2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 22, 2016, 03:59:58 PM
This raises what IMO is the real issue with charter schools: separating the ambitious affluent kids from the delinquent poor types.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 22, 2016, 04:02:56 PM
This raises what IMO is the real issue with charter schools: separating the ambitious affluent kids from the delinquent poor types.

Indeed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zanza on November 22, 2016, 03:55:03 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2016, 03:45:48 PM
Anyhow, The Apprentice: DC is back after a few ads!

QuoteDonald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  4h4 hours ago
I am seriously considering Dr. Ben Carson as the head of HUD. I've gotten to know him well--he's a greatly talented person who loves people!
He could build pyramids to store grain as HUD secretary.  :)

I didn't know Carson was a Civ fan.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 22, 2016, 04:02:56 PM

Leaving aside the bizarre claim that "affluence" has any significance in the inner city school districts where most charter schools operate, and also leaving aside the condescending assumption that "affluent" kids will deterministically be better behaved and more attentive than poor students, what changes?  If they're "affluent" does that make it acceptable to sacrifice their future for the sake of the low performers?  Does it make it desirable?

Oexmelin

Clearly, ambition and behavior are determined by lottery.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Charter schools are more a parent lottery than a kid lottery, no?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

There are private schools that the rich can send their children to if they so choose;  that's not the issue.  The issue is, is the state going to provide some sort of funding to allow less affluent parents the same choice.  There are arguments for and against.  The main argument for:  if states provide such funding, it helps less affluent parents avail their children of the same educational opportunities available to the wealthy.  The main argument against:  it diverts funds that could be used to improve public schools.  I think there is some merit in both arguments.

Berkut

I think my main argument against charter schools isn't about the charter schools per se, but rather about the perverse incentives it creates within the public school system.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

I see a lot of similarities between healthcare and education.  The debate is between higher average quality and worse quality on the wrong end of the distribution, or lower average quality with a minimum guarantee.  In both system you can also get the worst of both worlds by trying to straddle between the two paradigms.

Solmyr

Quote from: garbon on November 22, 2016, 09:29:51 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 22, 2016, 09:24:20 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2016, 08:33:54 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2016, 08:03:00 PM
Ohio's education budget is increasing.

Taking public funds to enrich private charter schools isn't really "increasing." 

So stop inciting bad mathematics.

Oh yeah, how dare we try to introduce some innovation & competition. 

Why should the government want to introduce competition among the schools that it funds? :huh:

What's more funny is the claim that the private sector is somehow more innovative and less corrupt by default.

Solmyr

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 22, 2016, 04:24:33 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 22, 2016, 03:55:03 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2016, 03:45:48 PM
Anyhow, The Apprentice: DC is back after a few ads!

QuoteDonald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  4h4 hours ago
I am seriously considering Dr. Ben Carson as the head of HUD. I've gotten to know him well--he's a greatly talented person who loves people!
He could build pyramids to store grain as HUD secretary.  :)

I didn't know Carson was a Civ fan.  :)

Clearly not, otherwise he'd know that pyramids improve your worker efficiency and granary is a totally separate building.

Eddie Teach

The pyramids acted as a granary in every city in one version.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney