News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Legbiter on February 22, 2016, 03:08:21 PM
It's not that bad. After all Trump has just rendered valuable service to the Republic by shredding Jeb's candidacy.  :hmm:

Even Jeb! would be better than Trump. :thumbsdown:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

This time a year ago, the top 6 in polls for GOP nomination were:

Bush
Huckabee
Paul
Carson
Walker
Christie

:hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2016, 03:13:50 PM
But...if it happened in 1978, it should still be okay to talk about in 2016, right?

Sure. But 1978 was a different time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2016, 05:09:49 PM
How did Kaisich defund Planned Parenthood?

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/21/politics/john-kasich-planned-parenthood-bill/

QuoteOhio Gov. John Kasich signed a bill Sunday prohibiting the state from contracting for health services with any organization that performs or promotes abortions, blocking government funds to Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood isn't explicitly named in the legislation, but the law will prevent more than $1 million in funding from the state health department from going to the nonprofit to fund programs such as HIV testing, health screenings and prevention of violence against women.

Kasich, who's tried to project a more moderate image as a Republican presidential candidate on some issues, had been expected to sign the measure. A spokesman for the governor said earlier this month that he intended to sign the bill when it reached his desk. He did so Sunday, a day after finishing a distant fifth in South Carolina's primary.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2016, 05:09:49 PM
How did Kaisich defund Planned Parenthood?

Because Planned Parenthood receives a mixture of Federal, State and private funding. He's Governor of Ohio, and signed a bill cutting state funding. It seems they got about $1m in grant money from Ohio's Department of Health, the bill basically classifies PP as an "ineligible service provider", but the money will go to non-PP organizations that do much the same thing. So the amount isn't large relative to the size of Ohio and at least the money is still going to community health organizations that provide services for expectant mothers.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 21, 2016, 02:29:11 PM
So in some people's book I am a right-leaning centrist,

You certainly aren't the flaming fucking asshole you were during the 2004 election.

Fatherhood and the malignant lethargy of federal employment has mellowed you out.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2016, 07:03:47 PM

You certainly aren't the flaming fucking asshole you were during the 2004 election.

Fatherhood and the malignant lethargy of federal employment has mellowed you out.
Fed's FTW.  :blurgh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on February 22, 2016, 07:49:29 PM
Fed's FTW.  :blurgh:

Oh I'm sorry, that post is not 508 Compliant.  Now go take your Information Security Awareness training module.  Again.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2016, 07:03:47 PM

Eh, I was up against a literal horde of Eurotrash back in those days, I think my bellicosity was understandable. Most of my vehemence back then related to my position that whatever the wisdom of invading Iraq, I didn't like the John Kerry strategy of saying "oh well, we fucked this country up real good, let's get the fuck out." FWIW even Obama didn't fully believe that--he tried to negotiate a bilateral security agreement with Maliki's government that would've left the "super-embassy" with 5,000 "embassy staff" in place, you know, to be in theater in case shit like, oh, ISIS suddenly developed and it turned out the billions of dollars we gave to the Iraqi Army and all the man hours spent training them was 100% wasted. Maliki of course rejected because he was Iran's puppet, but I still think back in '04 to just "bring everyone home" and fuck the consequences was bad policy, and that's why I wasn't too cool with Lurch. I did find the  Swiftboat shit pretty fucking vile, and indicative of the kind of world we live in. Where a guy who actually went to Vietnam, got wounded etc, is called a faker who "moaned about minor injuries to get Purple Hearts" by the backers of a guy who couldn't even be bothered to show up for mandatory training in the national guard unit his daddy got him in so he'd never be in harm's way while Kerry was serving in the frankly brutal brown water navy in Vietnam.

Razgovory

Kerry's position was not "bring everyone home" in 2004.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

I think it is a good question as to whether Kasich will make it to Super Tuesday. He doesn't really have any path to the nomination, but he sucks up anti Trump oxygen which is going to generate pressure for him to get out. He has some theory that he will do well in the midwest, but there is a Michigan poll that has him at 17% and Trump at 35%. Okay, that is second place, but focusing on the midwest won't get you the nomination, and focusing on the midwest and being 18% behind the leader doesn't change that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

He'd be rather dumb to drop out before the Ohio primary. I assume he'll decide after that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 22, 2016, 10:53:37 PM
He'd be rather dumb to drop out before the Ohio primary. I assume he'll decide after that.

The Ohio primary is March 15. More than a quarter of the delegates are awarded before then, and it looks like he may basically get 0 of them. What good will winning Ohio do for him at that point?

On the other hand, he is going to get a lot of pressure to get out of the race from everyone that doesn't want to see Trump or Cruz win. A lot of animosity will be generated by staying in that long.

I'll make a friendly non monetary wager with you: he is gone before Ohio.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014