News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Meanwhile, back at the God-Emperor's throne room...

QuoteTrump Foundation's $20,000 purchase of Trump painting gives new meaning to art of the deal
Published: Sept 12, 2016 12:43 p.m. ET
MarketWatch

Talk about the art of the deal: Donald Trump's charity once bought a 6-foot-tall painting of the wealthy businessman for $20,000 and supposedly put it on display at one of his golf courses.

The purchase of the painting is just one of several tidbits that jump out in a lengthy review of Trump's personal charity by the Washington Post. What's usual, the Post writes, is that Trump rarely gives away his own money, using donations from others to give to charities in his own name.

As with Trump's presidential campaign, his charity operates on a shoestring budget and is dominated by family members. At last check the Post said the foundation only had $1.3 million.

The life-size painting was purchased in 2007 during a charity event at which a so-called speed painter drew a likeness of Trump in just a few minutes. Melania Trump bid $10,000, and when no one else bid, she doubled the offer in a customary practice at charity auctions.

The painter, Michael Israel, told the Post it was his understanding the artwork was sent to a Trump-owned golf course.

IRS rules bar charity owners from using donations to buy items for themselves, and it's possible Trump broke the law, as happened at least one other time with his charity.

A similar occurrence may have taken place in 2012 when the Trump Foundation spent $12,000 to buy a football helmet autographed by former college football star Tim Tebow.

The Trump campaign declined to comment to the Post. Trump has also declined to release his tax returns, making it hard to determine his charitable contributions.

Democrats were quick to seize on the revelations, including Hillary Clinton.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on September 12, 2016, 04:56:22 PM
QuoteGOP presidential nominee Donald Trump plans to announce the results of his physical this week on "The Dr. Oz Show," Fox News is reporting.

Trump, whose appearance on the program was announced last week, will reveal his physical on the show Thursday, according to Fox News correspondent John Roberts.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/295387-trump-to-release-physical-report-on-dr-oz-show-report

:lol: :showoff:

Well that should take care of the soccer mom vote.

Dr Oz  :lol: :lol: :lol:

They complement each other, no doubt  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 12, 2016, 08:21:19 PM
Dr Oz  :lol: :lol: :lol:

They complement each other, no doubt  :lol:

Fucking perfection, isn't it? 

And then you think:  of course! It makes perfect sense!

DGuller

Quote from: LaCroix on September 12, 2016, 09:56:49 AM
loving the comments by legbiter and marti  :lol:
I'm not.  There once was a time when at least clever trolling was amusing, not that their trolling rises to that level.  But the western world has trolled itself to the brink of disaster, so let's knock this shit off already before we all become like Russia.  If you're trolling, you're neither clever nor original, no matter how you do it.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on September 12, 2016, 08:29:38 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on September 12, 2016, 09:56:49 AM
loving the comments by legbiter and marti  :lol:
I'm not.  There once was a time when at least clever trolling was amusing, not that their trolling rises to that level.  But the western world has trolled itself to the brink of disaster, so let's knock this shit off already before we all become like Russia.  If you're trolling, you're neither clever nor original, no matter how you do it.

That was a hurtful comment. They have feelings.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

QuotePneumonia Virus Terrified After Remembering What Clintons Capable Of

WASHINGTON—Expressing regret over its reckless decision to infect the Democratic presidential nominee, the virus causing Hillary Clinton's pneumonia was reportedly terrified Monday after remembering what the Clintons were capable of. "Oh shit, what the hell was I thinking—you don't get on the wrong side of these people," said the infectious agent, which became increasingly worried while recalling just how far the Clintons were willing to go to get what they wanted, as well as what often happened to those who dared to cross the powerful politicians. "Everybody knows you never mess with the Clintons. These people won't hesitate to absolutely crush you, and they have the money and connections to do it. I knew I should've just stayed clear. I'm so fucked." At press time, the horrified virus was reportedly planning to avoid the Clintons' wrath by taking its own life.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2016, 06:18:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 12, 2016, 05:51:46 PM
Why didn't Hillary go to the hospital?  She had pneumonia, apparently passed out, and then just went to Chelsea's apartment?

Walking pneumonia apparently.

Based on that footage, more like staggering pneumonia.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on September 12, 2016, 11:25:01 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 12, 2016, 11:07:09 PM
Hillary declares war on Pepe the Frog cartoon:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/feed/donald-trump-pepe-the-frog-and-white-supremacists-an-explainer/

:lmfao:

Milo is living in her head, rent free :lol:

I mean, you couldn't make this shit up. :D

As a friend put it, the best way to prove you have no brain damage is to declare war on a cartoon frog.

jimmy olsen

Seems like the deplorable gambit worked out. Trump campaign is going to get hammered for this.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/09/13/mike-pence-refuses-call-david-duke-deplorable/90291562/

QuoteDonald Trump's running mate Mike Pence may not want former KKK leader David Duke's support, but he doesn't want to be mean about it.

Pence declined to call Duke "deplorable" Monday during a discussion with CNN's Wolf Blitzer about Hillary Clinton's statement that half of Trump's supporters are part of a "basket of deplorables."

"There are some supporters of Donald Trump and Mike Pence, David Duke, for example, some other white nationalists, who would fit into that category of deplorables, right?" Blitzer asked.

Pence said Trump has denounced Duke repeatedly. "We don't want his support and we don't want the support of people who think like him," he said.

"So, you'd call him a deplorable?" Blitzer asked.

"I'm not in the name-calling business, Wolf. You know me better than that," Pence said.

Pence tried to keep the focus on Clinton's statement. He called her "basket of deplorables" comment shocking. "The millions of people who support Donald Trump around this country are not a basket of anything. They are Americans. And they deserve the respect of the Democrat nominee for president of the United States."

The Clinton campaign jumped all over Pence's refusal to insult the former KKK grand wizard, saying in a tweet that anyone who won't call out the KKK, "has no business running this country."

Hillary Clinton ✔  ‎@HillaryClinton 

If you won't say the KKK is deplorable, you have no business running the country.

7:09 AM - 13 Sep 2016

"It's good to see an individual like Pence and others start to reject this absolute controlled media," David Duke told BuzzFeed. He also came to Pence's defense on Twitter, calling Clinton a hypocrite for her support of former West Virginia senator, and KKK member, Robert Byrd.

David Duke  ‎@DrDavidDuke 

Clinton attacks Pense for NOT calling me "Deplorable" Yet, #HypocriteHillary supported ex-kKK Robert Byrd for Senate Leader! "Deplorable?"

9:56 AM - 13 Sep 2016

Byrd was indeed a member of the KKK, and Duke has often attacked the media for a double standard in the way Bryd's KKK legacy is treated in contrast to his own. Byrd, however, apologized for his past. Duke has expressed no such contrition — in fact, he called Blizter "an agent" of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee in a tweet Monday night.

Duke's support first caused trouble for the Trump campaign back in February when Trump refused to disavow the support of the former KKK leader — he later blamed the incident on a faulty ear piece.

Pence repeated his denouncement of Duke on Fox News later Monday, and dismissed the criticism for his refusal to call Duke deplorable. "I get it, they wanted me to start using terms that Hillary uses. You've known me a long time, I'm not a name caller, I don't play that game. But we have denounced David Duke repeatedly, we'll continue to do that again."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.