2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2016, 11:35:27 PM
Sasks! :hug:

Bernie will be too old, but yes, I'm afraid that the Dems lesson from all this will be to run to their base as well with a wild-and-woolly leftist populist.
Fuck this thinking, really.  I'm not saying that Democrats were perfect, but it really doesn't matter what they do in the long run as long as we have anti-democratic insurgency brewing.  We've had eight years of at least pretty competent and definitely morally upstanding Democrat as president, and yet half the country thinks the world is ending.  Sorry, Democrats tailoring their political message isn't going to fix this, they really aren't the problem, the authoritarian insurgents are the fucking problem.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2016, 11:36:25 PM
This may be one of the worst days of my life.

Yep.

This election was definitely a repudiation of everything I stand for.

This year has been pretty bad for me in so many ways. Now this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

What a fucking embarrassment.

I just can't believe there are this many ignorant people in this country.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 08, 2016, 11:39:29 PM
What do Languishites tell their daughters tomorrow?

That little boys should be doctors, and little girls should be nurses.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on November 08, 2016, 11:42:35 PM

UK voters aren't quite the most stupid electorate in the world.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

I can.  And if we're going to relieve the Trump voters of any responsibility for their actions, and put the responsibility for election outcomes strictly on the sane actors, then the "moderates" are the ones who have blood on their hands.  When the choice is between flawed good and evil, being in the middle is being complicit.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on November 08, 2016, 11:41:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2016, 11:35:27 PM
Sasks! :hug:

Bernie will be too old, but yes, I'm afraid that the Dems lesson from all this will be to run to their base as well with a wild-and-woolly leftist populist.
Fuck this thinking, really.  I'm not saying that Democrats were perfect, but it really doesn't matter what they do in the long run as long as we have anti-democratic insurgency brewing.  We've had eight years of at least pretty competent and definitely morally upstanding Democrat as president, and yet half the country thinks the world is ending.  Sorry, Democrats tailoring their political message isn't going to fix this, they really aren't the problem, the authoritarian insurgents are the fucking problem.

Just fucking relax already.  I was pulling for Hillary (even though it galled me).

The risk I see is that the Dems are going to learn the wrong lesson from this, and instead of running a "pretty competent and definitely morally upstanding Democrat" they'll nominate some hard-left bombthrower.

I also mourn for the GOP, and the right in the west more generally.  I was in the Reformicon camp - that we in the right needed to try and expand and update our message, but without losing our conservative Burkean soul.  Now I fear that right-wingers will learn that insane populism sells and go that route instead.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

I don't see why you would believe that.  This country has a rich tradition of hating immigrants, niggers, women.  And it just reaffirmed that.

Admiral Yi

The next four years are going to be a nightmare, but the worst part may be the realization I live in a nation of retards and assholes.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Oexmelin

Quote from: DGuller on November 08, 2016, 11:41:17 PM

Yes, very much so. Clinton was fighting not even the previous war, she was fighting the war before that. Obama was an anomaly, and crystallized tendencies seen under Bush: catastrophism, celebration of authority against bureaucratic / democratic impotence, declension narrative, betrayal of the wider world, the ineffectiveness of diplomacy... This one added the decline of manufactung jobs to the mix, while faith took a back seat.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2016, 11:36:25 PM
This may be one of the worst days of my life.

The fact that you voted for Hillary gave me false confidence - I figured you were a bellwether for reasonable Republicans. If you were, I guess there aren't enough reasonable Republicans :(

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2016, 11:49:08 PM
The next four years are going to be a nightmare, but the worst part may be the realization I live in a nation of retards and assholes.

You've reached the age you have, without realising just how many contemptable people there are in the world?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Lettow77

It looks to be a resounding victory for the values the South has always stood for :)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'