News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2016, 01:39:47 AM
As I said I could be wrong - but it feels a lot like last elections in Poland - the leftist and liberal voters get bored with the mainstream, corporatist, non-ideal candidate and shift their support to a more ideologically pure straight talker. The outcome is that the right wing extremist candidate - who normally would have lost against the mainstream leftist candidate - wins.

Yeah, It's a possibility, but I don't think Sanders will win.  And the GOP seems to be in the middle of a civil war.  Whatever trouble the Democrats have, the Republicans have it much, much worse.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

The problem with Hillary is not that she's a moderate establishment figure.  The problem is that she's a Nixonian character.  I can understand the people going for the alternative.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2016, 02:00:15 AM
The problem with Hillary is not that she's a moderate establishment figure.  The problem is that she's a Nixonian character.  I can understand the people going for the alternative.

What's wrong with being a Nixonian character? Didn't he open China and end the Vietnam war?

Speaking as a non-American, Hillary is probably the best candidate for the world.

katmai

As I said I could be wrong - but it feels a lot like the last elections in Poland

USA>Polackistan.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on January 29, 2016, 02:08:42 AM
As I said I could be wrong - but it feels a lot like the last elections in Poland

USA>Polackistan.

I will make sure to be here to  :nelson: you when Trump wins.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

Oh, crap, I forgot about the debate last night.  How did it go?

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2016, 09:56:54 AM
Oh, crap, I forgot about the debate last night.  How did it go?

I only watched a few minutes between commercial breaks on other stations. Reports this morning say Rubio and Bush did well, Rubio especially. Cruz reportedly didn't do so well. Rand Paul may have done well too. But I think the biggest gain will be Rubio who is already in the top three in many polls.

DGuller

Rubio has been poised for the biggest gain after every debate, and yet it's been happening tepidly at best so far.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on January 29, 2016, 10:22:07 AM
But I think the biggest gain will be Rubio who is already in the top three in many polls.

LOL sure. Dude has been skyrocketing in the polls, supposedly, for months.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Lol, I realize he's been moving upwards at a snail's pace, but he supposedly had the best showing so it should favor him the most. Which isn't necessarily saying much of a bump, if any, so correct on that.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2016, 10:57:46 AM
But I think the biggest gain will be Rubio who is already in the top three in many polls.

If Cruz falters, he will pick up the anti-Trump vote.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 29, 2016, 11:13:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2016, 10:57:46 AM

If Cruz falters, he will pick up the anti-Trump vote.

We'll see. I am not so sure their supporters have that much overlap. Alot of Cruz supporters are anti-establishment types as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

As I said I could be wrong - but it feels a lot like the last elections in Poland - the leftist and liberal voters get bored with the mainstream, corporatist, non-ideal candidate and shift their support to a more ideologically pure straight talker. The end result is that the right wing extremist candidate - who normally would have lost against the mainstream leftist candidate - wins.

Now, I know that right now Bernie is showed winning against Trump with a higher margin than Hillary - but that's the early enthusiasm and is also based on the fact that Bernie is the "anti-Trump". If, for whatever reason, some Trump's qualities (such as being a hawk) become suddenly more attractive to voters, he can take away the centre from Bernie in a way he wouldn't from Hillary (who is much less of an "anti-Trump").

Bernie isn't the anti-trump, he's the Democratic Trump.  He's the anti-establishment candidate who promises nonsense.  He's gonna fix everything but can't articulate how that'll happen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017