And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2023, 03:26:06 AM
Quote from: Maladict on February 16, 2023, 11:47:55 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 16, 2023, 08:04:36 AMThe thing is though they've had this setup in Gronginen for years and its fine

They've now started experimenting with banning all motorized traffic, including buses, from the city centre.

Fuck old people I guess.

Eh?
They're the ones who most stand to benefit.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on February 17, 2023, 04:16:16 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 16, 2023, 08:04:36 AMThe thing is though they've had this setup in Gronginen for years and its fine

They've now started experimenting with banning all motorized traffic, including buses, from the city centre.

Fuck old people I guess.

Eh?

From having to walk or cycle if they want to get into the centre?

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on February 17, 2023, 04:16:16 AM

Fuck old people I guess.

Eh?

I guess they could get a piggyback ride downtown :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Vehicles banned from the centre != banned from going to the centre.

██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on February 17, 2023, 04:28:10 AMVehicles banned from the centre != banned from going to the centre.

But no public transportation either. How are the elderly getting there? Might be something I'm missing (tamas too :D )
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on February 17, 2023, 04:28:10 AMVehicles banned from the centre != banned from going to the centre.

What I was alluding to was... if you are having mobility issues, and both cars and buses are verboten to enter the city centre, how do you enter the city centre? And I don't "just" mean disabled people or those already on their little mobility scooters, I mean the not-insignificant number of people who can still function on their own two legs but not really able to walk kilometers on them. Then again maybe such people do not exist in Dutchland.

The Larch

That's the mobility line equivalent to the "won't somebody think of the children?" in all moral panics.

I have no idea exactly how the system works in the Netherlands or in Groningen in particular, but in all kind of systems that restrict car mobility in cities there are always exceptions for ambulances, emergency services, public transport or a combination thereof.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on February 17, 2023, 04:37:15 AMThat's the mobility line equivalent to the "won't somebody think of the children?" in all moral panics.

I have no idea exactly how the system works in the Netherlands or in Groningen in particular, but in all kinid of systems that restrict car mobility in cities there are always exceptions for ambulances, emergency services, public transport or a combination thereof.

Fine but in this specific example they are experimenting with banning public transport. So I guess that still leaves ambulances but I don't think you can employ them for sorting out errands. :p

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on February 17, 2023, 04:32:04 AM

But no public transportation either. How are the elderly getting there? Might be something I'm missing (tamas too :D )

I was thinking of busses when I said vehicles.

QuoteWhat I was alluding to was... if you are having mobility issues, and both cars and buses are verboten to enter the city centre, how do you enter the city centre? And I don't "just" mean disabled people or those already on their little mobility scooters, I mean the not-insignificant number of people who can still function on their own two legs but not really able to walk kilometers on them. Then again maybe such people do not exist in Dutchland.
You take the bus.
Just because busses are banned from driving around the centre doesn't necessarily mean they're banned from going to the centre.
Already the way things usually work in cities around here and I'd presume in Gronginen too given its size is you take your bus to the centre and then you're there. You don't then spend the day taking the bus one stop to the next bit of the centre. London this aint.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on February 17, 2023, 05:08:20 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 17, 2023, 04:32:04 AM

I was thinking of busses when I said vehicles.

QuoteWhat I was alluding to was... if you are having mobility issues, and both cars and buses are verboten to enter the city centre, how do you enter the city centre? And I don't "just" mean disabled people or those already on their little mobility scooters, I mean the not-insignificant number of people who can still function on their own two legs but not really able to walk kilometers on them. Then again maybe such people do not exist in Dutchland.
You take the bus.
Just because busses are banned from driving around the centre doesn't necessarily mean they're banned from going to the centre.
Already the way things usually work in cities around here and I'd presume in Gronginen too given its size is you take your bus to the centre and then you're there. You don't then spend the day taking the bus one stop to the next bit of the centre. London this aint.

:huh: if buses are banned from the city centre how do they go to the city centre? Traversing to a stop isn't banning, it's limiting stops. Unless maladict misspoke?

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on February 17, 2023, 05:23:59 AM:huh: if buses are banned from the city centre how do they go to the city centre? Traversing to a stop isn't banning, it's limiting stops. Unless maladict misspoke?
I've never been to Gronginen so I've no idea how its actually done there but there's a bunch of possibilities. e.g.
Maybe busses are banned from the centre except for one road which goes to the bus station.
Maybe the bus station is on the edge of the centre and not in the banned zone.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2023, 04:45:15 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 17, 2023, 04:37:15 AMThat's the mobility line equivalent to the "won't somebody think of the children?" in all moral panics.

I have no idea exactly how the system works in the Netherlands or in Groningen in particular, but in all kinid of systems that restrict car mobility in cities there are always exceptions for ambulances, emergency services, public transport or a combination thereof.

Fine but in this specific example they are experimenting with banning public transport. So I guess that still leaves ambulances but I don't think you can employ them for sorting out errands. :p

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2023, 04:45:15 AM

Do you really need to go to the city center to do errands?

In any case I don't think we should get super tangled in the particular case of Groningen as nobody here knows very much about it and we might be discussing pointless things, as for instance we don't really know how large the vehicle-free area is meant to be. It could be a small area around the historical center, it could be most of the city barring the suburbs, who knows.

Maladict

Obviously exceptions will be made for the elderly and disabled. But those will be on-demand services, not scheduled public transport.

Sheilbh

I love this. One for how deeply and profoundly the UK has fallen for and is invested in Ukraine; two - because literally none of them are reciprocal :lol:
QuoteJames Johnson
@jamesjohnson252
Closest ally named by the public:

🇧🇷 Brazil: USA
🇨🇦 Canada: UK
🇫🇷 France: Canada
🇩🇪 Germany: France
🇮🇹 Italy: France
🇯🇵 Japan: Taiwan
🇿🇦 S Africa: USA
🇬🇧 UK: Ukraine
🇺🇸 USA: Canada