Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: PJL on June 09, 2023, 09:25:58 AMAlso remember there were mulitiple examples of Russian amoured vehicles and tanks shown being destroyed at the stat of the war by the Ukrainians. If the best the Russians can do is just this example, then the Ukranians can't be doing too badly.

Vatniks just released photos of 2 Bradley mobility kills on social media (seem to have hit mines). That's just it, counteroffensives are bloody harrowing affairs. Second battle of El Alamein the 9th Armoured Brigade took enormous casualties to breach the line on the 10th day. The Allies fought for 7 weeks through bocage country in Normandy before they broke through, etc. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Weird shit of the day: it has been confirmed by the vice-PM of Hungary that the Russian Orthodox church (!) has transferred 11 Ukrainian POWs to Hungary(!) on the request of the Hungarian government(!). They are from the border region of Ukraine so I assume they are ethnic Hungarians (but Ukrainian citizens).

Ukraine apparently was not consulted or even informed on this, they learned about it from the news.

Legbiter

Ukrainians seem to have recovered the destroyed Leo from yesterday and will repair it. According to them the crew survived.

https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1667166282825777154

Iormlund

The Machine Spirit lives. Blessed be thy blow-out panels.

Barrister

Quote from: Legbiter on June 09, 2023, 10:40:29 AMUkrainians seem to have recovered the destroyed Leo from yesterday and will repair it. According to them the crew survived.

https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1667166282825777154

This kind of thing could be the bigger difference maker.

The Russians not only lost so many pieces of equipment, they appeared to just abandon them, whereas hopefully the Ukrainians have more of a plan to repair / refurbish.  This goes for soldiers as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Destroyed Bradleys and Leopards:

I guess we just have to send more then.

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on June 09, 2023, 11:54:12 AMDestroyed Bradleys and Leopards:

Yeah I suppose that's the reasonable response.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on June 09, 2023, 11:54:12 AMDestroyed Bradleys and Leopards:

Is that the same ambush or a different one?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

No idea. The comments on this one claimed a helicopter attack.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on June 09, 2023, 07:18:21 AMYeah, I know you're smarter than that and wouldn't really delude yourself in such a way. Its a  "I've got better things to do than play the Grumbler game".

Ah, the old ad hom concession.  When done as a weasel dance like this, it's a good show.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on June 09, 2023, 12:52:18 PMNo idea. The comments on this one claimed a helicopter attack.

That is what it looks like to me, as well.  They'd not be in road column close to the front.  Several appear to be disabled, but others just look abandoned.  Crews might bail if they are under air attack and have nothing to defend themselves with.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Looks like a couple of the Bradleys have thrown treads. Mines?  :hmm: All of them look recoverable. No carbonized crew laying around and the Leo has not done a turret toss.

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on June 09, 2023, 03:36:01 PMLooks like a couple of the Bradleys have thrown treads. Mines?  :hmm: All of them look recoverable. No carbonized crew laying around and the Leo has not done a turret toss.

Evidence of mines was the first thing I thought of, because, like you, I found the tread loss suggestive. But several of the vehicles have no evidence of damage, and two of the Bradleys are facing the opposite direction of the other vehicles, which implies to me evasive driving, which you wouldn't do in a minefield.  That's why I concluded air attack.

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2023, 09:46:06 AMWeird shit of the day: it has been confirmed by the vice-PM of Hungary that the Russian Orthodox church (!) has transferred 11 Ukrainian POWs to Hungary(!) on the request of the Hungarian government(!). They are from the border region of Ukraine so I assume they are ethnic Hungarians (but Ukrainian citizens).

Ukraine apparently was not consulted or even informed on this, they learned about it from the news.

And likely against the Geneva conventions
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"