2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on November 21, 2016, 08:51:40 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 21, 2016, 08:13:23 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 21, 2016, 07:29:45 AM
Yeah, AFAIK it's spelled out pretty clearly that the intent was that the people didn't elect the president directly and there would be an intermediate body of folks that "would know better".

So I don't think originalist appeals particularly support the Trumpist cause here.

Actually, not only is your assertion not "spelled out pretty clearly," it is completely wrong.  The purpose of the EC is to allow disproportionate representation to the smaller states, who feared that, without it, they would be ignored in the presidential campaigns.  There is zero evidence that the purpose of the EC was to simply to allow people who "knew better" to over-ride the popular vote

Hamilton spelled it out on the Federalist Papers. He's certainly just one horse, but it's certainly the horse's mouth.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed68.asp

Madison spelled it out in The Federalist Papers No 39.  He's certainly just one horse, but the horse's mouth who was actually part of the negotiations that led to the establishment of the EC (Hamilton was absent).

QuoteThe immediate election of the President is to be made by the States in their political characters. The votes allotted to them are in a compound ratio, which considers them partly as distinct and coequal societies, partly as unequal members of the same society. The eventual election, again, is to be made by that branch of the legislature which consists of the national representatives; but in this particular act they are to be thrown into the form of individual delegations, from so many distinct and coequal bodies politic.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed39.asp

I withdraw the assertion that there is "zero evidence" to the contrary.  You have presented such evidence.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on November 21, 2016, 04:34:18 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on November 21, 2016, 04:09:03 PM
Not to worry, I am sure public education will become the priority it needs to be.

It already is, isn't it - they've been gutting educational standards in a number of states for years.

Standards don't really change.  Now budgets, on the other hand...well, they disappear.

derspiess

Where are education budgets disappearing, Seedy?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2016, 07:45:47 PM
Where are education budgets disappearing, Seedy?

Georgia.  Kansas.  Oklahoma.  Maryland.  Plenty of states to choose from, dersendshiskidstoprivateschooltoavoidniggers.

derspiess

Ohio's education budget is increasing.  And one of the kids is in a public school now. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2016, 08:03:00 PM
Ohio's education budget is increasing.

Taking public funds to enrich private charter schools isn't really "increasing." 

So stop inciting bad mathematics.

Valmy

The budgets here are taken from the local property taxes. In my neck of the woods they are crazy high. Yes the fascists in Williamson County have higher school taxes than the communists in Travis County.

So is it not like that in other states?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2016, 08:37:03 PM
The budgets here are taken from the local property taxes. In my neck of the woods they are crazy high. Yes the fascists in Williamson County have higher school taxes than the communists in Travis County.

48 other states rely primarily on state income and sales tax.

CountDeMoney

We must privatize education at all costs.  Yay, charter schools!

Valmy

We have a bunch of pretty successful charter schools here that are being run by my buddies in the Gulen movement. Erdogan has sent attorneys to Texas to try to shut them down. Honest to God.

I will just stick with the regular public schools though since I am paying a fortune for them anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2016, 08:33:54 PM

Taking public funds to enrich private charter schools isn't really "increasing." 

Oh yeah, how dare we try to introduce some innovation & competition. 

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 22, 2016, 09:24:20 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2016, 08:33:54 PM

Oh yeah, how dare we try to introduce some innovation & competition. 

Why should the government want to introduce competition among the schools that it funds? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 22, 2016, 09:29:51 AM
Why should the government want to introduce competition among the schools that it funds? :huh:

To make them better.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on November 22, 2016, 09:36:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 22, 2016, 09:29:51 AM

To make them better.

How dare you suggest competition made anyone better?

Savonarola

Florida runs a similar system to that; although in my (deeply red) county we have an additional sales tax to pay for schools.

Michigan divides the entire sum between individual districts on a per student basis.  This works out well in most places; however it has problems in areas of shrinking population (such as Michigan's upper peninsula.)  In those places many little towns could reduce overhead by combining districts; but since the local high school is the one point of pride those towns still have they're unwilling to do so.  It works out worse in Detroit since they have the same problem with shrinking population and, well, all that graft isn't going to pay for itself.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock