2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Looks like Legbiter, Ed, and Spicy and their people came through in the end.

We're in for good times.

Zanza

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 08, 2016, 11:11:57 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2016, 11:06:14 PM
Agreed. It's definitely possible to do real and lasting damage to a democracy and its institutions.

I would feel better if I thought American institutions were in a stronger shape, but i think there has been a steady erosion over the course of even just the last 20 years.
Congress not willing to govern and the Court becoming just another partisan institution instead of an impartial arbiter makes you wonder how strong the foundations of the Republic are.

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2016, 11:18:59 PMCongress not willing to govern and the Court becoming just another partisan institution instead of an impartial arbiter makes you wonder how strong the foundations of the Republic are.

Brexit, Trump, right-wing authoritarians across most of Europe... if it was a book or movie that's what you'd call "heavy foreshadowing".

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2016, 11:18:59 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on November 08, 2016, 11:11:57 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2016, 11:06:14 PM
Agreed. It's definitely possible to do real and lasting damage to a democracy and its institutions.

I would feel better if I thought American institutions were in a stronger shape, but i think there has been a steady erosion over the course of even just the last 20 years.
Congress not willing to govern and the Court becoming just another partisan institution instead of an impartial arbiter makes you wonder how strong the foundations of the Republic are.
Our institutions were flawed to begin with, and just too many people viewed them as the enemy rather than an asset.

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on November 08, 2016, 11:20:24 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2016, 11:18:59 PMCongress not willing to govern and the Court becoming just another partisan institution instead of an impartial arbiter makes you wonder how strong the foundations of the Republic are.

Brexit, Trump, right-wing authoritarians across most of Europe... if it was a book or movie that's what you'd call "heavy foreshadowing".
The French might elect Marine Le Pen in March to continue the theme ...

Admiral Yi

Trump's lead in MI down to 15K.  Wisconsin still fucked.

Grallon

How much damage can he do, especially with a GOP Congress?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

FunkMonk

Calling it now: Dems will run an ultra-leftist populist in response for 2020.

The republic is screwed.  :ph34r:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

In Moscow, Putin gets ready to pop the Sovetskoye Shampanskoye.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 08, 2016, 11:24:10 PM
You mean Bernie Sanders, right?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Quote from: Caliga on November 08, 2016, 11:25:14 PM
You mean Bernie Sanders, right?

Yeah  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Oexmelin

The republic is screwed.  :ph34r:

I still think Bernie could have won against Trump. If he had, and if you count him as a ultra-leftist populist, I don't think he would have had the same blatant disregard for institutions as Trump has.

I also do not see the US as capable of sustaining a mass left-wing movement right now.
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

What about the one or possibly two faithless electors?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2016, 11:22:44 PM
Trump's lead in MI down to 15K.  Wisconsin still fucked.

How central is MI? If it flips, is the whole thing back to being competitive?

Zoupa

Quote from: Jacob on November 08, 2016, 11:18:38 PM
Looks like Legbiter, Ed, and Spicy and their people came through in the end.

We're in for good times.

I've been reading for months how Clinton's ground game and get out the vote infrastructure was vastly superior to Trump's. How he barely ran ads, didn't have many field offices etc. He spent what, maybe 10-15% of what she did?

Even if she manages to squeak a win, there are some hard lessons to learn for democrats in there tonight. Looks like they're not going to pick up the Senate either, I guess Clinton was a clear drag on the ticket.

What a clusterfuck.