2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2016, 09:40:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2016, 09:23:59 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2016, 09:09:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2016, 08:55:30 AM
Yes. People totally move to cities to "self-segregate". It has nothing at all to do with that being where the jobs are or something. There could be tons of high paying jobs throughout the Kansas countryside but nobody would move there because they are so evil and Democratlike and shit.

People who move to NYC or California often are partly motivated by the desire to be around like minded people. But go ahead and take it as a personal criticism even though you live in Texas.  :lol:

NYC sure, California...well I'm not sure on that. California, by virtue of size and number of people, has a fair degree of diversity. You can get your red state community depending where you live.

Sure, but the state overall is non-competitive, and the hot spots for out-of-state immigration even more so.

Okay? Seems unrelated to narrative that people only move to California to self-segregate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2016, 09:53:14 AM
Okay? Seems unrelated to narrative that people only move to California to self-segregate.

First off, that narrative is what grumbler would call a straw man, as you're the one who insinuated "only" into it.  :mad:  Secondly, the fact that somebody chooses to move into the Bay Area rather than some hick farming town in northern Cali is relevant if that is their purpose. (And yes, Valmy, the presence of jobs there is the biggest driving factor. But there are also jobs in Houston and Atlanta).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2016, 10:17:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2016, 09:53:14 AM

First off, that narrative is what grumbler would call a straw man, as you're the one who insinuated "only" into it.  :mad:  Secondly, the fact that somebody chooses to move into the Bay Area rather than some hick farming town in northern Cali is relevant if that is their purpose. (And yes, Valmy, the presence of jobs there is the biggest driving factor. But there are also jobs in Houston and Atlanta).

But you've just undermined that example by noting that presence of jobs is the main factor. Are the same jobs driving such a hypothetical move available in Houston?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

(And yes, Valmy, the presence of jobs there is the biggest driving factor. But there are also jobs in Houston and Atlanta).

Hey who did those cities vote for in the last election? Huh.

Fulton County, Georgia went 70% for Clinton
Harris County, Texas 54% for Clinton

Just saying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2016, 10:25:58 AM
Are the same jobs driving such a hypothetical move available in Houston?

Unless it's a job as a surf instructor, yes. I mean, you might not get a job with google, but there's certainly tech jobs there.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2016, 10:31:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2016, 10:25:58 AM
Are the same jobs driving such a hypothetical move available in Houston?

Unless it's a job as a surf instructor, yes. I mean, you might not get a job with google, but there's certainly tech jobs there.

I'll take that as a no though. Sure, there are jobs in many places...that doesn't make them the same (aka equally good).

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2016, 10:28:27 AM
(And yes, Valmy, the presence of jobs there is the biggest driving factor. But there are also jobs in Houston and Atlanta).

Just saying.

:yuk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2016, 10:57:08 AM

Just saying.

:yuk:

:mmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on November 21, 2016, 08:13:23 AM
Actually, not only is your assertion not "spelled out pretty clearly," it is completely wrong.  The purpose of the EC is to allow disproportionate representation to the smaller states, who feared that, without it, they would be ignored in the presidential campaigns.  There is zero evidence that the purpose of the EC was to simply to allow people who "knew better" to over-ride the popular vote

That was the stated justification.
The other purpose was to get the South on board.  Because in combination with the 3/5ths clause, the EC gave the South disproportionate weight in the EC and thus in presidential elections.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Just saying.

Right - its becoming more and more a straight urban-rural divide.
ET's "enclaves" are in fact spread all over the country.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Except Democrats in Atlanta or Houston "get" Republicans in a way New Yorkers usually don't. At least that's the impression I get watching the news and reading Languish.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2016, 11:26:18 AM
Except Democrats in Atlanta or Houston "get" Republicans in a way New Yorkers usually don't. At least that's the impression I get watching the news and reading Languish.  :P

I don't know that it is that New Yorkers and San Franciscans don't 'get' Republicans. Understood and dismissed. :P

Eddie Teach

Anyone who answers the question "Why would anyone vote Republican?" with "Duh! Racism!" doesn't understand them.

celedhring

Well, the garden variety NE or California Republican is a far cry from what you get in Alabama.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2016, 11:36:51 AM
Anyone who answers the question "Why would anyone vote Republican?" with "Duh! Racism!" doesn't understand them.

Sounds like a university student response.