Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2023, 12:37:03 PMAllegedly Prigozhin himself announced in audio that it is over. WTF. Massive letdown.

Handlers got cold feet, or fell out some windows?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Is the Ride of the Wagnerites over?  :hmm:

Tamas

SO what, planes shot down, fuel depots bombed, mines laid, and then everyone's like "fine, payments agreed, lets go back to business as usual"? What a fucked up country.

Duque de Bragança

There would have to be a purge after, at the very least (a late Night of the Long Knives).

Grey Fox

Quote from: Maladict on June 24, 2023, 11:54:43 AMHoly shit, they're only a few hours from Moscow?

I guess the air force isn't going to do anything to stop them.

Late to the party but the Wagner column has a S-400.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

Putin can not be seen to cave like this and Priggy has crossed the Rubicon. This does not add up.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on June 24, 2023, 12:52:24 PMPutin can not be seen to cave like this and Priggy has crossed the Rubicon. This does not add up.

Yeah, very confusing.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, this talk of there being an agreement is deeply weird.

There obviously is a motivation on both sides to come to an agreement--Putin because he can ill afford an internal rebellion, and Prigozhin because he knows he likely cannot win a direct conflict. But there is also a lot of questions about how a stand down, from Prigozhin's perspective, can really work.

Putin has gone on Russian TV and called him a traitor to Russia. Assuming Putin makes security guarantees for Prigozhin and Wagner, how long can he really afford to abide by those? Does someone as paranoid of threats to his rule as Putin just continue on with some sort of peace agreement and not worry that Prigozhin is building an alternative "locus of power" to Putin himself?

Prigo would have to realize this as well, so I can't imagine how he thinks it works out. Wouldn't the logical move be for Putin to negotiate some sort of agreement, then at the first moment where his agents have a clear shot, they assassinate Prigo? There is little chance he can really be safe.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2023, 12:37:03 PMAllegedly Prigozhin himself announced in audio that it is over. WTF. Massive letdown.

That seems ... weird. What kind of agreement can walk back this kind of escalation? It's not like they can just go back to the front lines and continue business as usual. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

What a cock tease this was.

Stopped at the gates of Moscow

Maybe General Winter came early 😀
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

I don't get it.  Surely both Prigozhin and Putin understand that one of them is going to die.  If it looks like Russia is a country of feuding warlords, then Putin loses all power.  If Prigozhin halted his march without getting any power in return, then there is no way he doesn't die as soon as Russia prepares for him properly.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2023, 01:23:53 PMI don't get it.  Surely both Prigozhin and Putin understand that one of them is going to die.  If it looks like Russia is a country of feuding warlords, then Putin loses all power.  If Prigozhin halted his march without getting any power in return, then there is no way he doesn't die as soon as Russia prepares for him properly.

Or maybe it really was a false flag to flush out coconspirators. I mean hotdog boy miscalculated if he went along because he still dies but it kind of makes sense in a weird Russian way.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.