Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2022, 12:23:31 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 05, 2022, 12:19:52 PMHoly crap is this real? https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1500038514037202947

I saw that too but didn't link it because the steady camera made it look too staged.

Or a very good phone with image stabilizer?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

The camera seems to be manually rotating from a mount on a building, but that doesn't seem suspicious to me.  That's exactly how the camera on the nuclear power plant worked.

Threviel

Read a review of Arkady Babchenkos book "One soldiers war". He served as a conscript in the Russian army in the first chechen war and the book is on his experiences.

Jeebus H fucking Christ it's so bleak. New recruits are beaten mercilessly, rape is ever present and torture is the way leadership is run. The colonel beats the major that beats... on down to the lowest conscript. They are often raped and nowadays the rapes are recorded and used as blackmail to force prostitution.

But it's ok, in 2015 the duma made it illegal to talk about it...

And this is the army that invades Ukraine, this shit is going to be the most brutal war since the civil war. Or perhaps since the invasion of Germany in 45.  :cry: ffs they can't even get their own army to stop raping itself.

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2022, 12:28:04 PMThe camera seems to be manually rotating from a mount on a building, but that doesn't seem suspicious to me.  That's exactly how the camera on the nuclear power plant worked.

It looks like the camera on a drone.

Tamas

Well having rewatched in full screen if its fake they put a hell of a lot of effort into CGI-ing in the debris and smoke and making a fire.

Tamas

Too funny to be true but apparently some Russian soldiers wanted to take up a position on top of an office building by using the elevator, which was promptly powered down with them in it:

Then again if true whoever did it hopefully had their next trip to HR to make sure their name is deleted from the records before never returning.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on March 05, 2022, 12:40:13 PMWell having rewatched in full screen if its fake they put a hell of a lot of effort into CGI-ing in the debris and smoke and making a fire.

Users on Twitter have also been able to pinpoint the location which is to the North of Kyiv.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2022, 12:31:02 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2022, 12:28:04 PMThe camera seems to be manually rotating from a mount on a building, but that doesn't seem suspicious to me.  That's exactly how the camera on the nuclear power plant worked.

It looks like the camera on a drone.
Yes, you're right, people are saying that it's a footage from a stabilized drone camera.  The theory is that the civilian drone operator and the MANPAD operator are working in tandem.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2022, 12:57:33 PMYes, you're right, people are saying that it's a footage from a stabilized drone camera.  The theory is that the civilian drone operator and the MANPAD operator are working in tandem.

That seems really ballsy. It is quite ballsy to be shooting down Russian helicopters by itself, but coordinating with a drone operator just adds a level of difficulty.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on March 05, 2022, 01:13:13 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2022, 12:57:33 PMYes, you're right, people are saying that it's a footage from a stabilized drone camera.  The theory is that the civilian drone operator and the MANPAD operator are working in tandem.

That seems really ballsy. It is quite ballsy to be shooting down Russian helicopters by itself, but coordinating with a drone operator just adds a level of difficulty.

The drone guy might serve as a spotter? No idea, don't know how MANPADs acquire targets, tbh :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2022, 12:00:40 PMhttps://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1500147285136658436?s=20&t=Mdzvd0uOuW17T_tL3rwAwA
That makes sense. Israel's probably one of the few countries that genuinely has good relations with Russia and Ukraine - maybe Turkey too?

QuoteHoly crap is this real? https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1500038514037202947
His is one of the more trustworthy accounts I think.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

:lol: In fairness, they would know:
QuotePhil Stewart
@phildstewart
(Reuters) - Russia's foreign ministry called on European Union and NATO countries to "stop pumping weapons" to Ukraine -RIA

It said Moscow was particularly worried that portable anti-aerial Stinger missiles could end up in the hands of terrorists, posing a threat to airlines.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

The continued push for a no-fly zone by Ukraine is very smart.

I am sure at the very least their leadership understand it would mean starting WW3, and what exactly they have to lose with that?

And they may rightly think the Western public may start pushing their politicians for it, since it sounds straightforward and safe: just tell Russians they can't fly, and it's done.

So, I think, it's a smart PR way of pushing for military intervention by Europe.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

I'm really doubting Russia's 2nd strike capabilities at this moment. The ineptitude leaves no one untouched.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.