News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2023, 03:08:13 PMBB said what I'm thinking. I can't think of the last time I've heard details about a Bank of America forecast and now I've heard of it and the follow on forecast on nerd sites.

Oh I think I get what you mean - that basically nerd rage is magnifying and promoting the narrative that Hasbro is fucking up and damaging their own business?

Yeah I can see how that's a possibility. Though, ironically, if the nerds and their rage have that power that could become a self-fulfilling prophecy (both because the nerds are a core constituency of "the Wizards segment", and because whatever narrative prevails end up defining reality in the end).

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on February 09, 2023, 02:59:49 PMIn my read it's at least 50% "don't trust the man, man" sentiment. But conversely, there is also definitely an element of "yeah sure we could just wipe out the secondary cottage industries that have grown up around the licensing agreement, but we totally won't. Totally trust us." And that's not something that's particularly confidence inducing. And Hasbro did a pretty poor job of rolling out their proposed changes, which didn't help.

Which is to say, I think it's about 50% warranted and 50% internet nerd rage. But IMO from a product management perspective it was a fumble from Hasbro's side, whether or not the nerds are being unreasonable.

So I should be careful here, as I've already said I haven't followed that particular story closely.

But it would be hard to say "Hasbro did a pretty poor job of rolling out their proposed changes" - because the proposed changes were only an unpublished draft that leaked.

And also, maybe this isn't what you meant to say but "Hasbro has been making moves to alienate their consumers in the Wizards segment. That's a fact. " is saying that Hasbro was deliberately trying to alienate their consumers.  As ham-fisted and out-of-touch Hasbro might be, I'm pretty sure this damage wasn't intentional.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2023, 03:19:22 PMSo I should be careful here, as I've already said I haven't followed that particular story closely.

But it would be hard to say "Hasbro did a pretty poor job of rolling out their proposed changes" - because the proposed changes were only an unpublished draft that leaked.

It doesn't get much poorer than letting an unpublished draft leak :lol:

But yeah, they might have had something better planned.

QuoteAnd also, maybe this isn't what you meant to say but "Hasbro has been making moves to alienate their consumers in the Wizards segment. That's a fact. " is saying that Hasbro was deliberately trying to alienate their consumers.  As ham-fisted and out-of-touch Hasbro might be, I'm pretty sure this damage wasn't intentional.

I don't think that's what it's saying?  :huh:

In any case, my point is that the moves that Hasbro has made - deliberately or by accident - have alienated vocal parts of their fanbase.

Josquius

Why is it radio stations on Friday and Saturday night all play night club music.

Surely if you're listening to the radio on those evenings it's because you've chosen not to to to a nightclub.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

... or it's for the folks who wish they were at a club, but can't make it. And, I suppose, for those who are going to the club later and / or have left the club.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on February 10, 2023, 04:55:37 PMWhy is it radio stations on Friday and Saturday night all play night club music.

Surely if you're listening to the radio on those evenings it's because you've chosen not to to to a nightclub.

For the people who like to drive around with music blaring to feel cool.

celedhring

The top awards movies at the Spanish film awards - As Bestas and Alcarràs -  both dealth with conflict around renewables being installed in rural areas. Sign of the times, I guess. I thought it was notable.

Incidentally, Alcarràs might be one of the best Catalan language films of all time.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Yeah, good question, what could he possibly mean by that?

HVC

Seppuku sounds cooler then the definition.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

I predicted this several years ago.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2023, 03:33:21 AMI predicted this several years ago.

That a Japanese Yale professor would plagiarize an Inuit retirement custom? I got to admit, that's pretty good :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

celedhring

So, a beleaguered Spanish steel products manufacturer (Celsa) is restructuring debt to avoid financial collapse. One of the demands from the creditors? That the company moves to Luxemburg so it pays less taxes  :rolleyes:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on February 13, 2023, 07:32:42 AMSo, a beleaguered Spanish steel products manufacturer (Celsa) is restructuring debt to avoid financial collapse. One of the demands from the creditors? That the company moves to Luxemburg so it pays less taxes  :rolleyes:

WTF? Can creditors actually ask for such a thing?