News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2015, 08:50:38 AM
Yeah, I mean it all seems very bizarre. Still unless this story has legs that carry it into Spring, I doubt most swing voters will be caring/remembering it.

So you're saying Hillary's campaign is pushing it now hoping people will forget all about it by the time of the primaries.  I guess that could work.  Or maybe people could say "enough" and emailgate was the last straw. 

I don't think she is or will be wounded enough to lose the nomination, but you look at her polling among independents and wonder if her numbers will ever get back to where they used to be.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Well yeah that's what I'm wondering if that's what they are doing - as otherwise it seems like complete mismanagement.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

It's a gamble either way.  You'd think that she has some of the best possible strategists working for her.  But with the way she has handled things with her statements, jokes, etc. I have to wonder how competent they are.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/08/jeb-bush-crypto-makes-it-harder-for-the-american-government-to-do-its-job/

QuoteJeb Bush wants "a new arrangement with Silicon Valley" to ease crypto

Jeb Bush, one of the leading Republican presidential candidates, told a national security forum that Washington, DC needs a stronger link to Silicon Valley.

"There's a place to find common ground between personal civil liberties and NSA doing its job," Bush said Tuesday, according to the Associated Press. "I think the balance has actually gone the wrong way."

The former Florida governor's statement puts him not only at odds with rival Republican candidates like Rand Paul, but also against a number of government committees and federal judges.

"If you create encryption, it makes it harder for the American government to do its job—while protecting civil liberties—to make sure that evildoers aren't in our midst," Bush said in South Carolina at an event sponsored by Americans for Peace, Prosperity, and Security, according to The Intercept.

Bush claimed that there was "no evidence" that the bulk collection by the National Security Agency violated civil liberties, despite the fact that the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board and others have done just that.

He concluded by saying that there needs to be a "a new arrangement with Silicon Valley in this regard" without providing any salient details.

So far, Bush has not proved himself to be particularly technologically adept during the presidential campaign. Earlier this year in an attempt to be more transparent, the brother of President George W. Bush published six Outlook files full of all of his unredacted correspondence. In the process, Jeb Bush created a trove of full names connected with personal e-mail addresses, home addresses, phone numbers, and even social security numbers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Eddie Teach

I don't think we can declare them a safe Democratic constituency on the basis of one election cycle.

Granted, it'll be a lot tougher for Trump to carry them than, say, Marco Rubio.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Syt on August 20, 2015, 12:23:02 PM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/08/jeb-bush-crypto-makes-it-harder-for-the-american-government-to-do-its-job/

QuoteJeb Bush wants "a new arrangement with Silicon Valley" to ease crypto

Jeb Bush, one of the leading Republican presidential candidates, told a national security forum that Washington, DC needs a stronger link to Silicon Valley.

"There's a place to find common ground between personal civil liberties and NSA doing its job," Bush said Tuesday, according to the Associated Press. "I think the balance has actually gone the wrong way."

The former Florida governor's statement puts him not only at odds with rival Republican candidates like Rand Paul, but also against a number of government committees and federal judges.

"If you create encryption, it makes it harder for the American government to do its job—while protecting civil liberties—to make sure that evildoers aren't in our midst," Bush said in South Carolina at an event sponsored by Americans for Peace, Prosperity, and Security, according to The Intercept.

Bush claimed that there was "no evidence" that the bulk collection by the National Security Agency violated civil liberties, despite the fact that the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board and others have done just that.

He concluded by saying that there needs to be a "a new arrangement with Silicon Valley in this regard" without providing any salient details.

So far, Bush has not proved himself to be particularly technologically adept during the presidential campaign. Earlier this year in an attempt to be more transparent, the brother of President George W. Bush published six Outlook files full of all of his unredacted correspondence. In the process, Jeb Bush created a trove of full names connected with personal e-mail addresses, home addresses, phone numbers, and even social security numbers.

Every time Jeb talks, he looks more and more like his neocon-dominated brother. Given his circle of advisers, I suppose that's not surprising, but you'd think he and his team would realize that "George W. Bush, round 2" is not a winning strategy.

I used to think he had the best shot at the nomination, but given his performance and polling, I think he'll most likely lose out to Rubio or (ugh) Walker.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

Jeb looks like someone who'd rather be doing something other than running for president.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on August 22, 2015, 05:59:59 PM
Jeb looks like someone who'd rather be doing something other than running for president.
Isn't that the sane reaction?  Who the hell would want to run for president in the modern media environment?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2015, 11:27:13 PM
Isn't that the sane reaction?  Who the hell would want to run for president in the modern media environment?
Jeb is being compared to Ted Kennedy.

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2015, 11:27:13 PM
Maybe it's a normal reaction, but we're looking for 1 person out of 300,000,000+, so normal isn't going to cut it.