Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2022, 10:23:07 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 02, 2022, 10:05:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2022, 09:49:15 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 02, 2022, 09:20:38 AMOr maybe you were sexualizing something that isn't sexual

Possibly. It reminds of me what I heard once about the Boy Scouts (maybe in Family Guy?): I am not saying the Boy Scouts are pedophiles, but if pedophiles ever created an organisation, it would look like the Boy Scouts.

Similarly, teaching kids its normal that their ass is being constantly patted is probably ok, but if some perv coach wanted to get some feels in, that's exactly what they'd try to teach.

Your reference to a cartoon lampooning adult behaviour is a really good example of what I'm talking about in regards to the warping of views related to sexuality. I don't deny that there are serious sexual abuse instances in both sports and elsewhere and especially involving coaches. My point is focus on those rather than sexualizing all behaviour.

I don't want to debate your views on this since you have far more insight into this culture than myself, but I can absolutely see sexualised behaviours being normalised in the community to the degree of losing that meaning (or rather, hiding that original meaning to the point of members of said community picking those up as non-sexual behaviours and repeating it). I mean, isn't that the process that normally happens under the term "grooming"?

I think it is the other way around, the practice is there because it is an obvious way to encourage someone.  Groomers then take it further, and take advantage of the practices in place that necessarily place coaches in close physical proximity, and often contact with, the athletes they are training, coaching. I think that is why I am objecting to this sexualized characterization, if the situation was that the coach did this, plus other things then we are in full agreement this action is part of grooming activity - but standing alone, I don't so.  If we start sexualizing everything, they this sort of thing gets thrown in with the actions that are very serious and need to be dealt with.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 02, 2022, 01:12:11 PMIncredible 90s moment, like something from the Simpsons:
https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/1565720261990678528?s=20&t=M69kE99HFSEoIc7EDc5sfw

I was a wee child in the early 90s but I have vivid memories of watching Gulf War victory parades and the Soviet flag coming down over the Kremlin. Add in Taco Bell commercials and it's a wrap, folks.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Richard Hakluyt

Josquius

Its an art I never grasped in writing, quite what level of description is appropriate when.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Fonds Soziales Wien (a foundation by the city to provide advice and support for persons in need of help - homeless, handicapped, etc.) is sending out a bus to inform about dementia. So they advertise:

"Dementia Bus on Tour:
21th till 25th September - don't forget!"
 :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

So, do you guys like to stick pennies in you belly button and then sniff them?  No, me neither.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

A graph on the decline of Humanities and rise of STEM subjects in US colleges in the last 10 years:

PDH

Quote from: The Larch on September 06, 2022, 07:25:51 PMA graph on the decline of Humanities and rise of STEM subjects in US colleges in the last 10 years:

And people ask why I'm not teaching anymore...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Shouldn't area studies be a STEM?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

When did STEM become STEMM?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob