News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 05, 2022, 09:37:21 AMOK if it's crude oil, but I don't think it's wise to turn away refined products, especially diesel.

Why?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2022, 09:48:24 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 05, 2022, 09:37:21 AMOK if it's crude oil, but I don't think it's wise to turn away refined products, especially diesel.

Why?

The UK gets quite a lot of it's diesel from Russia; so the government has to keep an eye on how happy it's core daily mail reading drivers are.

Personally I'd be quiet happy to see, gas rationing, heating gas restrictions and power cuts if it becomes necessary to isolate Putin's Russia, not sure the majority of my countrymen are ready to go that far.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on March 05, 2022, 09:47:48 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 05, 2022, 09:42:08 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 05, 2022, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2022, 09:12:41 AMAbsolutely love this - Russian ships aren't allowed to dock in UK ports/refineries, but that doesn't stop ships with Russian goods docking.

But the trade unions have instructed their members to refuse to unload Russian goods/petrochemicals :wub: So there's a ship bouncing from refinery to refinery trying to find one that will accept their oil.

It's another bit of really weird/throwback politics - I know this was a thing in the 70s and 80s around South African or Chilean goods but glad to see it's back.

OK if it's crude oil, but I don't think it's wise to turn away refined products, especially diesel.

If Russia is generating income from it, it must be rejected.

But it'll get the Daily Mail reading drivers up in arms when they have to queue for diesel.

Which newspaper readers do you classify yourself with?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

From a reporter in Kyiv: they're playing the Bayraktar song on Ukrainian jazz FM :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

My government, with a Left-Green PM chartered a local air freight company to run guns and ammo to the Ukrainians via Poland. Life comes at you fast. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

I saw a video of French tanks* being airlifted to Rumania in planes marked "Antonov Cargo" which i found a little strange.

*The six wheeled things, which IIRC was the revolutionary French change in tank design.  It's got a tank sized gun and a tank turret so I'm pretty sure it's not an armored car.

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2022, 07:45:36 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 04, 2022, 07:31:10 PMReports of notable casualties amongst the Russian invasion forces including a deputy army commander:

QuoteRussian commanders die as army falters
Larisa Brown
Saturday March 05 2022, 12.01am, The Times

Three Russian army commanders have been killed after moving towards the front line in an apparent attempt to restore momentum among junior ranks, western officials believe.

The death of Major General Andrei Sukhovetsky, a Spetsnaz or special forces commander and deputy commander of the 41st Combined Arms Army, was disclosed on Thursday. He is thought to be the highest-ranking member of the force to be killed.

Western officials believe that a divisional commander and a regimental commander have also been killed. An official said: "My assessment would be that those commanders have been killed because they've had to go further and closer to the front, rather than them being in the rear of operations."

The official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that he

According to this thread being a Russian general is a very dangerous enterprise.  :ph34r:

I hope through all of this we are working to give Putin some kind of face saving way out. We don't want to back him into a corner, especially if the war turns against Russia.

I hope we'd rather work to give some other Russian high-ups a face saving way out, if they deal with Putin. I don't think Ukraine is interested in saving Putin's face at this point. If he is able to get out of this intact then he'll just do a repeat a few years down the line.

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2022, 07:14:39 AMIs it just me or is there an absolute shit tonne of Indian fake news about this war dominating the search results?
I noticed it as well on my LinkedIn feed, it seems like most of the propaganda spread in the comments there is from Indian (or maybe "Indian") profiles.

Syt

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1500147285136658436?s=20&t=Mdzvd0uOuW17T_tL3rwAwA

QuoteBarak Ravid
@BarakRavid

BREAKING: Israeli Prime Minister Bennett travelled secretly to Moscow. Meeting Putin now
5:32 PM · Mar 5, 2022·Twitter Web App
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

According to the BBC, 4,000 people marched in Belgrade... in support of Russia's invasion.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60630351

Syt

QuotePutin warns countries against imposing no-fly zone

Vladimir Putin has said that Moscow will consider any country that sought to impose a no-fly zone over Ukraine as having entered the conflict.

"Any movement in this direction will be considered by us as participation in an armed conflict by that country," the Russian president said during a meeting with Aeroflot employees reported by Reuters.

Imposing a no-fly zone would have "colossal and catastrophic consequences not only for Europe but also the whole world", Putin said.

Putin also dismissed rumours that Moscow plans to declare martial law. "Martial law should only be introduced in cases where there is external aggression ... we are not experiencing that at the moment and I hope we won't," he said.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Makes sense. "Imposing a no-fly zone" = shooting at Russian military units. That would count as "entering the war", I'd think.

Threviel

Tonight I made chicken Kiev. It was very nice.  :(

Tamas

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on March 05, 2022, 12:19:52 PMHoly crap is this real? https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1500038514037202947

I saw that too but didn't link it because the steady camera made it look too staged.