News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

It isn't over until its over.

I just came across this analysis of what would have happened if Steiner's attack went forward. Really eye opening how close Hitler was to winning the war in 1945.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNvtkckIBFE
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 29, 2022, 12:58:18 PMAs a fan of Zorro, I am outraged by the theft of Z by Dragon ball.

Cultural appropriation?  :hmm:

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 29, 2022, 04:04:57 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 29, 2022, 12:58:18 PMAs a fan of Zorro, I am outraged by the theft of Z by Dragon ball.

It actually is - since Russian doesn't have the letter "Z". :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2022, 04:21:35 PM

It came from the Greeks (dzeta) so it goes for the Japanese and Spaniards as well.  :P

Sheilbh

Oh no:
QuoteJackie Weaver 'did not have the authority' to eject councillors from meeting, reports find

During the Handforth Parish Council meeting in December 2020, Ms Weaver was told: "You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver. No authority at all."

On the other hands six reports into the parish council by the wider council, running to about 150 pages seems excessive :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2022, 03:38:45 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2022, 12:01:22 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 29, 2022, 08:43:26 AMMerriam-Webster has come down on the word decimate:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-original-definition-of-decimate

:o Again?  They did this with the same article some time ago (and it was discussed here, as I recall).  Languish search doesn't show it, so maybe it wasn't here, but I know I read this article before.

I posted it on the 4th of March and then you followed up about decibels.

:thumbsup:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2022, 04:21:35 PM

Ukrainian humour I've read:

Q: Why do Russians have a "Z" on their vehicles, when "Z" isn't even in the Russian alphabet?

A: It isn't a "Z". Contractors just stole the other half of their Swastikas.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Random thought for the day.

I have read many references about the delicacy of buffalo tongue. Buffalo are raised commercially now.  Why does no one serve buffalo tongue?  Why is it not for sale in supermarkets or specialty stores?

HVC

Is it that different from cow tongue?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

I guess they all get shipped off to Japan or wherever that people are willing to pay huge money for them rather than just supermarket prices?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

It strikes me as being a butcher's specialty item rather than a supermarket one. Maybe it's only found in specialized channels?

The Brain

Yi included restaurants and specialty stores in his question, dammit! :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Here they sell cow tongue at the Asian markets, but again I don't know how different it is from buffalo
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

The Brain

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but in the wonderful world of law a Swedish supreme court judge was caught shoplifting groceries in December. When confronted by staff she said "you don't know who you're dealing with, I'm a supreme court judge". Lawyers are weird. She is no longer on the supreme court.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

How badly do you pay judges over there?