And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Legbiter on January 29, 2016, 06:59:58 AM
Donald Trump Is Shocking, Vulgar and Right.  :lol:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-is-shocking-vulgar-and-right-213572

Sure, an ugly billionaire was right that he can get laid a lot. Not sure that really counts as speaking truth to power.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

A lot of time is spent talking about the trainwreck of the republican nomination--and it is really awful.

But the democratic nomination looks riskier than normal too.

Hillary is 69, and unlike the other "scandals", the email one looks like it could blow up. Aside from being the former first lady to a successful president, I'm not sure the case for her presidency. She was a senator, but without great accomplishments there (not that those are so easy to accumulate). She was a Secretary of State, but I'm not sure that went so well, and it seems the proud moments of the Obama's foreign policy happened after she left (Iran, climate change agreement).

Bernie is 74, and has a lot of links to radical politics.

I really thought O'Malley would take off, as he seems like the standard and safe alternative to Hillary, but for whatever reason it never happened.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

I'm becoming more convinced that Rubio will win the primary. It's just the more rational decision out of the current field, and while the Republican base doesn't seem to be fond of sanity these past few years, I still think they are fond of winning.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 29, 2016, 01:23:24 PM
I'm becoming more convinced that Rubio will win the primary. It's just the more rational decision out of the current field, and while the Republican base doesn't seem to be fond of sanity these past few years, I still think they are fond of winning.

The sad thing is Rubio is not a particularly good candidate at all. Oh well.

And I don't think they are willing to vote for an establishment guy to win. But we will see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2016, 01:14:55 PM
A lot of time is spent talking about the trainwreck of the republican nomination--and it is really awful.

But the democratic nomination looks riskier than normal too.

Hillary is 69, and unlike the other "scandals", the email one looks like it could blow up. Aside from being the former first lady to a successful president, I'm not sure the case for her presidency. She was a senator, but without great accomplishments there (not that those are so easy to accumulate). She was a Secretary of State, but I'm not sure that went so well, and it seems the proud moments of the Obama's foreign policy happened after she left (Iran, climate change agreement).

Bernie is 74, and has a lot of links to radical politics.

I really thought O'Malley would take off, as he seems like the standard and safe alternative to Hillary, but for whatever reason it never happened.

Yep it is really bad. And I thought the 2004 election looked bad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

frunk

Quote from: Razgovory on January 29, 2016, 11:58:07 AM
He's gonna fix everything but can't articulate how that'll happen.

I think Bernie does a pretty good job of articulating how he thinks it will happen, except it just won't work.

DGuller

One difference is that Bernie has actually run something.  It was a fairly small city, but he did it for 8 years, and by all accounts was very good at his job.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2016, 01:29:15 PM
Yep it is really bad. And I thought the 2004 election looked bad.

Easily the worst in our lifetimes. If Hillary wins and the email stuff blows over, she is a decent candidate. Rubio is the best the Republicans can hope for, and as you say he is weak as well (weaker resume than Hillary, but then not so old). if that is the election, it isn't too bad. But if it deviates at all from that...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Syt

Courtesy Peter Serafinowicz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cA0NM5RAY0

QuoteI gave Mr Trump a tough guy cockney accent. No words were changed.

And similar, but with a posh British accent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUGT30gGtiI
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2016, 01:34:07 PM
One difference is that Bernie has actually run something.  It was a fairly small city, but he did it for 8 years, and by all accounts was very good at his job.

+1 for being able to run a small city, -2 for supporting the sandinistas?

Razgovory

Quote from: frunk on January 29, 2016, 01:29:59 PM

I think Bernie does a pretty good job of articulating how he thinks it will happen, except it just won't work.

It's like Occupy Wallstreet all over again.  Complete waste of time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 29, 2016, 01:50:31 PM
Quote from: frunk on January 29, 2016, 01:29:59 PM

It's like Occupy Wallstreet all over again.  Complete waste of time.

I can see where your coming from with that, but at least this time they've chosen or have gotten behind a leader; previously the OWS groups refused the notion of  leadership as being anti-democratic and against the tenets of their movement.  :frusty:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2016, 01:28:39 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 29, 2016, 01:23:24 PM

The sad thing is Rubio is not a particularly good candidate at all. Oh well.

And I don't think they are willing to vote for an establishment guy to win. But we will see.

What's wrong with Rubio?  He's a little weak on experience, but about on par with what Obama had.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on January 29, 2016, 01:57:47 PM
previously the OWS groups refused the notion of  leadership as being anti-democratic and against the tenets of their movement.  :frusty:

Yep. So worthless. Militancy combined with no specific demands or goals.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 29, 2016, 02:01:11 PM
What's wrong with Rubio?  He's a little weak on experience, but about on par with what Obama had.

Well he also has pretty extreme views for the 'rational' choice. And Obama was the outside insurgent guy, being selected almost because he had no experience. And now you have the establishment guy being of equal experience to what would have previously been an outsider longshot lightweight guy. Pretty messed up state of affairs.