News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

It is curious.
I guess it's what comes of having guys who know very little about ships (monarchs, nobles) being in charge of purchasing.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on September 06, 2022, 10:57:25 PMWhat's the extra M for?

Medicine, apparently. Used to be just Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.

celedhring

Quote from: Threviel on September 07, 2022, 05:53:46 AMNow I want to go to Barcelona, very cool museum.

That's by far the most impressive piece in it, but if you have an interest in navigation it's a cool little museum to visit - don't think it justifies coming to Barcelona just by itself, though. Most of the collection is XIXth century stuff (ship decorations and instruments) but there are some XVI-XVIIth navigational charts.

There used to be a seaworhty replica of the Santa María (Columbus' ship), but it was burnt down by Catalan separatists in the 1990s and the provincial government (which runs the museum) decided it was too expensive to repair and scrapped it.

Syt

Traffic of people leaving Burning Man festival.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2022, 04:06:32 AMI've read about Spanish ships of that era having large wooden crucifixes on their mizzen masts.  Either they left them out or my sources were incorrect.

Never heard such a thing in my life. Where did you get it from?

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on September 07, 2022, 05:59:36 AMConsidering how gaudy that galley looks by modern standards, I now I understand why some paintings of the Naval Battle of Actium look like this. :P

That galley was built with the express purpose of leading the fleet of the Holy League of 1571, and the mandate was that it had to be more impressive than anything else brought by the other allies - particularly the Venetians, who were the other major contributor to the alliance and feared that the Holy League would be the first step to strongarm them into the Habsburg Italian sphere of influence.

Syt

Well yeah, but 16th/17th century was pretty over the top with the bling in general. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Just look at Wasa about fifty years later:

celedhring

The Wasa  :wub: Easily the highlight of my Swedish vacation years ago.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 07, 2022, 06:20:16 AMby Catalan separatists in the 1990s and the provincial government (which runs the museum) decided it was too expensive to repair and scrapped it.

We do have a seaworthy replica of the Pinta in Baiona, a town close to Vigo, as that was the first place in Europe where they landed in 1493 (they got separated at the Azores by a storm, and Columbus at the Niña arrived at Lisbon a couple of days later).

How they managed to cross the Atlantic and get back on such a tiny ship is truly amazing.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on September 07, 2022, 06:31:53 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2022, 04:06:32 AMI've read about Spanish ships of that era having large wooden crucifixes on their mizzen masts.  Either they left them out or my sources were incorrect.

Never heard such a thing in my life. Where did you get it from?
The source I recall is Patrick Obrian, which is admittedly fiction but vigorously researched, and I thought I had read it elsewhere as well but can't recall where.

Admiral Yi

Who here can name Lincoln's first Vice President?

I'm rereading Grant, and it struck me when I got to the part where Lincoln named Andrew Johnson as his second VP that I didn't know the first, and I couldn't really recall any passage in any book on the Civil War that mentioned him.

I googled it and the name was a complete blank.

Interesting case of a person disappearing from history.

Habbaku

I could name him, and am surprised that you couldn't. The (spoilers) alliterative nature of his name makes it easier to remember.

I definitely don't remember many details about him, but the name is easy.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

I could too.  I remember his name because it's awesome, but like Habs I don't remember shit about him.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Hamlin's real claim to fame, IMO, was that he served simultaneously as the Veep and the company cook for his infantry company in the 1864 campaign.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!