News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Get the Marine Stewardship Council app on how sustainable fish are or aren't :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on April 04, 2022, 07:57:32 AMCanaries?  :huh:

Canary Islands.

Apparently, english doesn't pluralize the same words than French & Spanish.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 04, 2022, 08:41:18 AM

Canary Islands.

I was wondering if that was what you meant, which was a bit puzzling for me. Where did you get that from? Spain is amongst the top European fish consumers per capita by a fair bit, so it'd be a bit strange if the Canary Islands didn't.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on April 04, 2022, 08:48:57 AM

Canary Islands.

I was wondering if that was what you meant, which was a bit puzzling for me. Where did you get that from? Spain is amongst the top European fish consumers per capita by a fair bit, so it'd be a bit strange if the Canary Islands didn't.

TV5 show that visited them couple years back. I don't remember the why but the crew and us spectators were very surprised to find that out.

Now thinking about it, maybe it was the Azores and not the Canary islands. :hmm:

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 04, 2022, 09:04:38 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 04, 2022, 08:48:57 AM

Canary Islands.

TV5 show that visited them couple years back. I don't remember the why but the crew and us spectators were very surprised to find that out.

Now thinking about it, maybe it was the Azores and not the Canary islands. :hmm:

Could have been the Azores, I was actually there a few weeks ago for work and was surprised at the relative lack of fish on offer locally. I was then told more or less how things worked there (local fishermen are mostly small scale, and very weather dependant, so during winter they don't operate that much, and what they catch is mostly destined for the mainland rather than consumed locally) and it made more sense.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on April 04, 2022, 06:50:55 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 04, 2022, 06:47:49 AMI was recently in Portugal for a work trip (delated since March 2020) and I swear I had a Nata every single day.  :lol:

So did we when we were in Lisbon. :D

Did you get the real ones from Belém?  :P

Grey Fox

Sheilbh

I'm really surprised by this - is it a bit of a UK outlier. 9 in 10 Brits listen to the radio every week, and have done since the 90s:

It certainly adds a bit of context around why podcasts are booming.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It makes sense when you consider how many people drive, how common clock radios are, those who have the radio on at work, etc....

I think the numbers would be a fair bit lower for old school listeners who actively sit down at home and put the radio on.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

In an Uber listening to Magic :lol:

I wonder if the old school listeners are back because of people WFH though. It's always turn on the radio while you do the washing or cleaning or pottering about the house and now we do that a little more with WFH?
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I don't think I've ever listened to the radio in the UK. :hmm:

Well ever picked to do that vs been exposed in a shop or in a taxi.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 05, 2022, 10:32:40 AMIn an Uber listening to Magic :lol:

I wonder if the old school listeners are back because of people WFH though. It's always turn on the radio while you do the washing or cleaning or pottering about the house and now we do that a little more with WFH?

Don't many people prefer Spotify and other services tailored to themselves?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

The Irish president is visiting Austria. Unfortunately without his adorable dog, but I hope he met Pres. van der Bellen's Juli (you can sometimes taking her for a walk around Hofburg).

https://twitter.com/vanderbellen/status/1511643315770466304?s=20&t=LQjv9J_RPt3YR5LG9-Z7pQ

Also, the Irish presidency may have one of the best verified Twitter handles: @PresidentIRL :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Today in "Questionable Vanity Plates":

:hmm:  :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

The plate should be blurred in these pictures. :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.