And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 02:05:46 AM
What is hammering in your world, Tim?

Negative media attention of the kind that will help drive down his vote share among educated whites, and white women in general.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Seems unlikely. They denounced him, they just didn't want to use the word deplorable. Why would they want to agree/support Clinton's terminology?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 02:10:04 AM
Seems unlikely. They denounced him, they just didn't want to use the word deplorable.

What matters is the headline. If you have to explain the details you've lost.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I think you are dreaming. Who is getting hammered right now is Clinton.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 02:11:59 AM

Same thing applies to her with regards to her health. It's the headline that matters, if you have to explain that it's just walking pneumonia, then you've already lost.

1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2016, 02:15:37 AM

Same thing applies to her with regards to her health. It's the headline that matters, if you explain that it's just walking pneumonia, then you've already lost.

So no one is going to win now?

Face it, it was silly to suggest that the Trump campaign is going to lose a lot of votes because Mike Pence didn't call  David Duke deplorable. Kkk isn't even in the headline and a campaign that has run playing to racists all along? This isn't going to be some sort of wake up call - oh my, myrtle, I had no idea!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 02:19:41 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2016, 02:15:37 AM

Same thing applies to her with regards to her health. It's the headline that matters, if you explain that it's just walking pneumonia, then you've already lost.

So no one is going to win now?

I mean they lost the news cycle.

As for the election as a whole, a 3 or 4 point Clinton win seems most likely at this point.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

The fact is, no matter what you think about Trump's supporters, Clinton's "deplorable" comment was a serious misstep, comparable to Romney's 47% comment. In fact, back in 2008, when Obama, in private, made a much more tame and less incendiary comment of a similar nature, Clinton (who was running against him in a primary) slammed him for his "elitism".

By the way, is it true that the deplorable comment was part of Clinton's scripted speech and not an off-hand remark? If so, who the hell is running her campaign and thought it would be a good idea?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2016, 02:26:07 AM
The fact is, no matter what you think about Trump's supporters, Clinton's "deplorable" comment was a serious misstep, comparable to Romney's 47% comment. In fact, back in 2008, when Obama, in private, made a much more tame and less incendiary comment of a similar nature, Clinton (who was running against him in a primary) slammed him for his "elitism".

By the way, is it true that the deplorable comment was part of Clinton's scripted speech and not an off-hand remark? If so, who the hell is running her campaign and thought it would be a good idea?

Presumably to bait Trump and co into doing what Mike Pence just did, refuse to call a Grand Wizard of the KKK deplorable.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2016, 02:33:48 AM

Presumably to bait Trump and co into doing what Mike Pence just did, refuse to call a Grand Wizard of the KKK deplorable.

Yes, sure.  :lol:

Martinus

garbon

I disagree. Republicans want to paint it as part with Romney's but it isn't. Politically unsavvy as it turns out, it does actually have the benefit of probably being close to the truth. It isn't large scale contempt for the electorate like the Romans moment - but deserving contempt for a small portion that love Trump's dogwhistling.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 02:56:24 AM

I disagree. Republicans want to paint it as part with Romney's but it isn't. Politically unsavvy as it turns out, it does actually have the benefit of probably being close to the truth. It isn't large scale contempt for the electorate like the Romans moment - but deserving contempt for a small portion that love Trump's dogwhistling.

And Romney's comment wasn't close to the truth? I think much more than this one, at least in terms of numbers.