2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2016, 10:40:33 PM
Something to keep an eye on is Arizona . . . exit polls and early returns have been close.

If there's one thing to learn from today it's the uselessness of exit polls.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on November 08, 2016, 10:44:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 08, 2016, 10:40:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 08, 2016, 10:37:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2016, 10:35:39 PM
So I'm going to hang on to the Virginia example for awhile and not get too worried about early results in Wisconsin and Michigan and NH.

It's very early, but Clinton leading in Iowa with 5% reporting. :)
Clinton still has some chance to win the presidency, yes.  But she has no chance of getting a mandate, or even a concession of the legitimacy of her win.  We're down to the two most disastrous outcomes.

At this point I will settle for a dissapointing win.
Honestly, I don't know which one is worse.  Maybe with Republicans sweeping the presidency, both houses, and now the Supreme Court, we may achieve the seemingly impossible:  a demonstration of what a disaster contemporary GOP policies are to the extent that they're impossible to attribute to anything else other than GOP policies.  A narrow Clinton win (which won't even give her a Supreme Court nomination) will just further ensnare our country in a frozen civil war conflict.

They'll find ways to deflect blame elsewhere, at least for a while.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 08, 2016, 10:50:00 PM

The regular polling was terrible as well.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Something to keep an eye on is Arizona . . . exit polls and early returns have been close.

I don't know, the ones some will fill-in when they leave America could be quite informative to a Trump administration.

Minsky do you have access to something like an Irish passport?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

Didn't we learn that like 4 elections ago?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 08, 2016, 10:35:49 PM
Well, considering that Brexit unleashed a number of violent incident from people who felt authorized, and vindicated, I worry about the aftermath of the Trump presidency. Nothing in his campaign, or from his supporters, indicate they will be decent winners. Or losers.

It will be a bad time to be a communist on the streets of Berlin.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Barrister

The count in Penn is narrowing dramatically, and apparently in Wisconsin the vote from Milwaukee (heavily Clinton) is mostly in.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

The good thing about democracy is it is ultimately self-correcting.

Hopefully we at least 4 years to realize our mistake.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zanza

I just hope he is not interested in foreign policy and leaves that to someone capable. 

mongers

BBC coverage hits a new low, something along the lines of anchor say "these results are not what the Clinton camparign would want".   :hmm:

garbon

Well I guess it is good I've already fled the country. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers