News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Which do you think would be more likely to completely destroy the US economy, making US debt holders take a haircut or a 45% import tariff?

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on May 06, 2016, 07:25:36 PM
Which do you think would be more likely to completely destroy the US economy, making US debt holders take a haircut or a 45% import tariff?

Tariffs can be reversed.  The effects of default stay with you for decades.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

celedhring

Isn't most of US debt still held domestically, too? Looks like he likes loading hollow points when shooting himself in the foot.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2016, 05:55:34 PM
Meanwhile Trump has a plan for dealing with the national debt and kickstarting the economy:

QuoteSpeaking on CNBC, Trump said he embraces the idea of taking on debt, given that borrowers can try to tweak the terms later on. Indeed, as a businessman Trump has used the bankruptcy laws on several occasions to reduce his companies' debts.

"I am the king of debt. I do love debt. I love debt. I love playing with it." Trump said.

"Do you believe that we, in terms of the United States need to pay a hundred cents on the dollar, or do you think that there's actually ways that we can renegotiate that debt?" CNBC's Andrew Ross Sorkin asked him.

"Yeah, I think -- look, I have borrowed, knowing that you can pay back with discounts. And I have done very well," Trump said. "I would borrow, knowing that if the economy crashed, you could make a deal, and if the economy was good, it was good, so, therefore, you can't

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/05/06/king-of-debt-donald-trump-says-he-knows-how-the-u-s-might-get-out-of-paying-it-all%E2%80%8B-back/

This is insane.  US government debt is widely considered the safest bonds possible.  That reputation is invaluable as it allows the US to borrow huge amounts of money at low interest.  This is a fantastic asset for the US, one that generations of Americans have enjoyed, and this man wants to destroy it? 

Ed Anger

Thinking of increasing my food and TPR reserves.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: Monoriu on May 06, 2016, 08:07:19 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2016, 05:55:34 PM
Meanwhile Trump has a plan for dealing with the national debt and kickstarting the economy:

QuoteSpeaking on CNBC, Trump said he embraces the idea of taking on debt, given that borrowers can try to tweak the terms later on. Indeed, as a businessman Trump has used the bankruptcy laws on several occasions to reduce his companies' debts.

"I am the king of debt. I do love debt. I love debt. I love playing with it." Trump said.

"Do you believe that we, in terms of the United States need to pay a hundred cents on the dollar, or do you think that there's actually ways that we can renegotiate that debt?" CNBC's Andrew Ross Sorkin asked him.

"Yeah, I think -- look, I have borrowed, knowing that you can pay back with discounts. And I have done very well," Trump said. "I would borrow, knowing that if the economy crashed, you could make a deal, and if the economy was good, it was good, so, therefore, you can't

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/05/06/king-of-debt-donald-trump-says-he-knows-how-the-u-s-might-get-out-of-paying-it-all%E2%80%8B-back/

This is insane.  US government debt is widely considered the safest bonds possible.  That reputation is invaluable as it allows the US to borrow huge amounts of money at low interest.  This is a fantastic asset for the US, one that generations of Americans have enjoyed, and this man wants to destroy it?

It is not that he wants to destroy it, he just has no fucking clue what he is talking about.  He thinks running a federal government is the same as running a business (which he isn't exactly good at btw).

Admiral Yi

My concern is that anyone who already understands why this would be a terrible idea is probably already a kind and sensitive person.

sbr

Tonitrus

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2016, 11:06:40 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2016, 11:01:08 AM
To me Trump seems pretty centrist. He is definitely more centrist than Cruz.

Meowtf?

In what way is cancelling trade deals, deporting all illegal immigrants immediately, building a giant wall with Mexico, and banning Muslims from entering the US, centrist positions?

He has a mix of far right and far left policies that average out to the middle. Cruz only has far right policies. :P
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

I once thought that it would be kinda fun to have Donald Trump in the election, but this is no longer funny.  It is scary.  He doesn't seem to care about the consequences of his actions.  He isn't an average Joe; he is the presumptive Republican nominee.  He has a real shot at it, yet he is spewing irresponsible ideas that are beyond the pale.  The possibility of tiny Greece defaulting is bad enough; the US defaulting would be the end of the financial system as we know it. 

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017