And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on February 23, 2016, 11:02:50 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 23, 2016, 10:56:13 AM
I heard some talking head on the radio yesterday who said some donors are giving money to guys like Kasich because they believe from a game theory perspective it's actually better to keep the field at 4-5, as that makes a brokered convention more likely, they feel in a brokered convention Trump can just be straight up refused the nomination, whereas if he wins it outright there is no mechanism to stop him.

That is stupid. That isn't how delegates get awarded. Trump is more likely to win outright in a field of 4-5 than in a field of 2-3. In fact, it should be quite obvious that unless something major changes (ie, he says something stupid that people care about), if the field stays as it is he is going to win the nomination outright without much trouble.

They all think they can beat Trump 1 on 1 if they just outlast the other guys. Trouble is that by the time that happens Trump will have nomination in the bag.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2016, 06:47:49 AM
Jewish woman I work with is positively baffled as to why African-Americans are not supporting Bernie Sanders the way they're supporting Hillary Clinton.

Told her it's probably because of 1) Bill Clinton, and 2) Bernie Sanders reminds them of every landlord they ever had.

It's not exactly a secret there is a lot of antisemitism in the black community.  We on the left look the other way, but it's there.  Just like the left looks the other way on the issue of homophobia in the black community.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2016, 03:16:07 PM
Just like the left looks the other way on the issue of homophobia in the black community.

Who on the left is looking the other way? I think a fairer statement would be that most people don't care about that issue. So completely indifference and ignorance - not actively looking away from the issue.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2016, 03:20:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2016, 03:16:07 PM
Just like the left looks the other way on the issue of homophobia in the black community.

Who on the left is looking the other way? I think a fairer statement would be that most people don't care about that issue. So completely indifference and ignorance - not actively looking away from the issue.

Pretty much everyone who is so quick to point out homophobia on the right, but fails to do so in the black community, or worse get's indignant when someone does point out the problem that a lot of blacks are unsympathetic to gays.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Let's just make sure Marty doesn't hear of it. God knows what dark path that might take him down.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2016, 03:34:52 PM
Let's just make sure Marty doesn't hear of it. God knows what dark path that might take him down.

It's too late. I have recently started following Milo Yiannopoulous on Twitter.

garbon

I believe when gay marriage disappeared in California by proposition, there was a big stink about how more blacks turning out to vote for Obama also led to those increased voters being at the polls with their religion/homophobia to shoot down gay marriage.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2016, 03:41:55 PM
I believe when gay marriage disappeared in California by proposition, there was a big stink about how more blacks turning out to vote for Obama also led to those increased voters being at the polls with their religion/homophobia to shoot down gay marriage.

True. Blacks being homophobic and antisemitic is old news.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2016, 03:41:25 PM

Damn it.

At least Milo is entertaining.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2016, 03:46:12 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2016, 03:41:25 PM

Damn it.

At least Milo is entertaining.

I thought I'm entertaining too.  :Embarrass:

Razgovory

I was entertained when you called me a liar for saying that Bill Maher was an anti-vaxxer and then I posted an interview where he says he doesn't believe in Western medicine.  Remember that?  That was pretty funny.-

OttoVonBismarck

There's growing heat from party powers that be for Kasich to GTFO. However, Kasich gave a little speech at the start of a town hall that he's on a mission and a crusade, and maybe it's not to win the presidency. That makes me think John may be going off the deep end and is becoming unpredictable.

There's still a branch of Republican power brokers who prefer him to Rubio though, aforementioned Stanley Druckenmiller, former Governors Tom Ridge and Bill Weld endorsed him yesterday, and the wealthy Home Depot founder Ken Langone endorsed him Monday as well--he was one of the big money guys backing Christie until he dropped out. Getting additional endorsements after South Carolina, and money backers, may be all the internal justification Kasich needs to stay in.

Berkut

He does have some real advantages over Rubio, like not being a robot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

There also may be a bit of Romney 2008 going on here, Romney became the "anointed one" for 2012 in part because he won Nevada (big Mormon population) and 10 other States, and was #2 behind McCain. Kasich may feel like one way he has to distinguish himself (since at least part of his problem was he had zero name recognition, at the start of the campaign season something like 1% of the voters had heard of him outside of Ohio) is to stay in for awhile and maybe grab a few states. Ohio for example. Kasich may feel if he has no shot at the Presidency his only shot in 4 years is to make a big enough mark this year that he starts from a level of some notoriety come 2020.