservatives) mean spirited. BB didn't like that :D .

Grey Fox

As long as we have YI, we'll always be full of Conservatives.

I try to see things from other people perspective. The motivations of RoC, especially western RoC, is quite confounding to me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on October 27, 2023, 03:15:15 PMIt goes beyond the religious thing. There's a reason this place has been whittled down to like two self proclaimed conservatives that I can think of off hand (both candies coincidentally).

Do you think the number of conservatives has declined out of proportion to the general decline Languish has experienced?

QuoteTo be fair to Jacob I don't think he chases BB around insulting him, but that can't be said for everyone here. And to be 100% honest even I'm not innocent. I called conservatism (not conservatives) mean spirited. BB didn't like that :D .

There's a lot of going around and insulting people here. I don't think conservatism or the lack thereof figures particularly high among the causes.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 27, 2023, 03:22:42 PMI try to see things from other people perspective. The motivations of RoC, especially western RoC, is quite confounding to me.

I very much appreciate the perspective from Quebec - and other points East of the Rockies - as well :cheers:

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on October 27, 2023, 03:24:59 PMRight, forgot Yi. 3 then :P

We have a reasonable number of european right-wingers as well. I think.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 27, 2023, 11:58:40 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 27, 2023, 11:52:25 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 27, 2023, 11:48:31 AMThe First Nations claim her as First Nation. That's good enough for me.
They she's adopted now.  It's different than what she claimed.

There's a lot of hypocrisy here from activists.

Someone born from white parents claim to be First Nations and speak for First Nations, then they become First Nation over time as the lie grows.

But wear rastas and its cultural appropriation.

Not exactly the same. Although I guess a rastsfarian elder could welcome a white dude with dreads :P

Actually I don't think rastafarianism is racial.
There was a huge debate about white people having dreadlocks.

Dear white people with dreadlocks

Another stupid, pointless debate.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.