News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2022, 01:45:33 PMDid you ever use directory assistance/directory enquiries back in the day? I was just reading an old essay by Fran Lebowitz and cracking up about how she described the necessary things to say if working as a directory assistance operator. My British husband, who is a year older than me, said he never heard of such a service.

Yup, I used them a reasonable number of times.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on March 28, 2022, 01:54:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2022, 01:45:33 PMDid you ever use directory assistance/directory enquiries back in the day? I was just reading an old essay by Fran Lebowitz and cracking up about how she described the necessary things to say if working as a directory assistance operator. My British husband, who is a year older than me, said he never heard of such a service.

I used one (411) twice in my teens (~20 years ago). After that, I've relied on Google or GPS for everything, as I suspect many have. I wouldn't be surprised if most people our age hadn't used it, ever, or if many had never heard of it (though 411 had tons of advertising).

I'd been planning to commiserate with him that kids today wouldn't get the reference.

I'm not sure why but I used 411 more than a few times before I got a mobile phone in college.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2022, 12:00:03 PMIs there any known history between the two?  Both being black men working in mostly white Hollywood for decades, and being roughly the same ages, they must surely have interacted a bunch of times...

Google to the rescue:  https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/28/entertainment/chris-rock-will-smith-history/index.html

Chris Rock guest starred on Fresh Prince back in the day.

Chris Rock and Jada Pinkett Smith worked together in the Madagascar film series and there were rumors about them hooking up at the time (her and Will Smith have or used to have an open marriage, something that Will Smith has said he wouldn't recommend, or something to that effect).

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2022, 11:21:14 AMOr is it "out of touch mage-millionaire

Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2022, 02:11:26 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 28, 2022, 01:54:26 PM

I used one (411) twice in my teens (~20 years ago). After that, I've relied on Google or GPS for everything, as I suspect many have. I wouldn't be surprised if most people our age hadn't used it, ever, or if many had never heard of it (though 411 had tons of advertising).

I'd been planning to commiserate with him that kids today wouldn't get the reference.

I'm not sure why but I used 411 more than a few times before I got a mobile phone in college.

Yeah, used it a lot back in the day.  Getting the 411 used to be a common slang saying.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2022, 03:08:43 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on March 28, 2022, 02:50:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2022, 11:21:14 AMOr is it "out of touch mage-millionaire

MEGA-millionaire

Just imagine a mage-millionaire bitch slapping a fellow mage-millionaire at the Gandalfs tho
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2022, 03:08:43 PMMEGA-millionaire

I know, but I liked the funny typo.

Also, some of the metaphors about those people are steeped into magic/myth. "Techno-wizard", "Wizard of Omaha"... 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 28, 2022, 03:41:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2022, 03:08:43 PMMEGA-millionaire

I know, but I liked the funny typo.

Also, some of the metaphors about those people are steeped into magic/myth. "Techno-wizard", "Wizard of Omaha"... 

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I learned early on that 411 is not cheap and stopped using it for the most part.

Admiral Yi

HVC

Take his Oscar, ban him from future nominations and be done with it
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2022, 08:56:08 PMTake his Oscar, ban him from future nominations and be done with it

Didn't he receive the Oscar after the slap?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on March 29, 2022, 02:50:32 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2022, 08:56:08 PMTake his Oscar, ban him from future nominations and be done with it

Think about the anxiety happening during the event deciding what to do on that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2022, 04:02:47 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 29, 2022, 02:50:32 AM

Think about the anxiety happening during the event deciding what to do on that.

Delicious.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.