2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 08, 2016, 11:00:21 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 08, 2016, 10:56:41 PM
The good thing about democracy is it is ultimately self-correcting

It's not.
Agreed. It's definitely possible to do real and lasting damage to a democracy and its institutions.

Admiral Yi

I am seeing Michigan tightening.  Trump by 30K.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Oexmelin

Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2016, 11:06:14 PM
Agreed. It's definitely possible to do real and lasting damage to a democracy and its institutions.

I would feel better if I thought American institutions were in a stronger shape, but i think there has been a steady erosion over the course of even just the last 20 years.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

You know the fact the Winnipeg Jets had a big win tonight (8-2 over Dallas) is somehow not brightening my mood right now...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 08, 2016, 11:11:57 PM

I would feel better if I thought American institutions were in a stronger shape, but i think there has been a steady erosion over the course of even just the last 20 years.

I agree with this.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2016, 10:59:03 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 08, 2016, 10:54:24 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 08, 2016, 10:53:23 PM
Florida called for Trump

Coffin, may I introduce you to another nail.

I was playing with the numbers, and if Trump doesn't win Michigan it gets dicey for him. He is going to lose the left coast (California, Oregon, Washington, and Hawaii) - the late game heavily favors the dems.

Of course if he somehow pulls out Pennsylvania that is game over.

Yeah, he needs to hold on in Michigan.  Actually, he could carry Michigan, Wisconsin, and New Hampshire and still lose, but probably would win.

Fate

He can win without Michigan.

Wisconsin is just as damning to Clinton as Michigan. If she loses it, and wins Michigan, it's still game over for Clinton.

NH and NV don't matter.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2016, 11:13:31 PM
You know the fact the Winnipeg Jets had a big win tonight (8-2 over Dallas) is somehow not brightening my mood right now...

Leafs lost 7 nothing. Make you feel better?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Liep

So.. what's the turnout? Any numbers on that yet?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zoupa

She's down 2 million in number of votes.  :huh:

Guys, guys, guys. The Apprentice guy? Grab women by the pussy? I fear for our future  :cry:

Berkut

Yeah.

The crazy right media has made a boatload of money feeding the crazies and stoking the spicey fires of the ignorant right, and that message has been consistently that the democratic process is only meaningful when they win, and absent that, simply refusing to govern is good and reasonable politics.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

It's all the same insurgent anti-democratic movement, just about to reach its triumphant conclusion.  You can't be a bigot in a diversifying country with political power without limiting democracy.  We thought it was a troublesome but manageable movement, those of us not cheering it on, but now the insurgents are about to capture the capital.