News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

And I don't think Timmay was actually that wrong when he claimed Democrats do represent the modern conservative thought. Indeed, their ideology got so distorted that now they represent that sort of soft (or not-so-soft) paternalism that would limit people's liberties in the name of "social harmony". That kind of approach is the anathema to liberalism.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 01:26:50 AM
As someone who considers himself a liberal, I simply find the ideological corner than the "liberal left" has painted itself into in the last years to be unfixable. So, for the sake of liberal thought actually surviving and counting again for something, I'd rather see the current ideology that purports to represent it to be utterly destroyed, so something may start anew in its place.
What is the corner that it has painted itself into?  And why is it unfixable?

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2016, 01:30:18 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 01:26:50 AM
As someone who considers himself a liberal, I simply find the ideological corner than the "liberal left" has painted itself into in the last years to be unfixable. So, for the sake of liberal thought actually surviving and counting again for something, I'd rather see the current ideology that purports to represent it to be utterly destroyed, so something may start anew in its place.
What is the corner that it has painted itself into?  And why is it unfixable?

The corner of paternalism (or perhaps one should call it "maternalism"). Historically it was conservatives, not liberals, that would try to police thought and language through decency and blasphemy laws, ban books and speakers from libraries and universities, ruin lives of people who were not "right thinking" by having them lose their jobs or slandering them (or more recently, ban or restrict video games and comic books), ban the use of substances and behaviours deemed unhealthy etc. Now the left is doing that with abandon. And its unfixable because the movement has been taken over by people with an authoritarian mindset - that is the very opposite of what liberalism should be about.

garbon

I'll give a crocodile tear for the poor bigots.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

See? The leftist movement has to be destroyed and rebuilt anew, if people like garbon are in it at the moment.

garbon

Must be so nice to have enough money to want to cheer on people who hate you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2016, 02:23:05 AM

You mean like with you and Muslims?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 02:34:24 AM

I've yet to personally encounter a muslim who wants to see me punished. Well at least that they vocalized. Can't say the same for a lot of other groups.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2016, 02:37:26 AM

I've yet to personally encounter a muslim who wants to see me punished. Well at least that they vocalized. Can't say the same for a lot of other groups.

You are kidding, right?

Can you tell me a couple of examples of people you personally encountered who wanted to see you punished and vocalized it?

Martinus

I mean, I doubt that a lot of people who read Mark Twain's "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" or who attend speeches by Sam Harris, Ben Shapiro (or even Milo Yannopolouloulous or Ann Coulter) hate me. Which is not something I can say about people who read Qu'ran.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 02:39:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2016, 02:37:26 AM

You are kidding, right?

Can you tell me a couple of examples of people you personally encountered who wanted to see you punished and vocalized it?

Sure. On many occasions, Christians who have told me that I'm going to hell, deserve punishment for my sinful behavior. And then the drive by racial epithets but then those could have just been white people saying 'hey, what's up' rather than trying to be threatening.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 02:39:49 AM
I mean, I doubt that a lot of people who read Mark Twain's "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" or who attend speeches by Sam Harris, Ben Shapiro (or even Milo Yannopolouloulous or Ann Coulter) hate me. Which is not something I can say about people who read Qu'ran.

And you would be wrong there - a great many would. Of course, I guess you are also white so that moves you closer to the good column. :thumbsup:

Martinus

Oh and garbo, the fact that you likely haven't met personally a Muslim person who wants you punished is probably because you wouldn't be here if you did.

There is a difference between this:

and this:

garbon

Yes, I guess we could pretend that you and I live in the middle east. Of course, we don't.

Google tells me there are 1.6 billion muslims. I see 2 people on that roof.

garbon

Btw, do you want me to decry the killing of homosexuals? Okay sure. I absolutely hate and am heartbroken over the killing of homosexuals.