News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

I think that our foreign posters underestimate the degree to which the Republican party is divided on the issue of immigration (and probably make the same mistake about the Democrats).  Both of our major parties are pretty badly divided on the issue.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on September 01, 2016, 05:23:00 PM
I think that our foreign posters underestimate the degree to which the Republican party is divided on the issue of immigration (and probably make the same mistake about the Democrats).  Both of our major parties are pretty badly divided on the issue.

No, not really. 

Jacob

QuoteA Sheriff Who Called Black Lives Matter 'Black Slime' Is Speaking at the Republican Convention

Following the high-profile deaths of black men and women at the hands of law enforcement since Ferguson, Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke has criticized these victims of police brutality and the movement they've helped generate. He's referred to Black Lives Matter as "black slime" and "garbage," and he's called Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, and Trayvon Martin "goons," "criminal creep(s)," "criminals" and "co-conspirators in their own demise."

The frequent Fox News commentator, who is African American, will command a prime-time spot tonight at Donald Trump's Republican National Convention, where the evening's theme is "Make American Safe Again" after a two-week period when discussions about race and law enforcement have dominated the news following the fatal shootings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, and the killings of eight police officers in Dallas and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. On Twitter this week, news of his CNN interview and impending speech at the RNC was met with praise from many conservatives.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/07/meet-anti-black-lives-matter-sheriff-speaking-trumps-rnc

QuoteJeb Bush says Dems lure black voters with 'free stuff'

Jeb Bush told a South Carolina crowd Thursday that Democrats play to African-American voters by offering "free stuff," a similar comment to a contentious one that Mitt Romney made in the days after his 2012 loss to President Barack Obama.

Bush, analyzing Republicans' chances with black voters, said that his party needs to make a better case to the traditionally Democratic voting bloc.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/25/politics/jeb-bush-free-stuff-black-voters/

QuoteRepublicans ramp up attacks on Black Lives Matter

Top Republicans like presidential nominee Donald Trump and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani have blamed President Obama, for not doing more to stop the violence against police — even going so far as to say the Democratic president has encouraged such violence by inviting Black Lives Matters members to the White House to discuss long-simmering relations between African Americans and police.

As part of their high-profile pushback against Black Lives Matter, many delegates are sporting pins reading Blue Lives Matter. Giuliani has likened the protest group to the Black Panther revolutionary movement of the 1960s.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/us/article/Republicans-ramp-up-attacks-on-Black-Lives-Matter-8399015.php

QuoteMississippi legislator defends racially charged remarks: 'I didn't do anything wrong'

"I come from a town where all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call 'welfare crazy checks'," Alday told the Clarion-Ledger in an interview published on Sunday. "They don't work."

He went on to say that when he went to an emergency room for pain treatment, "I laid in there for hours because they (blacks) were in there being treated for gunshots."

Though to be fair, he goes on to say:
Quote"I'm not a racist. I'm not a bad person. I want to apologize to everyone to make it right. It's just a mess."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/17/mississippi-representative-gene-alday-blacks-food-stamps-welfare-crazy-checks

... so yeah, BB, I'd say there's anti-black rhetoric coming from the GOP fairly consistently.

CountDeMoney

Let's not forget the whole voter suppression thingy.  How many jellybeans, boy?

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2016, 05:50:46 PM

Yeah, the voter suppression and the response to black people getting shot by police with great frequency does come across as fairly anti-black as well.

Jacob

Oh, here's another nice one re: Trump and white nationalism:

Seems like he wants to return to a pre-1965 approach to immigration (where race was a significant factor in eligibility), and to "keep immigration levels measured by population share within historical norms."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-schmeltzer/trump-makes-white-nationa_b_11814808.html

... and white supremacists and neo-Nazis are applauding. So yeah, Trump is combining his anti-immigrant rhetoric with white supremacist messaging. Perhaps that explains why black people aren't flocking to his banner quite yet and immigration isn't the best wedge issue against the Democrats at this point.

Like garbon said, black people can be plenty concerned about immigration (as can Hispanic people who are citizens I expect, and many others) - but as long as Trump packages the anti-immigration rhetoric with white supremacy (which is fairly anti-black in my view), I don't think it'll be an effective wedge for peeling off non-white voters towards the GOP... and I do think it's a fairly effective wedge for peeling off non-white-supremacist white voters from the GOP.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, Teh Blacks have every reason to be concerned--as they have always been caught up in the anti-immigration wheat thresher.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2016, 06:00:23 PMLike garbon said, black people can be plenty concerned about immigration (as can Hispanic people who are citizens I expect, and many others) - but as long as Trump packages the anti-immigration rhetoric with white supremacy (which is fairly anti-black in my view), I don't think it'll be an effective wedge for peeling off non-white voters towards the GOP... and I do think it's a fairly effective wedge for peeling off non-white-supremacist white voters from the GOP.

the earlier discussion was never about whether such groups can feel concerned about immigration. of course they can. it was about whether it's a big issue for those groups.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2016, 05:53:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2016, 05:50:46 PM

Yeah, the voter suppression and the response to black people getting shot by police with great frequency does come across as fairly anti-black as well.

I think the latest studies have actually shown that black people tend to be less likely than whites to get shot by the police when interacting with them.

And that overall, the number of blacks killed by the police is not actually out of line with their representations in crime statistics.

I am NOT someone who doesn't care about the police shooting people for apparently no damn reason - but I think the discussion could use a lot more data and lot less emotion.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

So the crazies have taken over the GOP. Lock, stock, and barrel.

The party is dead, for all intents and purposes, as a functioning political and governing entity.

The thing is, from the standpoint of actually governing or executing on some kind of substantative policy platforms, they haven't really done that in years. They elected these Tea Party guys who made a clear and conscious decision NOT to govern anymore, and become a party of pure obstructionism.

Is Trump the result of that? Is that what happens when you just decide to stop actually governing - the real crazies come out, the fringe of the fringe? And it isn't just Trump - the second place guy was a Tea Party whackanoodle fundy crazy nutjob.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on September 01, 2016, 07:51:39 PM
I think the latest studies have actually shown that black people tend to be less likely than whites to get shot by the police when interacting with them.

And that overall, the number of blacks killed by the police is not actually out of line with their representations in crime statistics.

I am NOT someone who doesn't care about the police shooting people for apparently no damn reason - but I think the discussion could use a lot more data and lot less emotion.

I must have missed those studies. Do you have a link?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive