Josquius

██████
██████
██████

celedhring

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1580954038535081984

QuoteJimmy Rushton
@JimmySecUK
Many people wondered how Igor Girkin (and others) managed to get away with openly criticising the conduct of Russia's war in Ukraine.

It seems that the Kremlin has had enough of their relative candor - Girkin, Greyzone, Wargonzo etc. are now under criminal investigation.

Oh no! Anyway...

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 14, 2022, 11:55:52 AMhttps://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1580954038535081984

QuoteJimmy Rushton
@JimmySecUK
Many people wondered how Igor Girkin (and others) managed to get away with openly criticising the conduct of Russia's war in Ukraine.

It seems that the Kremlin has had enough of their relative candor - Girkin, Greyzone, Wargonzo etc. are now under criminal investigation.

Oh no! Anyway...

For a moment I thought it was going to say that all of them just coincidentally fell through a window last night.

DGuller

Maybe they tried to fall out of the window, but were saved by the Three Stooges syndrome.

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on October 14, 2022, 11:55:52 AMhttps://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1580954038535081984

QuoteJimmy Rushton
@JimmySecUK

Oh no! Anyway...

Shoigu has feelings too...
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

And the first Russian conscripts are coming home in coffins. So the pipeline is about 3 weeks from draft notice to bodybag. :hmm:

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HVC

Quote from: PDH on October 14, 2022, 05:54:03 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 14, 2022, 04:54:45 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 14, 2022, 11:49:36 AMWell fuck. Musk is amping up the cuntage

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/14/elon-musk-spacex-no-longer-fund-starlink-internet-ukraine

To be fair according to musk it's costing 400 million a year. That's a big ask.

Yeah, He'll go broke in 500 years.

I have a lower opinion if him then most, but we're not asking any other company to give millions away. Although he'll probably get donations credits and come out ahead anyway. But that's lawyers fault :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on October 14, 2022, 11:49:36 AMWell fuck. Musk is amping up the cuntage

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/14/elon-musk-spacex-no-longer-fund-starlink-internet-ukraine

Pass the hat around NATO, we can probably come up with the cash.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Like everything else with Musk, he's lying.

That's factoring a 4500$/month cost for each station and there's tons of evidence on twitter of Ukrainians paying Starlink the regular 40$ subscription.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on October 11, 2022, 10:26:50 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 11, 2022, 10:24:33 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 11, 2022, 10:22:11 AMI still find the Kerch bombing really odd. The whole suicide bombing doesn't really fit Ukrainian M.O., but who knows.

Has anyone but Russia claimed it was suicide bombing?

Seen a few western experts say that the explosion damage suggests it was indeed a truck bomb.
Yeah, but if you hire a patsy to drive your truck and they don't there's a bomb on it, I don't think that should be called a "suicide" bomb. There has to be intent.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Norwegians caught a Russian trying to leave the country with 2 drones, 3 passports and gigabytes of footage of Norwegian energy infrastructure:
https://m.dw.com/en/norway-russian-man-detained-with-2-drones-near-arctic/a-63441134

Legbiter

Pretty good writeup of Elon Musk I thought. :hmm:

QuoteWhy the business world is so bad at politics

Before the ritual self-disembowelment, Yukio Mishima had other ways of getting his point across. The point was that Japan had lost its martial soul in the postwar boom. There was too much of the pocket camera and not enough of the sword for the great writer's chivalric tastes. One of his lesser works, spoofing the consumer cult, tells of an office chump who takes out a tabloid ad. What he puts up for sale is the right to kill him. Mishima performed seppuku two years later.

Zealots, even rightwing ones, don't get business: the pragmatism of it, the lack of absolutes. To judge by Elon Musk's faith that Russia will honour whatever peace deal he has in mind, instead of coming back for more, the incomprehension is mutual.

It is said often enough that business people are all at sea in politics. Allow me a speculation, formed over years in and around both worlds, as to why.

They don't understand fanaticism. They don't believe that something as abstract as an idea can move people to extreme deeds. No, there must be earthly and negotiable grievances under all that mystical bluster. There must be a deal to be done. Consider this a capitalist spin on Engels's notion of false consciousness. An aggressor in war can cite imperial honour and other intangibles as animating drives. "Let's talk", is what someone of a commercial cast of mind hears. Even Donald Trump, who knew something of the extremities of human nature, dealt with strident regimes in transactional terms.

Of those I know who take the Musk view of Ukraine, almost all work in business, mostly in finance. But of course they do. Their world is one of positive-sum deals between good-faith parties, or at least rational ones. There is a third-party enforcer called the commercial courts if someone reneges. They encounter intransigence all the time but never doctrinal fervour. No wonder the war screams out to them to be lastingly bargained away. Theirs is what the French call "déformation professionnelle": the tendency to see the world through the lens of what one does for a living. It is a kind of innocence, not a kind of malice. And no less dangerous for that.

The refusal of business people to take zealots at their word shows up in less life-and-death ways. Take Britain's clown car of a government. Much of the fiscal loosening it announced to such market uproar last month was trailed in advance. Investors simply couldn't believe that Liz Truss had meant it. They couldn't accept she was an ideologue because they can't accept anyone is. She has been panned for her failure to understand their temperament. But the ignorance runs both ways.

Or take the left's march through the corporate world. Speaking to business audiences over the past decade, one trend stands out. Executives more and more report the politicisation of the office. Some are concerned. Most, to my surprise, are keen on "allyship" or whatever jargon they have half-understood from their children or more ornery staff that week.

Now, as someone who aims to retire without ever having managed a single person, I shouldn't presume to guide them on corporate leadership. But I will say this: CEOs, I notice, assume they can decide how far this stuff goes. Their bet is, if you give the cultural left half a loaf, the rest is yours to munch at your leisure. That is what happens in business, after all. But this is politics. And the wilder edge of it, at that. So expect them to come for everything. Expect no concession to be enough. "Marxism" is a word used a lot about campus-radicalised activists. "Leninism" is more accurate. One describes an historically ordained and ultimately harmonious social order. The other insists that it must be fought for, all the time, without quarter.

In a sense, Musk is of a piece with the woke CEOs he seems to define himself against. Neither can fathom the extremist ken. Because no one with a rigid and abstract mind ever thrived in business, neither can credit that it flourishes elsewhere. The tension between dealmaker and true believer is ancient and reciprocal. But it is not quite symmetrical. Mishima, after all, never tried to run Nissan.

https://archive.ph/hwcbm#selection-1401.0-1401.44

I think he's right, Russian imperial ambitions will have to literally bleed to death on the battlefield in Ukraine.