News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 23, 2016, 06:27:59 PM
There also may be a bit of Romney 2008 going on here, Romney became the "anointed one" for 2012 in part because he won Nevada (big Mormon population) and 10 other States, and was #2 behind McCain. Kasich may feel like one way he has to distinguish himself (since at least part of his problem was he had zero name recognition, at the start of the campaign season something like 1% of the voters had heard of him outside of Ohio) is to stay in for awhile and maybe grab a few states. Ohio for example. Kasich may feel if he has no shot at the Presidency his only shot in 4 years is to make a big enough mark this year that he starts from a level of some notoriety come 2020.

Is Kasich young enough to be looking 4 or 8 years down the road?

Habbaku

In 4 years, Kasich will still be younger than Hillary is now.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

There also may be a bit of Romney 2008 going on here, Romney became the "anointed one" for 2012 in part because he won Nevada (big Mormon population) and 10 other States, and was #2 behind McCain. Kasich may feel like one way he has to distinguish himself (since at least part of his problem was he had zero name recognition, at the start of the campaign season something like 1% of the voters had heard of him outside of Ohio) is to stay in for awhile and maybe grab a few states. Ohio for example. Kasich may feel if he has no shot at the Presidency his only shot in 4 years is to make a big enough mark this year that he starts from a level of some notoriety come 2020.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2016, 06:39:34 PM

That's not from the "After the End" mod, is it? :unsure:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 23, 2016, 06:49:54 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2016, 06:39:34 PM

That's not from the "After the End" mod, is it? :unsure:

Not sure.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 23, 2016, 06:03:23 PM
There's growing heat from party powers that be for Kasich to GTFO. However, Kasich gave a little speech at the start of a town hall that he's on a mission and a crusade, and maybe it's not to win the presidency. That makes me think John may be going off the deep end and is becoming unpredictable.

So he's doing the whole Jim Fassel "chips in the middle of table" New York Giants playoffs promise in 2000.  OK.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 23, 2016, 06:03:23 PM
There's growing heat from party powers that be for Kasich to GTFO. However, Kasich gave a little speech at the start of a town hall that he's on a mission and a crusade, and maybe it's not to win the presidency. That makes me think John may be going off the deep end and is becoming unpredictable.

There's still a branch of Republican power brokers who prefer him to Rubio though, aforementioned Stanley Druckenmiller, former Governors Tom Ridge and Bill Weld endorsed him yesterday, and the wealthy Home Depot founder Ken Langone endorsed him Monday as well--he was one of the big money guys backing Christie until he dropped out. Getting additional endorsements after South Carolina, and money backers, may be all the internal justification Kasich needs to stay in.

I don't really understand why Rubio is preferable to Kasich to just about anyone, but the way things stand he is going to need to give way to Rubio really soon or piss a lot of people off and get embarrassed.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

I imagine this is the moment in the election cycle where the GOP establishment is riding around on horseback in front of its last brigade shouting "BAYONETS!" in a last-ditch, desperate action as General Trump's invincible Army of Northern Virginia is advancing on all sides.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 23, 2016, 07:35:41 PM
I imagine this is the moment in the election cycle where the GOP establishment is riding around on horseback in front of its last brigade shouting "BAYONETS!" in a last-ditch, desperate action as General Trump's invincible Army of Northern Virginia is advancing on all sides.

Actually, considering how they insist on doing the same failures over and over again but still expect a different result, I liken it more to the complete detachment from reality in the Führerbunker, or the Cincinnati Bengals. 

11B4V

Hillary has it in the bag. She could probably do or say some stupid shit and it not really have an impact. Fox News will be a must watch on election night.

Siege will be saying Madam President.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

Quote from: 11B4V on February 23, 2016, 08:02:12 PM
Hillary has it in the bag. She could probably do or say some stupid shit and it not really have an impact. Fox News will be a must watch on election night.

Siege will be saying Madam President.  :lol:

Unless a major swing comes about in the e-mail scandal, I'm beginning to think you're right.  The GOP voting base has lost its mind.  Hillary will be bruised a bit in the nomination process against Sanders, but she's going to coast to victory in the general.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien