Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on July 06, 2023, 12:39:32 AMOn a lighter note, in an attempt to make Prigozhin look ridiculous, the Russian police has released some photos allegedly found at his Moscow apartment.

They have succeeded.

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1676709862753853443

Tweets are visible again?

Legbiter

Americans are going to ship over their old Cold War artillery cluster munitions.  :hmm: 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jacob

Quote from: Maladict on July 06, 2023, 07:43:32 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 06, 2023, 12:39:32 AMOn a lighter note, in an attempt to make Prigozhin look ridiculous, the Russian police has released some photos allegedly found at his Moscow apartment.

They have succeeded.

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1676709862753853443

Tweets are visible again?

Don't you get to look at X tweets a day?

celedhring

Sheilbh

:lol:

Was he credited for his Borat cameo?
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

I don't know if that will make him less popular, though.  Anything that makes him public image more complex is to his benefit (unless it's all moot because he was nabbed in St. Petersburg while picking up his cash).  What is usually weird becomes eccentric when done by people with power.

HVC

It's always nice when a war criminal has a sense of humour.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Legbiter

I like the Elton John version of Prig the most.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 06, 2023, 05:28:34 AMEdit: On the other hand, Dev going to the German embassy to offer his condolences after Hitler's death - which Ireland later discovered was not how other neutral states had responded much to their embarrassment.

There is or was still some controversy in Portugal among circles about the half-mast flags during a couple days of "mourning" for the death of Hitler but it was the rule for any state with which Portugal had diplomatic relations.

Back then, it was claimed that Portugal was the only neutral nation which did so.

Portuguese link with a comparison with the Irish case.
https://www.publico.pt/2012/11/06/jornal/repor-a-verdade-25538317

Sheilbh

Yeah. Same in Ireland plus Dev paying his respects to the ambassador - who by that point probably had other concerns.

It was only after that was done and caused huge outrage in the UK and US that they checked with their embassies in Spain, Sweden, Switzerland etc and discovered that the governments there hadn't followed protocol in relation to Hitler :lol: :bleeding:

Although based on my understanding of Dev, I think he might have anyway...
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Difference being Salazar went personally to the US Embassy to offer his sympathies for the death of US President Roosevelt.  :P

He did not go to the German embassy for Hitler.
Some sources refer to an official telegram of condolences sent to Germany, however, as Ireland.
 :hmm:

Barrister

Here's a fun story from Russia:

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1677031958075916290

Russian propogandists are making a movie.  It's set in Ukraine, although filmed in Russia.  As part of the movie there's a scene with a crowd of people waving both Ukrainian and rainbow flags (because Ukrainians are all fags or some such).

Someone forgot to notify the FSB however, as people from the film company were arrested on the spot.

It links a Russian news site as a source, but I can't open that Russian page (and can't read Russian anyways) so take it for what you will.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 05, 2023, 04:39:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2023, 04:16:25 PMDo the Russian nukes even work?

As we've seen throughout the war, Russian military equipment doesn't work well and has flaws, but it still on some basic level works.  We know their missiles work after all.

Are the missiles more modern than their nuclear arsenal?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2023, 02:36:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2023, 04:16:25 PMDo the Russian nukes even work?

As we've seen throughout the war, Russian military equipment doesn't work well and has flaws, but it still on some basic level works.  We know their missiles work after all.

The Russians say that most of their nuclear arsenal has been modernized...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2023, 02:41:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2023, 02:36:15 PM

The Russians say that most of their nuclear arsenal has been modernized...
Thanks