News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Ovb, if the race became a two man race tomorrow with any of the remaining candidates save carson, trump would probably get hardly any more delagates and lose almost all the states. I realize there are now 5 left and that wont happen tomorrow, but the point is there is a possibility to stop him until he gets very close to the nomination.

As it is, trump just got 32% while cruz and rubio got 22% and bush and kasich 8%. (Im on my phone and cant look up precise numbers and my memory may be off). Bush is gone and most of his votes probably go to rubio. We probably just saw peak kasich (outside of the midwest at least).

And this was not in a state famous for racial progressivism.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 21, 2016, 02:32:11 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 21, 2016, 01:06:46 AMI have no problem with them looking at someones phone with a warrant, but I do have a problem with the state thinking it has the power to compel a third party to help them do so.

Why would they need a warrant when the phone's owner has turned the phone over to them, has given them permission to try and unlock it, and in fact wants them to succeed?

They wouldn't, obviously.

So the owner of the phone wants them to look at it - good for them. Go for it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Another update on the phone story:

It appears that normally when they FBI gets someone's iPhone in hand, data can be retrieved by Apple via an iCloud backup process. Apple has - as has been discussed several times - helped the FBI doing that a number of times.

However this time someone reset the phone's iCloud password after the police obtained the phone. This apparently means that the iCloud backup process no longer provides any useful results.

It turns out that it was San Bernadino County - acting at the FBI's request - who reset the iCloud password.

I don't know if that changes anyone's assessment of the situation, but it certainly makes CdM's "Famous But Incompetent" sound pretty accurate.

More here: http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-confirms-shooters-icloud-password-reset-2016-2

jimmy olsen

Can someone please split this FBI phone conversation into a separate thread?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 22, 2016, 03:03:58 AM

That would require us to build a backdoor into the encryption of languish, and we're not ready to do that at this time.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2016, 03:22:47 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 22, 2016, 03:03:58 AM

That would require us to build a backdoor into the encryption of languish, and we're not ready to do that at this time.

We could do this, but who is to say that after this is done once, posters will not start demanding that being done all the time - resulting in madness, and grumbler being confused about thread titles.

CountDeMoney

Just saw some of the new Clinton commercials narrated by Morgan Freeman.  Shit just got Shawkshanked.  Bernie is done.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2016, 06:48:50 AM
Just saw some of the new Clinton commercials narrated by Morgan Freeman.  Shit just got Shawkshanked.  Bernie is done.

Bernie must respond with Samuel L. Jackson.

celedhring

James Earl Jones, preferably in his Vader voice.

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on February 22, 2016, 06:57:26 AM
James Earl Jones, preferably in his Vader voice.

Definitely more of a republican vibe.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

garbon

http://www.vox.com/2016/2/22/11094288/john-kasich-kitchen-women-abortion

QuoteJohn Kasich: women "left their kitchens" to support me

Ohio governor and GOP presidential hopeful John Kasich caused a stir Monday when he said women "left their kitchens" to help him get elected to the Ohio State Senate in 1978.

"How did I get elected?" Kasich asked. "Nobody was — I didn't have anybody for me. We just got an army of people who — and many women who left their kitchens to go out and go door to door and to put yard signs up for me."

Later, a supporter referenced his comment and said: "I'll come to support you, but I won't be coming out of the kitchen."

A spokesman for Kasich responded to criticism of the comment by arguing that Kasich's campaigns have always been "homegrown" affairs literally run out of kitchens, including those of stay-at-home mom.

And as the Washington Post's Philip Bump noted, it's true that fewer women worked outside the home in 1978. But that doesn't make the comment look much better, especially in light of Kasich's record on women's issues.

Criticisms of Kasich on women's issues go beyond remarks like this

The comments come right after Kasich defunded Planned Parenthood on Sunday, a move advocates say could have disastrous consequences for public health.

Kasich, generally seen as "moderate," has been criticized for his extreme anti-abortion views. He appointed the president of Ohio Right to Life to his state medical board, and about half of Ohio's abortion clinics have closed during Kasich's tenure as governor. Advocates say the Kasich administration rejects hospital agreements that abortion clinics need to operate, for purely political reasons.

Advocates say these issues are much more serious than any offensive comments. Still, the "kitchens" comment isn't the first time Kasich has come under fire for saying something arguably tone-deaf about women's gender roles.

In November, Kasich asked a supporter at a town hall whether she had ever been on a diet in order to make a point about balancing the budget. In October, he mocked a college student's eagerness to ask him a question by telling her that he didn't "have any Taylor Swift concert tickets." And in 2012, he praised political spouses who are "at home doing the laundry" while their husbands are out getting more attention for their work.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2016, 11:37:34 AM
Unreal.  And it keeps getting unrealer. 

The world is starting the likes of Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping with the first team, and we're drafting Johnny Manziel. 

Where have you gone, Richard Milhous Nixon
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you
Woo, woo, woo.
Woo, woo, woo.

Sigh.

It's not that bad. After all Trump has just rendered valuable service to the Republic by shredding Jeb's candidacy.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Please tell me he said that in 1978 and not recently.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2016, 03:08:49 PM

He is probably trying to follow the Trump playbook of getting publicity by saying moderately offensive things that don't really mean anything, and having that somehow equate to getting votes.

But...if it happened in 1978, it should still be okay to talk about in 2016, right?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2016, 03:08:49 PM

Yes, it was from 1978. I would hope...hope that it being referenced is largely just to connect in with his planned parenthood bit and create narrative that he sucks with reference to women.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.