News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2013, 09:42:15 AM
I don't get any of that from the man, personally.

It could also be the contrast with his predecessor.  That was a man that could not be accused of talking down to anyone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2013, 09:54:35 AM
Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2013, 09:44:23 AM
my IQ is in the top 2%.

"Of the household" doesn't really count.   :hug:

Unfortunately, in my house I'm probably in the bottom 20%. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 15, 2013, 09:56:09 AM

IRS: Hey, We Targeted Lefty Groups, Too

(Newser) – The IRS is defending itself against the Inspector General's report on its targeting of Tea Party groups, saying they made up only a "minority" of the 471 political nonprofit groups scrutinized. And, hey, three—three!—of those 471 were Democrat-leaning groups, including one, Emerge America, that was actually denied tax-exempt status, Bloomberg reports. "[It is] important to understand that the group of centralized cases included organizations of all political views," the IRS said in a statement. It also said that although "Inappropriate shortcuts" were used to identify some of the groups, most of them would have still been singled out for extra scrutiny had the agency gone about it correctly, reports ABC.

The other two more liberal groups on the list that received the extra examination seem largely positive about the experience. "I'm not saying it was fun but it was important," said a spokesperson from Progress Texas. But in a letter to the IRS, Republican lawmakers Darrell Issa and Jim Jordan claim the extra scrutiny put the Tea Party groups and others "in a state of purgatory where they often languished without action for periods as long as two years," Fox News reports. "The actions of the IRS are unconscionable and appalling," they wrote.

Interesting how in all this people think the IRS is some sort of docile and submissive government asian chick and not the actual enforcement agency that it is, one that "scrutinizes" as part of its investigative mission.

And naturally, of course liberal groups would "seem largely positive about the experience" compared to secessionist anti-government groups that want to eliminate the very Federal government they need to deal with sometimes.  Duh.

frunk

Weren't there significantly more Tea Party groups that were applying for 501c4 status than Democrat-leaning groups?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on May 15, 2013, 10:14:14 AM
Weren't there significantly more Tea Party groups that were applying for 501c4 status than Democrat-leaning groups?

Yeah, but don't let that stop anybody.

derspiess

So nothing for the IRS to apologize for?  Nothing for the President to be outraged over?  :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2013, 10:19:23 AM
So nothing for the IRS to apologize for?  Nothing for the President to be outraged over?  :lol:

Regardless of what's determined by the investigation (and I do believe it should be investigated), the IRS is going to apologize, and the president is going to be upset. (Though, to be fair, I think the president said that IF the IRS acted inappropriately, he would be outraged.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2013, 10:19:23 AM

Not really, no.  I think he's overreacting myself.

sbr

Conservatives like their leaders dumber than themselves.  No wonder they have a hard time finding suitable candidates.

The Minsky Moment

QuoteRepublican lawmakers Darrell Issa and Jim Jordan claim the extra scrutiny put the Tea Party groups and others "in a state of purgatory where they often languished without action for periods as long as two years," Fox News reports

Wait- now there complaining about the IRS not doing something?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 11:29:49 AM
QuoteRepublican lawmakers Darrell Issa and Jim Jordan claim the extra scrutiny put the Tea Party groups and others "in a state of purgatory where they often languished without action for periods as long as two years," Fox News reports

Wait- now there complaining about the IRS not doing something?

Yes. Not processing their application.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on May 15, 2013, 11:53:17 AM
Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2013, 09:44:23 AM
my IQ is in the top 2%.

:(

*shrugs*

I've tested that high since I was in high school. It doesn't mean anything. I still can't do basic Calc. :P

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2013, 11:37:30 AM

As long as they timely filed their application, my understanding is that they can claim the exemption in the interim.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 12:39:29 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2013, 11:37:30 AM

As long as they timely filed their application, my understanding is that they can claim the exemption in the interim.

I didn't say it was a valid complaint, just that that was their complaint. ;)