2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Michigan is still early voting, and it has a lot of urban and college educated voters still to come.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

She needs to win Michigan, Pennsylvania and one of NH or Nevada.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 08, 2016, 10:37:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2016, 10:35:39 PM
So I'm going to hang on to the Virginia example for awhile and not get too worried about early results in Wisconsin and Michigan and NH.

It's very early, but Clinton leading in Iowa with 5% reporting. :)
Clinton still has some chance to win the presidency, yes.  But she has no chance of getting a mandate, or even a concession of the legitimacy of her win.  We're down to the two most disastrous outcomes.

At this point I will settle for a dissapointing win.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Something to keep an eye on is Arizona. It is a big state that was expected to go to Trump but exit polls and early returns have been close.

If Clinton somehow wins there, it almost offsets a big upset like in Michigan.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Oexmelin

Exit polls have been shit at predicting outcome though. And college educated workers seem to have stayed home.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Berkut

Which is worse - Trump being president, or people now saying how brilliant Trump apparently was for being right all along?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

Quote from: mongers on November 08, 2016, 10:38:53 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on November 08, 2016, 10:35:49 PM
Well, considering that Brexit unleashed a number of violent incident from people who felt authorized, and vindicated, I worry about the aftermath of the Trump presidency. Nothing in his campaign, or from his supporters, indicate they will be decent winners. Or losers.

I think that goes without saying, the question is whether he can be bothered to try and rein-in his flag-bearers?

I don't think he is, for displays of strength magnifies his ego.
Que le grand cric me croque !

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on November 08, 2016, 10:40:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 08, 2016, 10:37:31 PM
So I'm going to hang on to the Virginia example for awhile and not get too worried about early results in Wisconsin and Michigan and NH.

Clinton still has some chance to win the presidency, yes.  But she has no chance of getting a mandate, or even a concession of the legitimacy of her win.  We're down to the two most disastrous outcomes.

At this point I will settle for a dissapointing win.
Honestly, I don't know which one is worse.  Maybe with Republicans sweeping the presidency, both houses, and now the Supreme Court, we may achieve the seemingly impossible:  a demonstration of what a disaster contemporary GOP policies are to the extent that they're impossible to attribute to anything else other than GOP policies.  A narrow Clinton win (which won't even give her a Supreme Court nomination) will just further ensnare our country in a frozen civil war conflict.

Josephus

For once I hope youre right.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 08, 2016, 10:43:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 08, 2016, 10:38:53 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on November 08, 2016, 10:35:49 PM
Well, considering that Brexit unleashed a number of violent incident from people who felt authorized, and vindicated, I worry about the aftermath of the Trump presidency. Nothing in his campaign, or from his supporters, indicate they will be decent winners. Or losers.

I think that goes without saying, the question is whether he can be bothered to try and rein-in his flag-bearers?

I don't think he is, for displays of strength magnifies his ego.

Yeah, do you think they'll be insensitive enough to have a nightime torchlite procession.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

"The American people have the constitutional right to be wrong."
--United States Senator Warren Rudman (R-New Hampshire)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on November 08, 2016, 10:35:06 PM
Lord in Heaven, please have mercy upon us and deliver us from a Trump presidency.

The guy God told you to vote for?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grallon

Is this clown actually winning?  I can't believe it!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 08, 2016, 10:44:36 PM

For once I hope youre right.

Oh let's be clear I'm making no predictions here. -_-

fivethirtyeight.com is giving Clinton a 50% chance of winning, and Trump a 48% chance (2% no EC winner).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Grallon on November 08, 2016, 10:47:22 PM
Is this clown actually winning?  I can't believe it!

G.

Well his chearleaders were Marty and Legbiter.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"