2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2016, 01:15:26 PM
You act like refusing to interact with Republicans in the South and flyover states is a bad thing.

Helps lead to them voting for candidates like Trump, so yeah, a bad thing.

garbon

Quote from: dps on November 21, 2016, 01:21:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2016, 01:15:26 PM
You act like refusing to interact with Republicans in the South and flyover states is a bad thing.

Helps lead to them voting for candidates like Trump, so yeah, a bad thing.

No. I refuse to be labelled as to blame for Trump. For one, it infantalizes Republican voters in those states.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I mean sure I interact with them but they are so visceral and so loaded with their own narrative you cannot really get anywhere before the screaming and name calling begins. So I just don't. Being called a 'baby killer' by angry red necks was fun the first time but it gets old quick.

Kind of like trying to convince DGuller to vote Republican.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2016, 01:27:45 PM
I mean sure I interact with them but they are so visceral and so loaded with their own narrative you cannot really get anywhere before the screaming and name calling begins. So I just don't. Being called a 'baby killer' by angry red necks was fun the first time but it gets old quick.

:yes:

I live in the heart of the heartland (though luckily in a college town), so I get to hear their spiel all the damn time. It never starts nor ends with, "See, here is my logical and well-thought-out reason for voting for Trump/Republicans."
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Maybe don't interact with those at rallies/protests.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2016, 01:38:41 PM

Maybe don't interact with those at rallies/protests.  :P

Nah I got that from my Mom's friend's conservative son. In my defense I did not bring up the election at all, he just gathered I was voting for Clinton and it was off to the screaming races. I caused the holocaust of the 21st century. True story.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2016, 01:50:26 PM
Yeah, door swings both ways on that.

No kidding. I have certainly gotten it from nutty leftists as well. But the whole 'you people need to stop being so snobby and really listen to what the poor downtrodden conservatives have to say' gets a little old. We cannot help but listen to what they have to say because they are pretty vocal. And they happen to control all the levers of power in my state, among many others. They have plenty of platforms for communication.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2016, 10:28:27 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2016, 10:17:41 AM
(And yes, Valmy, the presence of jobs there is the biggest driving factor. But there are also jobs in Houston and Atlanta).

Hey who did those cities vote for in the last election? Huh.

Fulton County, Georgia went 70% for Clinton
Harris County, Texas 54% for Clinton

Just saying.

Of course.

This "segregation" is not between Democrats and Republicans.

It is between the educated, and the not-so-educated.

And the educated, by and large, live predominantly in urban and suburban areas, regardless of which part of the country they happen to be in...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

Quote from: Berkut on November 21, 2016, 02:28:25 PM
It is between the educated, and the not-so-educated.

And the educated, by and large, live predominantly in urban and suburban areas, regardless of which part of the country they happen to be in...

Not to worry, I am sure public education will become the priority it needs to be.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 21, 2016, 04:09:03 PM
Not to worry, I am sure public education will become the priority it needs to be.

It already is, isn't it - they've been gutting educational standards in a number of states for years.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 21, 2016, 04:34:18 PM
It already is, isn't it - they've been gutting educational standards in a number of states for years.

What are you talking about?

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2016, 04:37:22 PM

Common Core?

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2016, 04:37:22 PM

You know what, I'm not sure. Consider the comment withdrawn :)