News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Thing is, JT is basically right. Gender identity stuff hasn't really been on the radar of Muslims (or anyone else for that matter) until the reactionary American right decided to make it their rallying cry. Iran famously has provided funding for gender reassignment surgery, for example.

He is also right that the far right is staunchly anti-Muslim.

The article you're sharing is an example of the right wing using gender identity to score political points - in this case, to attack JT.

crazy canuck

Quote"First of all, there is an awful lot of misinformation and disinformation out there. People on social media, particularly fuelled by the American right-wing, are spreading a lot of untruths about what's actually in the provincial curriculums."

Correct - in fact we had an example in this thread not too long ago.

Quote"Now if you look at the various curriculums, you'll see that there is not what is being said out there about aggressive teaching or conversion of kids to being LGBT. That is something that is being weaponized by people who are not doing it because of their interest in supporting the Muslim community."

Also correct

QuoteTrudeau says these right-wing forces are "using those fears to drive a wedge between a government that will always stand up for all your rights, just like I will always stand up for the rights of LGBT kids, including if they're LGBT Muslim kids," as opposed to "the Islamophobia pushed by the previous Conservative government in a whole bunch of different ways" such as "a political campaign against the niqab" and a "snitch line against Muslims."

Not entirely correct, the underlined portion is an exaggeration that is not true. The Liberals did not do anything to challenge laws promulgated in Quebec that are clearly contrary to the Charter.  In fact we hear not one peep out of a government that claims to "always" stand up for your rights.  But its a fib that has no real political significance.  He gets to play to his base by saying he always stands up for rights, without doing harm to his chances in Quebec by actually doing so.

But the rest of it is entirely correct.  We have discussed it many times, but that snitch line was really a stupid idea during that election campaign and likely cost Harper another term as PM.  It also meant we had to endure several terms of Trudeau as PM as the Right in Canada engaged in their age old fascination with self destruction.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on July 14, 2023, 10:09:51 AMThing is, JT is basically right. Gender identity stuff hasn't really been on the radar of Muslims (or anyone else for that matter) until the reactionary American right decided to make it their rallying cry. Iran famously has provided funding for gender reassignment surgery, for example.

He is also right that the far right is staunchly anti-Muslim.

The article you're sharing is an example of the right wing using gender identity to score political points - in this case, to attack JT.
Gender identity wasn't an issue for anyone in the 80s or the 90s either.  It wasn't an issue in the early 2000s.  It became an issue recently in politics because there is prolification of activist cause and transgender social issues.

There are more and more transgender in our societies, there are drag queen story time for kids, something that was inexistant in 2001, there are drag queen tv show for kids, there are transgender issues in schools and so on.

It's the new homosexuality, in a way.

While Iran was okay with sex reassignment surgery, it was to hide its homophobic laws.  It wasn't ok to live as a non operated transgender because that would be seen as a homosexual relationship.  The surgery was there to normalize it as an heterosexual relationship.

So, no, he isn't right.  Transphobia developed naturally in Islam as it developed in Christianity, just like homophobia and women's rights issues like anti-abortion laws.

Saudi Arabia didn't inspire itself from Christian values to open its Sharia schools all over the Muslim world.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2023, 10:58:14 AMIn fact we hear not one peep out of a government that claims to "always" stand up for your rights.  But its a fib that has no real political significance.  He gets to play to his base by saying he always stands up for rights, without doing harm to his chances in Quebec by actually doing so.
He's doing what the Liberals always do: talk a lot and do nothing.  He's talked a lot against the law and about Canadian values, and he provided funding to those who challenged the law.  The NDP and Québec Solidaire also backed those who opposed the law.

Short of, again, sending the army in Quebec, I don't what you exected him to do.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

The anglosphere has had drags tell stories to children for 60 years.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 14, 2023, 07:04:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2023, 10:58:14 AMIn fact we hear not one peep out of a government that claims to "always" stand up for your rights.  But its a fib that has no real political significance.  He gets to play to his base by saying he always stands up for rights, without doing harm to his chances in Quebec by actually doing so.
He's doing what the Liberals always do: talk a lot and do nothing.  He's talked a lot against the law and about Canadian values, and he provided funding to those who challenged the law.  The NDP and Québec Solidaire also backed those who opposed the law.

Short of, again, sending the army in Quebec, I don't what you exected him to do.

The proper legal step to take was to take part in the case.  The Feds get to be a party in all constitutional cases.  In fact notice must be given to the Feds of all constitutional cases so they can intervene. But they were a no show.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 14, 2023, 09:10:55 PMThe anglosphere has had drags tell stories to children for 60 years.
Sesame Street doesn't count. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 14, 2023, 09:10:55 PMThe anglosphere has had drags tell stories to children for 60 years.
RETVRN.

There's photos of panto dames to at least the 1890s - from 1897:

But even in drawings of panto as far back as it goes to the early 19th century there are dames - and I suspect it was always a part of music hall/variety performances too.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Something to cheer BB.  More and more of my friend group have had it with Trudeau, for various reasons.  I am hearing them say that if the Cons run a good candidate, that is likely the way they will vote.

It is an interesting change, these are people who are very critical of PP.  But it goes to show the growing frustration with Trudeau.

Josephus

I think it would do the Libs good for him to step down.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Is there time for him to do so?

crazy canuck

I would think the timing would be just about perfect for the Libs.  PP has been successfully building the case against Trudeau personally.  If the Libs change leaders now, all that goes for naught.  And the focus of the media will be on the new leader. 

The Conservatives have to be hoping that does not happen, and luckily for them I think there is very little chance Trudeau and the circle that surrounds him will be self aware enough to make the prudent call on this one.

Jacob

Looks like Facebook is following through with their "no news on FB in Canada" in response to the legislation. We'll see how it plays out.

viper37

Just posted something and it worked.