News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Trump has closed his gap with Clinton a little. 

I am still horrified and bewildered that 40% of Americans want to vote for this candidate. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2016, 09:03:35 PM
Trump has closed his gap with Clinton a little. 

I am still horrified and bewildered that 40% of Americans want to vote for this candidate.

An orange lunatic or a horrid,  screeching  cunt? Hard choice.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2016, 08:07:03 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 01, 2016, 07:51:39 PM
I think the latest studies have actually shown that black people tend to be less likely than whites to get shot by the police when interacting with them.

And that overall, the number of blacks killed by the police is not actually out of line with their representations in crime statistics.

I am NOT someone who doesn't care about the police shooting people for apparently no damn reason - but I think the discussion could use a lot more data and lot less emotion.

I must have missed those studies. Do you have a link?

It's not inconceivable if one considers the possibilities that: (1) Bs may have more interactions per person with the police, and (2) due to the "talk" etc on average are more likely to be more careful in those interactions.  That could lead to less shootings per interaction but still a lot more shooting overall proportionately to population.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2016, 08:07:03 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 01, 2016, 07:51:39 PM
I think the latest studies have actually shown that black people tend to be less likely than whites to get shot by the police when interacting with them.

And that overall, the number of blacks killed by the police is not actually out of line with their representations in crime statistics.

I am NOT someone who doesn't care about the police shooting people for apparently no damn reason - but I think the discussion could use a lot more data and lot less emotion.

I must have missed those studies. Do you have a link?

http://www.nber.org/papers/w22399

Quote from: Abstract

An Empirical Analysis of Racial Differences in Police Use of Force
Roland G. Fryer, Jr

NBER Working Paper No. 22399
Issued in July 2016

This paper explores racial differences in police use of force. On non-lethal uses of force, blacks and Hispanics are more than fifty percent more likely to experience some form of force in interactions with police. Adding controls that account for important context and civilian behavior reduces, but cannot fully explain, these disparities. On the most extreme use of force – officer-involved shootings – we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account. We argue that the patterns in the data are consistent with a model in which police officers are utility maximizers, a fraction of which have a preference for discrimination, who incur relatively high expected costs of officer-involved shootings.
It is pretty fascinating reading, and doesn't have any obvious answers.

But it does seem from that particular study, that the odds of a black person being shot by the police on a per interaction basis is actually not any higher than a white person.

The odds of them having force applied short of lethal however, is much higher.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

So, I saw some guy on tv saying that the very term "illegal immigrant" is hate speech. Is this some sort of a lunatic fringe that just got through to mainstream media, or is this view shared by more people (or, heaven forbid, someone on this very board)?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2016, 11:33:04 PM
So, I saw some guy on tv saying that the very term "illegal immigrant" is hate speech. Is this some sort of a lunatic fringe that just got through to mainstream media, or is this view shared by more people (or, heaven forbid, someone on this very board)?

Don't think it's mainstream yet, but it's not an uncommon view on the left that the term is problematic.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 02, 2016, 12:17:32 AM

Don't think it's mainstream yet, but it's not an uncommon view on the left that the term is problematic.

Ok. :wacko:

Another proof that the left as it now exists should be binned and destroyed, with a hope that its atoms could be put to a better use.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2016, 05:39:23 PM
QuoteA Sheriff Who Called Black Lives Matter 'Black Slime' Is Speaking at the Republican Convention

Following the high-profile deaths of black men and women at the hands of law enforcement since Ferguson, Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke has criticized these victims of police brutality and the movement they've helped generate. He's referred to Black Lives Matter as "black slime" and "garbage," and he's called Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, and Trayvon Martin "goons," "criminal creep(s)," "criminals" and "co-conspirators in their own demise."

The frequent Fox News commentator, who is African American, will command a prime-time spot tonight at Donald Trump's Republican National Convention, where the evening's theme is "Make American Safe Again" after a two-week period when discussions about race and law enforcement have dominated the news following the fatal shootings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, and the killings of eight police officers in Dallas and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. On Twitter this week, news of his CNN interview and impending speech at the RNC was met with praise from many conservatives.

It doesn't make a difference to you that Sheriff David Clarke is himself black?

Also, speaking of your other examples, it is pretty disingenuous to equate criticism of Black Lives Matter with being anti-black. It is a rather despicable (or at least controversial) movement, and one may dislike it without being anti-black just as one may dislike the KKK without being anti-white.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 12:33:54 AM

Another proof that the left as it now exists should be binned and destroyed, with a hope that its atoms could be put to a better use.
The left is certainly not doing themselves any favors with euphemism treadmill.  It gives some credibility to the beliefs of the lunatics, when they really deserve none.  But your statement is still utterly idiotic.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2016, 01:17:38 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 12:33:54 AM

The left is certainly not doing themselves any favors with euphemism treadmill.  It gives some credibility to the beliefs of the lunatics, when they really deserve none.  But your statement is still utterly idiotic.

As someone who considers himself a liberal, I simply find the ideological corner than the "liberal left" has painted itself into in the last years to be unfixable. So, for the sake of liberal thought actually surviving and counting again for something, I'd rather see the current ideology that purports to represent it to be utterly destroyed, so something may start anew in its place.