News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on September 10, 2022, 07:24:48 PMHall hail King Justin!

Pierre Poilièvre has just been confirmed as the new leader of her Majesty's loyal opposition, with 68,5% of the vote.

Justin Trudeau will lead a majority government for the next 2 elections.

His.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2022, 12:43:21 AM

Pierre Poilièvre has just been confirmed as the new leader of her Majesty's loyal opposition, with 68,5% of the vote.

I am not so sure about that. For the liberals to win the next election Justin Trudeau will have to step down and that is not going to happen. I think the next election is going to be the conservatives to lose.
PP is popular with Maxime Bernier's fans.  He'll attract them.  People who would already not be voting Liberal will be voting Conservative.  I doubt it will make a difference in the number of MPs elected in the end.

Charest might have recruited some former Liberals to vote for the Conservatives.

They have a definite populist stance that will not appeal to centrist, and the Cons will be a fringe party like the Reform, mostly popular in the Prairies, and a few occasional MPs elsewhere.  No solid base in Ontario and Quebec where they could hope to make gains that will lead them to a majority.

Bigger than Reform, more marginal than Conservatives under Harper.

But that is the will of the members.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 11, 2022, 12:48:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2022, 12:43:21 AM

I am not so sure about that. For the liberals to win the next election Justin Trudeau will have to step down and that is not going to happen. I think the next election is going to be the conservatives to lose.
PP is popular with Maxime Bernier's fans.  He'll attract them.  People who would already not be voting Liberal will be voting Conservative.  I doubt it will make a difference in the number of MPs elected in the end.

Charest might have recruited some former Liberals to vote for the Conservatives.

They have a definite populist stance that will not appeal to centrist, and the Cons will be a fringe party like the Reform, mostly popular in the Prairies, and a few occasional MPs elsewhere.  No solid base in Ontario and Quebec where they could hope to make gains that will lead them to a majority.

Bigger than Reform, more marginal than Conservatives under Harper.

But that is the will of the members.

I think there is a large number of people for whom neither the liberals nor the conservatives are very attractive. Those people are also unlikely to vote for the NDP. Chances are they will stay home.  If that happens the Conservatives have a good shot.

Josephus

Pierre Poilièvre has just been confirmed as the new leader of her his Majesty's loyal opposition, with 68,5% of the vote.

EDIT:
still have problem with our beloved monarch's passing... :roll:

Oh, I don't know about that. Don't overestimate the average voter. Don't underestimate the anti-Trudeau vote. There will be an anti-government vote next election, and i doubut it's gonna go to the NDP.

This idiot's gonna be PM. Get used to it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on September 12, 2022, 05:51:46 AM

Pierre Poilièvre has just been confirmed as the new leader of her his Majesty's loyal opposition, with 68,5% of the vote.

EDIT:
still have problem with our beloved monarch's passing... :roll:

Oh, I don't know about that. Don't overestimate the average voter. Don't underestimate the anti-Trudeau vote. There will be an anti-government vote next election, and i doubut it's gonna go to the NDP.

You don't know the power of the dark side.  Chrétien got elected 3 times in a row, three majority government with the same platform.  And he couldn't speak either of the official language of this country. ;)  He had a profound dislike of French Canadians, as much as any of the Trudeaus, but he still got MPs elected outside of Montreal's West island.  The Martin won, the guy who managed to redress Canada's finance by cutting provincial transfers and making it seem like he was a champion of decentralization.

Do not underestimate the power of the Liberal's machine.  They control the media of this nation.  Less so than before, especially in the age of social media, but still enough to influence the vote.  They have the power, they have the CBC, they have the Globe & Mail, La Presse, and all their affiliates.  They have the money, they have the people, they have the bureaucrats.  Trudeau has been an incompetent Prime Minister for 3 successive mandates and just got reelected by successfully mismanaging the country's covid's response and starving the provinces health care system like Chrétien did before him, deflecting the blame on them and forcing the Premiers to either keep high taxes and deal with an unhappy populace in a time of high inflation or reduce their rate of funding their healthcare systems.  Meanwhile, we're still overtaxed at the federal level for the services we are provided, but no one really complains, hey, people are happy that we are wasting some more money on inefficient programs and some more plane trips for the PM.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I don't expect the CPC to still exist when we reach the 2025 election year.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 12, 2022, 05:51:46 AMOh, I don't know about that. Don't overestimate the average voter. Don't underestimate the anti-Trudeau vote. There will be an anti-government vote next election, and i doubut it's gonna go to the NDP.

Say what you will about Poilievre, but he's no idiot.  He knows what he is doing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 12, 2022, 09:33:47 AMI don't expect the CPC to still exist when we reach the 2025 election year.

This is one of the dumbest political takes I've seen in a long while.  I'm not predicting CPC victory, but that the party will cease to exist in 3 years?  Moronic.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2022, 09:35:26 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 12, 2022, 05:51:46 AMOh, I don't know about that. Don't overestimate the average voter. Don't underestimate the anti-Trudeau vote. There will be an anti-government vote next election, and i doubut it's gonna go to the NDP.

Say what you will about Poilievre, but he's no idiot.  He knows what he is doing.

I used "idiot" as a back handed complement
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2022, 09:36:18 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 12, 2022, 09:33:47 AMI don't expect the CPC to still exist when we reach the 2025 election year.

This is one of the dumbest political takes I've seen in a long while.  I'm not predicting CPC victory, but that the party will cease to exist in 3 years?  Moronic.

It exists in name only.  It has become the party of conspiracy theorists and antivaccers.

viper37

Hmm.  No.  I had my doubts too, but Charest seems to have swallowed his pill.  He only got 16.5% of the vote.  Where do you want him to go?  Had he run up to a second turn with 48-49,5%, he could have rallied support to create a new party.

It's pretty clear right now that most non conspiracy minded conservatives are behind Poiliève and are hoping they can control him and his antics. Reminds me of some historical events I can quite put my finger on... :P

Now seriously, they hope he will tone down his rethoric now that he has power (again, something I've heard elsewhere...) and can beat Trudeau.  I think the Libs spin doctors are going crazy on the champagne right now. :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2022, 09:48:38 PM

It's pretty clear right now that most non conspiracy minded conservatives are behind Poiliève and are hoping they can control him and his antics. Reminds me of some historical events I can quite put my finger on... :P

:D

viper37

Alan Rayes was Quebec's campaign manager for Jean Charest.

He chose to quit the Conservative Party after the loss, saying he doesn't recognize himself in this party anymore.  He's been MP since 2015 in his same riding.  He announced he would be independant as of this week.

Pierre Poilièvre is now sending automated text messages to all his constituents advising them to ask for his resignation.

Dissenssion shall not be tolerated in this new Canada.

Link

The text accuses Rayes of having called it quits with the Conservative party because he 'decided not to fight Trudeau's inflation with Pierre Poilievre's united team'

Just when I thought, "maybe he won't be so bad after all".  Nope, proves me right.

Jacob

Poilievre is doing the classic "I'll bully you if you don't obey me" definition of unity.

crazy canuck

Seeing reports that the Cons are sending out apologies now.  Turns out the guy they attacked is well respected in Conservative circles in Quebec.  Also a bit comforting PP could not go full Trump, at least not in Quebec.