Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on August 22, 2015, 11:36:54 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2015, 11:27:13 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 22, 2015, 05:59:59 PM
Jeb looks like someone who'd rather be doing something other than running for president.
Isn't that the sane reaction?  Who the hell would want to run for president in the modern media environment?
Maybe it's a normal reaction, but we're looking for 1 person out of 300,000,000+, so normal isn't going to cut it.
The only person who seems to be enjoying himself is Trump, which tells you how fucked up the process is.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Ugh, the anchor baby outrage.  If there is one thing that I absolutely can't stand about the left, it's the euphemism treadmill and all the related phenomena.  Anchor babies will exist regardless you decree the term to be acceptable or not.  This is a very insidious attempt to cut off the discussion by declaring the language needed to have the discussion offensive.

Kleves

I'm pretty convinced that Trump is running a campaign designed to appeal to the dumbest Americans in order to smooth Hillary's path to the presidency. Am I wrong?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on August 25, 2015, 12:19:56 AM
Ugh, the anchor baby outrage.  If there is one thing that I absolutely can't stand about the left, it's the euphemism treadmill and all the related phenomena.  Anchor babies will exist regardless you decree the term to be acceptable or not.  This is a very insidious attempt to cut off the discussion by declaring the language needed to have the discussion offensive.

I was under the impression that the anchor baby thing is just a myth? In the sense that it makes no difference for the parents' immediate legal status, and it's a very long term "investment" in the very best of cases.

Monoriu

Quote from: Kleves on August 25, 2015, 08:50:22 AM
I'm pretty convinced that Trump is running a campaign designed to appeal to the dumbest Americans in order to smooth Hillary's path to the presidency. Am I wrong?

Americans are smart  :mad:

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 25, 2015, 08:56:55 AM

Americans are smart  :mad:

S-M-R-T
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

I think he just likes the attention. Also, I doubt he's making it easier on Hillary, since he's making the eventual GOP winner look rational by comparison.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

DGuller

Quote from: celedhring on August 25, 2015, 08:56:01 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 25, 2015, 12:19:56 AM

I was under the impression that the anchor baby thing is just a myth? In the sense that it makes no difference for the parents' immediate legal status, and it's a very long term "investment" in the very best of cases.
Myth or no myth, the term clearly articulates the situation, and to my knowledge there is no effective alternative term.  If anchor baby term is off-limits, then the discussion of the anchor baby situation, whether real or imagined, is off-limits as well.

garbon

If it is a myth then it is a term that clearly articulates a non-existent situation. I don't know why anyone would want to concede air time to debating about a situation that doesn't occur (or if it does, not in any occurrences enough to be meaningful to discuss).  I think it is narrative ploy by Republicans and Democrats are correct in refusing to play with it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2015, 05:37:42 PM
If it is a myth then it is a term that clearly articulates a non-existent situation. I don't know why anyone would want to concede air time to debating about a situation that doesn't occur (or if it does, not in any occurrences enough to be meaningful to discuss).  I think it is narrative ploy by Republicans and Democrats are correct in refusing to play with it.
You don't combat myths with censorship.  Quite the opposite, in fact.

garbon

Is it censorship if you refuse to engage in a conversation? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Second poll showing Sanders beating Clinton by 7 points in New Hampshire.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/nh/new_hampshire_democratic_presidential_primary-3351.html

Biden should join the race and seek a win in Iowa.

DGuller

Admiral Yi