News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 02, 2023, 07:57:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 02, 2023, 06:33:49 PMOne more reason why Quebec should seperate from Canada, to avoid such bullshit justice.
5 months in prison for beating his daughters

QuoteIgnorance
In her decision, Judge Vanasse mentions that the father, of Moroccan origin, has been in Canada for 10 years. He himself allegedly suffered "light corporal punishment during his childhood".
"With regard to the moral culpability of the accused, the Court must consider the fact that his behavior can be tolerated or accepted in his country of origin, without completely annihilating it", she underlines.
This leads to a lack of knowledge of the different forms of domestic violence, indicates the accused's pre-sentence report.
It should be noted that by order of the court, the father notably participates in an assistance program as well as in workshops on anger management and parenthood.

<sigh>

See, that's the totally insane part of multiculturalism that, for some reason, we must embrace.

Guys - Crown asked for 6 months, defence asked for a conditional discharge.  Judge gave 5 months.  That's a strong sentence.  Saying the stuff about how the dad was raised just helps to appeal-proof the decision.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2023, 06:42:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2023, 12:11:30 PMGenerally speaking I don't want to go into the personal lives of politicians.  I certainly feel for the Trudeau's children in this separation.

But I think I can make this observation - Trudeau kind of has a problem with women, doesn't he?  He certainly didn't get along with Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott, kicking both out of cabinet.

And there was that female PM he beat the shit out of in Parliament.  :D

"beat the shit out of" is too strong, but yeah that too.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2023, 09:56:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2023, 06:42:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2023, 12:11:30 PMGenerally speaking I don't want to go into the personal lives of politicians.  I certainly feel for the Trudeau's children in this separation.

But I think I can make this observation - Trudeau kind of has a problem with women, doesn't he?  He certainly didn't get along with Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott, kicking both out of cabinet.

And there was that female PM he beat the shit out of in Parliament.  :D

"beat the shit out of" is too strong, but yeah that too.

Not merely too strong.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

These protestors are late in the news.

-Justin Trudeau invites Taylor Swift to tour Canada.

- Justin dumps Sophie

- Taylor Swift's tour will finally stop in Canada.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

CRTC just opened up the big threes networks regional companies. So in theory cheaper cell phone bills soon through competition. But what's probably going to happen is the smaller companies will just charge what the big companies do.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

When it happened in the ISP space, prices were reduced significantly. Hopefully, we will see cheaper small data allowance plan marketed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/gift/519974dc5e28f762a87fb14c1570523f4fb873adfcfcb945043907ccc3c41650/NUE4AKPCENHG3NCH5NWCK7MLXQ/

Interesting opinion piece in the Globe which partly answers the Jacob's question of whether PP's attack on Trudeau on housing is valid.  Short answer-yes and it will work.

Sheilbh

I mentioned before but young conservatives and the more smart centre-right think-tanks here are watching this with a lot of interest (and are, frankly, incredibly jealous). Especially as the Tories here are doubling down on restricting housing supply in various ways.

I'm encouraged by Labour's plans but not totally convinced they're radical enough which slightly concerns me. I don't know about Canada but I think in the UK whichever party actually fixes the issue and allows normal young people on average salaries to afford to buy a home and start a family will set the terms of politics for the next generation.

Edit: It depends who takes over after Sunak loses at the election - but I wouldn't be surprised to see the next leader of the Tories (if they're smart and decide they want office again) to spend a lot of time looking at housing and Poilievre on this. For example I'd expect it of Kemi Badenoch given her whole style/pitch so far.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

The Canadian government has issued a travel advisory to the US for people of the LGBTQ minority warning them that certain States might restricts their rights and they should use some precautions before traveling.

Basically, the same kind of advice given for Russia and some Middle Eastern countries.
https://globalnews.ca/news/9926172/canada-us-lgbtq-travel/

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 29, 2023, 12:31:08 PMThe Canadian government has issued a travel advisory to the US for people of the LGBTQ minority warning them that certain States might restricts their rights and they should use some precautions before traveling.   So not at all similar to Russia which remains a do not travel area.

Basically, the same kind of advice given for Russia and some Middle Eastern countries.

No, the advice for travellers to the US remains a green status meaning - use usual safety precautions. 

What was added is this statement:

2SLGBTQI+ travellers

Some states have enacted laws and policies that may affect 2SLGBTQI+ persons. Check relevant state and local laws.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2023, 01:56:51 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 29, 2023, 12:31:08 PMThe Canadian government has issued a travel advisory to the US for people of the LGBTQ minority warning them that certain States might restricts their rights and they should use some precautions before traveling.  So not at all similar to Russia which remains a do not travel area.

No, the advice for travellers to the US remains a green status meaning - use usual safety precautions. 

What was added is this statement:

2SLGBTQI+ travellers

Some states have enacted laws and policies that may affect 2SLGBTQI+ persons. Check relevant state and local laws.
That wasn't there a few months ago for these minorities.
It is a notable change that there is this kind of statement.
Russia is obviously worst today because of that war, but it begun just like that.

crazy canuck

The median price for a detached home in greater Vancouver just hit 2.4m.  That's not the city, that is all the suburbs.

The Liberal's tin ear and lack of any policy on the housing affordability issue is going to cost them the election.  At least in this area.  And of course it is the urban centres the Libs need to win.