News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I feel bad for Tamas' wife if he considers what her father did to be "fondling".
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Why was her ass getting touched so much?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

That feels like it's a cultural thing. Athletes get their butts tap.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Yeah my first thought was Friday Night Lights.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on September 02, 2022, 08:33:17 AMI feel bad for Tamas' wife if he considers what her father did to be "fondling".

:rolleyes: really? 1/10.

So it was tapping and not fondling. I'll ask you what I was asking the Hungarian incels I was debating in a comments section: whether it is "grabbing" (like the Hungarian article wrote) or "tapping" (like the incels insisted), does it mean a qualitative difference to what was happening?

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 02, 2022, 08:42:07 AMThat feels like it's a cultural thing. Athletes get their butts tap.

Yeah a culture probably started and propagated by perv coaches. There are lots of traditions which are not nice.

crazy canuck

When Steve Nash was playing during his MVP years, someone kept a stat on how many times he physically made contact with his teammates to encourage them. It was some extraordinarily high number and a very large percentage of those touches we're on their ass. It is a very common thing in sports. The problem has become that human sexuality over the Internet has become so distorted, that this is the sort of thing that becomes a contraversy.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 02, 2022, 08:57:48 AMWhen Steve Nash was playing during his MVP years, someone kept a stat on how many times he physically made contact with his teammates to encourage them. It was some extraordinarily high number and a very large percentage of those touches we're on their ass. It is a very common thing in sports. The problem has become that human sexuality over the Internet has become so distorted, that this is the sort of thing that becomes a contraversy.

Why though? Maybe this whole ass-touch thing was started by closeted coaches/players and then it became normal.

Does it mean a male coach should be excused for touching the ass of his female pupils?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2022, 09:00:44 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 02, 2022, 08:57:48 AMWhen Steve Nash was playing during his MVP years, someone kept a stat on how many times he physically made contact with his teammates to encourage them. It was some extraordinarily high number and a very large percentage of those touches we're on their ass. It is a very common thing in sports. The problem has become that human sexuality over the Internet has become so distorted, that this is the sort of thing that becomes a contraversy.

Why though? Maybe this whole ass-touch thing was started by closeted coaches/players and then it became normal.

Does it mean a male coach should be excused for touching the ass of his female pupils?

Or maybe you were sexualizing something that isn't sexual

Maladict

It's a fairly common thing to do among team mates in certain sports, both male and female, but I've never seen a coach do it. Seems like something that should not happen anymore, especially given the abuse cases of recent years.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 02, 2022, 09:20:38 AMOr maybe you were sexualizing something that isn't sexual

Possibly. It reminds of me what I heard once about the Boy Scouts (maybe in Family Guy?): I am not saying the Boy Scouts are pedophiles, but if pedophiles ever created an organisation, it would look like the Boy Scouts.

Similarly, teaching kids its normal that their ass is being constantly patted is probably ok, but if some perv coach wanted to get some feels in, that's exactly what they'd try to teach.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maladict on September 02, 2022, 09:21:33 AMIt's a fairly common thing to do among team mates in certain sports, both male and female, but I've never seen a coach do it. Seems like something that should not happen anymore, especially given the abuse cases of recent years.

As a player, coaches often tapped us on our butts as we ran out on the court etc. As a coach, I often did it.  What has changed is this has become a sexualized act apparently.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 02, 2022, 10:03:30 AM
Quote from: Maladict on September 02, 2022, 09:21:33 AMIt's a fairly common thing to do among team mates in certain sports, both male and female, but I've never seen a coach do it. Seems like something that should not happen anymore, especially given the abuse cases of recent years.

As a player, coaches often tapped us on our butts as we ran out on the court etc. As a coach, I often did it.  What has changed is this has become a sexualized act apparently.

Why is it necessary?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2022, 09:49:15 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 02, 2022, 09:20:38 AMOr maybe you were sexualizing something that isn't sexual

Possibly. It reminds of me what I heard once about the Boy Scouts (maybe in Family Guy?): I am not saying the Boy Scouts are pedophiles, but if pedophiles ever created an organisation, it would look like the Boy Scouts.

Similarly, teaching kids its normal that their ass is being constantly patted is probably ok, but if some perv coach wanted to get some feels in, that's exactly what they'd try to teach.

Your reference to a cartoon lampooning adult behaviour is a really good example of what I'm talking about in regards to the warping of views related to sexuality. I don't deny that there are serious sexual abuse instances in both sports and elsewhere and especially involving coaches. My point is focus on those rather than sexualizing all behaviour.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 02, 2022, 10:05:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2022, 09:49:15 AM

Your reference to a cartoon lampooning adult behaviour is a really good example of what I'm talking about in regards to the warping of views related to sexuality. I don't deny that there are serious sexual abuse instances in both sports and elsewhere and especially involving coaches. My point is focus on those rather than sexualizing all behaviour.

I don't want to debate your views on this since you have far more insight into this culture than myself, but I can absolutely see sexualised behaviours being normalised in the community to the degree of losing that meaning (or rather, hiding that original meaning to the point of members of said community picking those up as non-sexual behaviours and repeating it). I mean, isn't that the process that normally happens under the term "grooming"?