News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2015, 10:33:16 AM
Where are all the Democratic Governors? They never seem to run anymore.

You want McAuliffe running?  :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 18, 2015, 10:20:57 AM
Seriously, can Democrats find anyone who's not a Clinton, 98 years old, or a protest candidate?  Are they sure they turned over every dumpster in DC?  I will obviously still vote for the candidate from the party that has not completely lost its mooring in reality, but Jesus, what the fuck is wrong with our political culture that this is the kind of non-choice rational people face?

What is wrong with O'Malley?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on August 18, 2015, 11:31:39 AM

He's been stepping on his own crank a bit.  People in Maryland don't even like him.

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2015, 11:26:27 AM
No, but he happens to be one of them.

I think you begin to see the problem with your question to Valmy, then.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

He was the first one that came to mind.  Chillax.

derspiess

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2015, 11:38:33 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 18, 2015, 11:31:39 AM

He's been stepping on his own crank a bit.  People in Maryland don't even like him.

I assumed as a former governor he'd have more going for him but he seems a real lightweight or something. And I think he needs to get out of Maryland before they run him out on a rail.   ;)

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on August 18, 2015, 10:20:57 AM
Seriously, can Democrats find anyone who's not a Clinton, 98 years old, or a protest candidate?  Are they sure they turned over every dumpster in DC?  I will obviously still vote for the candidate from the party that has not completely lost its mooring in reality, but Jesus, what the fuck is wrong with our political culture that this is the kind of non-choice rational people face?

What about someone like Kasich?

Let's pretend you are not thinking about the meta-implications of a Republican win (which, btw, I consider rather important - I think the Dems need to win for no other reason than to make everyone think that spending 8 years not governing is bad politics, in addition to bad governance), but rather simply who you think would actually be the best President.

Is there any room for a very, very moderate Republican - if we assume (probably a bad assumption) that such a creature could actually get the nomination?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on August 18, 2015, 07:07:21 PM
What about someone like Kasich?
Kasich, from what limited stuff I've seen of him so far, looks like a very reasonable human being and a practical pragmatic politician.
Let's pretend you are not thinking about the meta-implications of a Republican win (which, btw, I consider rather important - I think the Dems need to win for no other reason than to make everyone think that spending 8 years not governing is bad politics, in addition to bad governance), but rather simply who you think would actually be the best President.
Alas, that is a hypothetical that is 100% hypothetical in 2015.  Just like a president can't divorce himself from the party, you can't divorce your choice of a president from his party.  Maybe if you lean 60% one party and 40% the other party (and I do mean parties and not merely ideologies claimed to be represented by parties), the quality of the person as a candidate may sway your decision.  But this isn't even close to the situation today.

Berkut

So the very worst possible Dem still gets your vote over any best possible Republican. Huh.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on August 18, 2015, 08:46:15 PM
So the very worst possible Dem still gets your vote over any best possible Republican. Huh.
In 2015, pretty much, within realistic constraints.  Obviously if Adolf Hitler wins the primary, I may have to reassess my position. 

The reason is very simple:  the president's actions and non-actions are much more of a function of his party than they are of his personal qualities and convictions, and the best possible Republican's party should be kept as far away from power as possible.