News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2023, 04:27:13 PMLooks like Facebook is following through with their "no news on FB in Canada" in response to the legislation. We'll see how it plays out.

Also been seeing "Facebook is going to block news for Canadians so download all our apps" commercials on TV.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

That'd be a positive, I think - if folks actually use the apps and sites of the news sources they like to consume.

Jacob

Seems like a current line of attack on Trudeau is to blame him for the housing crisis.

I reckon it is going resonate well. My question to you is how legitimate is it? What should the feds do?

Grey Fox

The left thinking is to have the federal build housing like they did in the 70s.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 01, 2023, 09:27:45 PMThe left thinking is to have the federal build housing like they did in the 70s.

This was more coming from the right, but clearly aimed at channeling populist anger. Main thing seems to be "housing is obviously a federal responsibility and Trudeau fucked it up."

HVC

It's not like canada was known for its affordable housing under Harper.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2023, 01:21:05 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 01, 2023, 09:27:45 PMThe left thinking is to have the federal build housing like they did in the 70s.

This was more coming from the right, but clearly aimed at channeling populist anger. Main thing seems to be "housing is obviously a federal responsibility and Trudeau fucked it up."

Does the RoC really thinks that?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 02, 2023, 05:55:26 AMDoes the RoC really thinks that?

I don't think so, but in the last week or so I've seen what seems to be an attempt to push that narrative.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2023, 08:41:07 PMSeems like a current line of attack on Trudeau is to blame him for the housing crisis.

I reckon it is going resonate well. My question to you is how legitimate is it? What should the feds do?

Well at a certain point, once you've been PM for 8 years and counting you're responsible for the state of the country, good and bad.

While housing is much more primarily a provincial/municipal issue, the Feds certainly have a role to play, what through their ability to regulate banks, ownership of CMHC, and just the general power of the purse.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Justin Trudeau and his wife decide to separate.

Barrister

Generally speaking I don't want to go into the personal lives of politicians.  I certainly feel for the Trudeau's children in this separation.

But I think I can make this observation - Trudeau kind of has a problem with women, doesn't he?  He certainly didn't get along with Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott, kicking both out of cabinet.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2023, 08:41:07 PMSeems like a current line of attack on Trudeau is to blame him for the housing crisis.

Who decided it was a good idea to increase immigration to record level?
We do not have the infrastructure to support all the refugees + the immigration level the Feds want.

Not that I didn't beat that drum before.

Get use to these camps in Toronto and elsewhere.  Migrants and locals happily experiencing local Canadian life.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: PRC on August 02, 2023, 12:03:05 PMJustin Trudeau and his wife decide to separate.
Strange that a Federalist politician would promote seperation.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2023, 12:11:30 PMGenerally speaking I don't want to go into the personal lives of politicians.  I certainly feel for the Trudeau's children in this separation.

But I think I can make this observation - Trudeau kind of has a problem with women, doesn't he?  He certainly didn't get along with Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott, kicking both out of cabinet.

:lol:

"I'm against using politician's personal lives against them, but in this case I'll make an exception...."

But no, I don't think the immediate go-to explanation for Trudeau's conflicts with Wilson-Raybould or Philpott is "he has problems with women."

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on August 02, 2023, 12:52:28 PM
Quote from: PRC on August 02, 2023, 12:03:05 PMJustin Trudeau and his wife decide to separate.
Strange that a Federalist politician would promote seperation.

:lol: