2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Silver's point about the LA Times / USC poll was that they use both some pretty good traditional methodologies, but also some stuff that isn't as common in other polls, and some of that stuff might be a better way of doing things. In theory, but in practice the fact it has consistently been such an outlier means: all other polling firms are suffering significant polling error because their methodologies don't accurately capture the electorate, the LA Times / USC poll's novel techniques like having respondents talk about the probability that they will vote for x person on a numeric scale, and having a fixed 3000 member panel, may simply be "off."

Silver did say that it can still be useful, because it's been consistently off by about the same amount versus broad polling every time it releases numbers. So it could just be as simple as the 3,000 person panel they built, despite their best efforts, was more pro-Trump than the public at large, but the "baseline" and the fluctuations would still offer valuable data.

Silver basically says that it's not good to try and lambaste pollsters for trying new methodologies, especially if it produces some form of useful, consistent data (which this poll does), and that it's also good to avoid "herding", which is a common polling industry practice where polling firms will intentionally change methodologies mid-election to get results closer to the "norm." They do this so their polling team seems "more accurate", but it can also lead to dangerous types of "groupthink" that could contribute to "broad polling failure" if for some reason the norm was "wrong", and then all the outliers change their methodologies to gravitate to the norm, you'd suddenly have a high aggregate probability number for x result that might be wildly wrong.

Syt

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/the-155-craziest-things-trump-said-this-cycle-214420?cmpid=sf

QuoteIt all started on June 16, 2015, when he announced he'd run for president of the United States. "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best," Donald Trump told the crowd gathered at his New York headquarters to hear the mogul's first campaign speech. "They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people." Rapists? The savviest political types around all seemed to agree: This can't possibly go anywhere.

But in the 508 days since, Trump has demolished everything we thought we knew about modern politicians and their filters, waging a campaign more successful than most everyone predicted with baffling declarations, shocking insults and wild hyperbole. In July, he said of Senator John McCain: "He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured, OK?"; in November, he said he knew "more about ISIS than the generals"; just last month, he said "nasty" Hillary Clinton would be "in jail" if he were president. He introduced the word "schlonged" to campaign coverage, discovered an inexhaustible mine of exclamation points in late-night Twitter rampages, pronounced with certainty, "I alone can fix it"—and coined a style so distinctive that "Trumpism" has come to define an entirely new genre of American political speak. Here, for your perusal—gathered from Twitter, rallies, interviews and more—is a (highly subjective) list of 155 of Trump's most controversial, most eyebrow raising, most mystifying, even amusing "Trumpisms" this cycle.

1. "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. ... They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people." (Campaign launch speech, New York City, June 16, 2015)
2. "I will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created. I tell you that." (Campaign launch speech, June 16, 2015)
3. "I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I'll build them very inexpensively, I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall." (Campaign launch speech, June 16, 2015)
4. "And we won't be using a man like Secretary Kerry ... who's just being tapped along as they make weapons right now, and then goes into a bicycle race at 72 years old, and falls and breaks his leg. I won't be doing that. And I promise I will never be in a bicycle race. That I can tell you." (Campaign launch speech, June 16, 2015)
5. "I don't have a racist bone in my body." ("Entertainment Tonight," July 1, 2015)
6. "Jeb Bush has to like the Mexican Illegals because of his wife." (Retweeted and then deleted on Twitter, July 4, 2015)
7. "Do you know that Hillary Clinton was a birther? She wanted those records and fought like hell. People forgot. Did you know John McCain was a birther?" (in an interview with CNN, July 9, 2015.)
8. "The truth is we wouldn't be talking about illegal immigration if it weren't for me." (on Sean Hannity's show, July 15, 2015)
9. "I'm talking about Mexico is forcing people in that they don't want, and they want us to take care of those people." (on Sean Hannity's show, July 15, 2015)
10. "And I had an idea recently. When they send illegals into our country, we charge Mexico $100,000 for every illegal that crosses that border because it's trouble." (On Sean Hannity's show, July 15, 2015)
11. "He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured, OK?" (Donald Trump on Senator John McCain at the Family Leadership Summit in Ames, Iowa, on July 17, 2015)
12. "202-228-0292" (Lindsay Graham's cell number, which he divulged to hundreds of crowd members and thousands of viewers at a rally in South Carolina on July 21, 2015)
13. "I think I'd get along very well with Vladimir Putin. I just think so. People say, 'What do you mean?' I think I would get along well with him." (Donald Trump Interview on July 30, 2015, in Glasgow, Scotland)
14. "You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever." (Donald Trump in a CNN interview about Megyn Kelly, one of Fox News' moderators in the first Republican debate, on August 7, 2015.)
15. "I cherish women. I want to help women. I'm going to be able to do things for women that no other candidate would be able to do." (CNN, August 9, 2015)
16. "I'm leading in the Hispanic vote, and I'm going to win the Hispanic vote. I'm also leading in the regular vote." (Birch Run, Michigan, August 11, 2015)
17. "When these people walk in the room, they don't say, 'Oh, hello! How's the weather? It's so beautiful outside. Isn't it lovely? How are the Yankees doing? Oh they're doing wonderful. Great.' They say, 'We want deal!'" (Trump discussing Asians at an August 2015 rally in Iowa)
18. "Heidi Klum. Sadly, she's no longer a 10." (Trump interview in the New York Times on August 15, 2015)
19. "Well I really watch the shows. You really see a lot of great, you know, when you watch your show and all of the other shows, and you have the generals and you have certain people that you like." (Donald Trump during an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," on August 16, 2015, trying to name his foreign policy advisors)
20. "I have a plan, but ... If I win, I don't want to broadcast to the enemy exactly what my plan is." (NBC's commander-in-chief forum, Sept. 7, 2016)
21. "Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?!" (Donald Trump during a Rolling Stone interview on September 9, 2015, talking about GOP candidate Carly Fiorina)
22. "I never attacked him on his looks and believe me, there's a lot of subject matter there." (Referring to Senator Rand Paul, GOP primary debate, September 16, 2015)
23. "I have a great temperament. My temperament is very good, very calm." (Debate. September 16, 2015.)
24. "Everything I've done virtually has been a tremendous success." (Debate. September 16, 2015.)
25. "Marco Rubio, I've never seen anybody sweat like that." (Fox and Friends interview. September 18, 2015.)
26. "I'm looking at guys like Marco Rubio who has the worst voting record in the United States Senate. Young guy although he sweats more than any young person I've seen in my life. I've never seen a person sweat — I have never seen a guy down water like he downs water. They bring it in in buckets for this guy." (Morning Joe interview. September 24, 2015)
27. "I believe in clean air. Immaculate air. ... But I don't believe in climate change." (CNN TV Interview, September 24, 2015)
28. "Did you ever see a migration like that? They're all men, and they're all strong-looking guys ... . And I'm saying to myself: Why aren't they fighting to save Syria? Why are they migrating all over Europe? Seriously." (On Syrian refugees in Keene, N.H. September 30, 2015)
29. "It's really cold outside, they are calling it a major freeze, weeks ahead of normal. Man, we could use a big fat dose of global warming!" (Twitter, October 19, 2015)
30. "I've done it four times out of hundreds, and I'm glad I did it. I used the laws of the country to my benefit. I'm sorry." (On his bankruptcies. GOP debate, October 28, 2015)
31. "I know more about ISIS than the generals do. Believe me." (Rally in Fort Dodge, Iowa, November 12, 2015)
32. "How stupid are the people of Iowa? How stupid are the people of the country to believe this crap?" (Rally in Fort Dodge, Iowa, November 12, 2015)
33. "It's in the book that he's got a pathological temper. That's a big problem because you don't cure that ... as an example: child molesting. You don't cure these people. You don't cure a child molester. There's no cure for it. Pathological, there's no cure for that." (Speaking about Ben Carson during an interview on CNN, November 12, 2015)
34. "When he said he stabbed somebody with a knife but it hit a belt buckle—I know all about knives and belt buckles." (Interview on CNN speaking about Ben Carson's memoir, in which Carson recalls attempting to stab someone as a young man, November 12, 2015)
35. "I watched when the World Trade Center came tumbling down. And I watched in Jersey City, N.J., where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as that building was coming down. Thousands of people were cheering." (Referring to Muslims celebrating on 9/11 at a rally in Birmingham, Alabama, Nov. 21, 2015)
36. "Obama said in his speech that Muslims are our sports heroes. What sport is he talking about, and who? Is Obama profiling?" (Twitter, December 7, 2015)
37. "Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on." (Rally in South Carolina, December 7, 2015)
38. "He's running his country and at least he's a leader. You know, unlike what we have in this country." (On Vladimir Putin, interview with MSNBC, December 18, 2015)
39. "I know where she went, it's disgusting, I don't want to talk about it. No, it's too disgusting." (Referencing Hillary Clinton being late to a Democratic primary debate stage after the commercial break, rally in Michigan, December 21, 2015)
40. "Even a race to Obama, she was gonna beat Obama. I don't know who would be worse, I don't know, how could it be worse? But she was going to beat—she was favored to win—and she got schlonged." (On Hillary Clinton, rally in Michigan, December 21, 2015)
41. "Does everyone see that the Democrats and President Obama are now, because of me, starting to deport people who are here illegally. Politics!" (Twitter, December 25, 2015)
42. "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters." (Rally in Iowa, January 23, 2016)
43. "I refuse to call Megyn Kelly a bimbo, because that would not be politically correct. Instead I will only call her a lightweight reporter!" (Twitter, January 27, 2016)
44. "If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of 'em, would you? Seriously. OK? Just knock the hell—I promise you, I will pay for the legal fees. I promise. I promise." (Referring to protesters, rally in Iowa, February 1, 2016)
45. "I would bring back waterboarding. And I'd bring back a hell of a lot worse than waterboarding." (Republican primary debate in New Hampshire, February 6, 2016)
46. "Wow, Jeb Bush, whose campaign is a total disaster, had to bring in mommy to take a slap at me. Not nice!" (Twitter, February 6, 2016)
47. "Don't believe those phony numbers when you hear 4.9 and 5 percent unemployment. The number's probably 28, 29, as high as 35. In fact, I even heard recently 42 percent." (New Hampshire primary victory speech, February 9, 2016)
48. "[Putin] called me a genius, I like him so far, I have to tell you." (Republican primary debate in South Carolina, February 13, 2016)
49. "I'm the only one on this stage that said, 'Do not go into Iraq. Do not attack Iraq.' Nobody else on this stage said that. And I said it loud and strong." (Republican primary debate in South Carolina, February 13, 2016)
50. "She should be running." (Referring to Jeb Bush's mother, Republican primary debate in South Carolina, February 13, 2016)
51. "Don't tell me it doesn't work—torture works. Half these guys [say]: 'Torture doesn't work.' Believe me, it works." (Campaign event at a South Carolina retirement community, February 17, 2016)
52. "If and when the Vatican is attacked by ISIS, which as everyone knows is ISIS's ultimate trophy, I can promise you that the Pope would have only wished and prayed that Donald Trump would have been President because this would not have happened." ("Response to the Pope," Facebook, February 18, 2016)
53. "I wonder if President Obama would have attended the funeral of Justice Scalia if it were held in a Mosque? Very sad that he did not go!" (Twitter, February 20, 2016)
54. "Well just so you understand, I don't know anything about David Duke, OK? I don't know anything about what you're even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. So, I don't know. I don't know, did he endorse me, or what's going on? Because, you know, I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists. And so you're asking me a question that I'm supposed to be talking about people that I know nothing about." (Interview with Jake Tapper on CNN, February 28, 2016)
55. "Part of the problem and part of the reason it takes so long [to kick out protesters] is nobody wants to hurt each other anymore." (Speaking at a rally in St. Louis, Missouri, March 11, 2016)
56. "I'm speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I've said a lot of things." (Asked on Morning Joe who his foreign policy consultants are, March 16, 2016)
57. "We're totally predictable. And predictable is bad. Sitting at a meeting like this and explaining my views and if I do become president, I have these views that are down for the other side to look at, you know. I hate being so open." (Interview with Washington Post editorial board, March 21, 2016)
58. "@Don_Vito_08: "A picture is worth a thousand words" @realDonaldTrump #LyingTed #NeverCruz @MELANIATRUMP" (Twitter, March 23, 2016, includes retweeted image of the unflattering picture of Heidi Cruz)
59. "The answer is that there has to be some form of punishment." (About whether women should be punished for having abortions if the procedure becomes illegal during an interview by MSNBC's Chris Matthews at a town hall in Green Bay, Wisconsin on March 30, 2016; he later put out a statement that reversed this position)
60. "Europe is a big place, I'm not going to take cards off the table." (About using nuclear weapons in Europe on "The O'Reilly Factor," March 31, 2016)
61. "After I beat them, I'm going to be so presidential, you're going to be so bored, you're going to say, this is the most boring human being I've ever interviewed." (Interview on "Fox News Sunday" April 3, 2016)
62. "Which is true, actually, I actually have low blood pressure, can you believe it? Can you believe it? I have like 100 over something. The doctor said, 'Man you have the blood pressure of a great, great, athlete who is 20 years old. 110, I like that, because I like being a great athlete." (Rally in Waterbury, Connecticut, April 23, 2016)
63. "Lock your doors folks, OK? Lock your doors. No, it's a big problem ... . We have our incompetent government people letting 'em in by the thousands, and who knows, who knows, maybe it's ISIS." (Rally in Warwick, Rhode Island April 25, 2016)
64. "[Kasich] is just a guy who is a stubborn guy who eats like a slob." (Rally in West Chester, Pennsylvania, April 25, 2016)
65. "Do I look a president? How handsome am I, right? How handsome?" (Rally in West Chester, Pennsylvania, April 25, 2016)
66. "We can't continue to allow China to rape our country, and that's what they're doing." (Rally in Fort Wayne, Indiana, May 1, 2016)
67. "I think the only card she has is the woman's card. She's got nothing else going." (About Hillary Clinton, during an interview with Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday, May, 1, 2016)
68. "His father was with Lee Harvey Oswald prior to Oswald's being—you know, shot. I mean, the whole thing is ridiculous." (Speaking about Ted Cruz and his father Rafael on Fox News, May 3, 2016)
69. "Happy #CincoDeMayo! The best taco bowls are made in Trump Tower Grill. I love Hispanics!" (Twitter, May 5, 2016)
70. "I have borrowed, knowing that you can pay back with discounts... . Now, we're in a different situation with the country. But I would borrow, knowing that if the economy crashed, you could make a deal. And if the economy was good, it was good. So, therefore, you can't lose." (CNBC, May 6, 2016)
71. "First of all, you never have to default because you print the money, I hate to tell you, OK? So there's never a default." (CNN, May 9, 2016)
72. "I'm the king of debt. I understand debt than probably anybody. I know how to deal with debt, so well. I love debt." (CNN, May 9, 2016)
73. "You mean Pocahontas?" (Interview with Maureen Dowd, referring to Elizabeth Warren, May 15, 2016)
74. The pathetic new hit ad against me misrepresents the final line. "You can tell them to go BLANK themselves" - was about China, NOT WOMEN! (Twitter, May 17, 2016)
75. "I would speak to him, I would have no problem speaking to him," (Interview with Reuters speaking about Kim Jong Un, May 18, 2016)
76. "I will give you everything. ... I'm the only one." (Campaign rally in North Dakota, May 26, 2016)
77. "There is no drought." (Rally in Fresno, California, May 27, 2016)
78. "I don't talk about his alcoholism, so why would he talk about my foolishly perceived fascism?" (New York Times, May 28, 2016, about Libertarian vice-presidential nominee Bill Weld)
79. "I thought this would be like Dr. Martin Luther King, where the people would be lined up from here all the way to the Washington Monument." (Bikers for Trump tally at Lincoln Memorial, Washington D.C., May 29, 2016)
80. "You're a sleaze." (Press Conference to ABC reporter, May 31, 2016)
81. "Look at my African-American here!" (Rally in California, June 3, 2016)
82. "Many of the thugs that attacked the peaceful Trump supporters in San Jose were illegals. They burned the American flag and laughed at police." (Twitter, June 4, 2016)
83. "He is a member of a club or society, very strongly pro-Mexican, which is all fine. But I say he's got bias. ... This judge has treated me very unfairly; he's treated me in a hostile manner. And there's something going on." (Face the Nation on Judge Curiel, June 5, 2016)
84. "I was the one that really broke the glass ceiling on behalf of women more than anybody in the construction industry, and my relationship, I think, is going to end up being very good with women." (Interview with Bill O'Reilly, June 6, 2016)
85. "It's all because of me," (Bloomberg interview, regarding NATO decision to create new intelligence post, June 8, 2016)
86. "And by the way, just so you know, I am the least racist person, the least racist person that you've ever seen, the least." (Rally in Richmond, Virginia, June 10, 2016)
87. "Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism, I don't want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!" (Twitter, June 12, 2016, after the Pulse nightclub massacre in Orlando.)
88. "They're trying to take over our children. ...They're pouring in and we don't know what we're doing." (Speech at Saint Anselm College, New Hampshire, on refugees suspected of being terrorists, June 13, 2016)
89. "Based on the incredibly inaccurate coverage and reporting of the record setting Trump campaign, we are hereby revoking the press credentials of the phony and dishonest Washington Post." (Facebook post, June 13, 2016)
90. "I feel like a supermodel except, like, times 10, OK? It's true. I'm a supermodel." (Rally in Arizona, June 18, 2016)
91. "I think profiling is something that we're going to have to start thinking about as a country." (Interview on CBS, June 19, 2016)
92. "I don't think anybody should listen to me because I haven't really focused on it very much." (Interview on Fox Business regarding Brexit, June 22, 2016)
93. "Just arrived in Scotland. People are going wild over the vote. They took their country back. Just like we'll take our country back. No games." (Twitter, June 24, 2016, after Scotland voted 68-32 to remain in European Union.)
94. "When the pound goes down, more people are coming to Turnberry, frankly." (Press conference at his golf course in Scotland, June 24, 2016)
95. "[The Trans-Pacific Partnership] is done and pushed by special interests who want to rape our country. That's what it is, too. It's a harsh word. It's a rape of our country." (Rally in Ohio, June 28, 2016)
96. "That could be a Mexican plane up there. They're getting ready to attack," (Rally in New Hampshire, June 30, 2016)
97. "Most corrupt candidate ever!" (Twitter with picture of Hillary Clinton with six-pointed star over $100 bills, soon deleted, July 2, 2016)
98. "Where is the outrage for this Disney book? Is this the 'Star of David' also?
Dishonest media! #Frozen" (Twitter with attached photo of Disney Sticker book, July 6, 2016)
99. "One of the reasons is party unity, I have to be honest." (Introducing running mate Mike Pence, in New York, July 16, 2016)
100. "Good news is Melania's speech got more publicity than any in the history of politics especially if you believe that all press is good press!" (Twitter, July 20, 2016)
101. "I alone can fix it." (Republican National Convention, July 21, 2016)
102. "Crazy Bernie is going crazy right now, OK?" (Speech in North Carolina during the opening day of the Democratic National Convention, July 25, 2016)
103. "Pocahontas bombed last night! Sad to watch" (Twitter, July 26, 2016)
104. "Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press." (Press conference in Florida, July 27, 2016)
105. "If you look at his wife, she was standing there, she had nothing to say. Probably maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say, you tell me, but plenty of people have written that. She was extremely quiet and it looked like she had nothing to say." (Interview with ABC about Ghazala Khan, July 30, 2016)
106. "He's not going into Ukraine, OK, just so you understand. He's not going to go into Ukraine, all right? You can mark it down. You can put it down. You can take it anywhere you want." (Interview with George Stephanopoulos, July 31, 2016)
107. "The people of Crimea, from what I've heard, would rather be with Russia than where they were." (Interview with George Stephanopoulos, July 31, 2016)
108. "She's the devil." (Rally in Pennsylvania, August 1, 2016)
109. "I'm afraid the election's going to be rigged, I have to be honest." (Rally in Pennsylvania, August 1, 2016)
110. "I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier." (Rally in Virginia, August 2, 2016, upon receiving a Purple Heart medal from a supporter.)
111. "Many people are saying that the Iranians killed the scientist who helped the U.S. because of Hillary Clinton's hacked emails." (Twitter, Aug 8, 2016)
112. "Hillary wants to abolish, essentially abolish, the Second Amendment. By the way, and if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people—maybe there is, I don't know. But I'll tell you what, that will be a horrible day." (Rally in North Carolina, Aug 9, 2016)
113. "He is the founder of ISIS. He's the founder of ISIS, OK? He's the founder. He founded ISIS and I would say the co-founder would be crooked Hillary Clinton." (Speaking about Barack Obama at a rally in Sunrise, Florida, August 10, 2016)
114. "They will soon be calling me MR. BREXIT!" (Twitter, August 18, 2016)
115. "You're living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs. Fifty-eight percent of your youth is unemployed. What the hell do you have to lose? And at the end of four years, I guarantee you that I will get over 95 percent of the African-American vote. I promise you. Because I will produce." (Rally in Dimondale, Michigan, August 19, 2016)
116. "Hillary Clinton is a bigot who sees people of color only as votes, not as human beings worthy of a better future." (Rally in Jackson, Mississippi, August 24, 2016)
117. "Mexico will pay for the wall!" (Twitter, September 1, 2016)
118. "I think people don't care [about my tax returns]. I don't think anybody cares, except some members of the press." (Interview with David Muir of ABC News, September 5, 2016)
119. "They won't even give him stairs, proper stairs to get out of the airplane. You see that? They have pictures of other leaders who are ... coming down with a beautiful red carpet. And Obama is coming down a metal staircase. I've got to tell you, if that were me, I would say, 'You know what, folks, I respect you a lot but close the doors, let's get out of here.' It's a sign of such disrespect." (Roundtable with labor leaders in Brook Park, Ohio, September 5, 2016)
120. "I just don't bother talking about it but I don't know [if past birther comments hampered outreach efforts to African-American voters]. I guess with maybe some, I don't know why, I really don't know why." (Interview with Sean Hannity, September 6, 2016)
121. "I was totally against the war in Iraq. You can look at Esquire magazine from '04. You can look at before that." (National Security Forum, September 7, 2016)
122. "If we would have taken the oil [in Iraq], you wouldn't have ISIS." (National Security Forum, September 7, 2016)
123. "[Hillary Clinton]'s being so protected. She could walk into this arena right now and shoot somebody with 20,000 people watching, right smack in the middle of the heart and she wouldn't be prosecuted, OK?" (Rally in Pensacola, Florida, September 9, 2016)
124. "I'll answer that question [whether President Obama was born in the U.S.] at the right time. I just don't want to answer it yet." (Interview with the Washington Post in Canton, Ohio, September 15, 2016)
125. "[Hillary Clinton] goes around with armed bodyguards like you have never seen before. I think that her bodyguards should drop all weapons. They should disarm. Right? Right? I think they should disarm immediately." (Rally in Miami, Florida, September 16, 2016)
126. "Do people notice Hillary is copying my airplane rallies—she puts the plane behind her like I have been doing from the beginning." (Twitter, September 20, 2016)
127. "Hillary Clinton is taking the day off again, she needs the rest. Sleep well Hillary—see you at the debate!" (Twitter, September 20, 2016)
128. "Our African-American communities are absolutely in the worst shape they've ever been in before. Ever. Ever. Ever." (Rally in Kenansville, North Carolina, September 20, 2016)
129. "I would do stop-and-frisk. I think you have to. We did it in New York, it worked incredibly well and you have to be proactive and, you know, you really help people sort of change their mind automatically." (Interview on Fox News, September 21, 2016)
130. "He's a fantastic guy. ... He took control of Egypt. And he really took control of it." (Interview with Lou Dobbs of Fox Business, referring to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, September 22, 2016)
131. "Just go to her website. She tells you how to fight ISIS on her website. I don't think General Douglas MacArthur would like that too much." (First Presidential Debate, September 26, 2016)
132. "She [Alicia Machado] was the winner and she gained a massive amount of weight, and it was a real problem." (Interview on Fox News, September 27, 2016)
133. "Every on-line poll, Time Magazine, Drudge etc., has me winning the debate. Thank you to Fox & Friends for so reporting!" (Twitter, September 28, 2016)
134. "For those few people knocking me for tweeting at three o'clock in the morning, at least you know I will be there, awake, to answer the call!" (Twitter, September 30, 2016)
135. "Did Crooked Hillary help disgusting (check out sex tape and past) Alicia [Machado] become a U.S. citizen so she could use her in the debate?" (Twitter, September 30, 2016)
136. "This was locker room banter, a private conversation that took place many years ago. Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course—not even close. I apologize if anyone was offended." (Initial statement in the aftermath of leaked Access Hollywood tape, October 7, 2016)
137. "You be in jail [if I were in charge of enforcing the law]." (Spoken to Hillary Clinton during the Second Presidential Debate, October 9, 2016)
138. "We have an increase in murder within our cities, the biggest in 45 years." (Second Presidential Debate, October 9, 2016)
139. "And when [Hillary Clinton] walked in front of me, believe me, I wasn't impressed." (Rally in Greensboro, North Carolina, October 14, 2016)
140. "Believe me, [Jessica Leeds] would not be my first choice." (Rally in Greensboro, North Carolina, October 14, 2016, referring to woman who accused Trump of groping her during flight to New York)
141. "Take a look. Look at her. Look at her words. And you tell me what you think. I don't think so." (Rally in West Palm Beach, Florida, October 14, 2016, referring to Natasha Stoynoff, a former People magazine reporter who accused him of sexual assault.
142. "Hillary Clinton should have been prosecuted and should be in jail. Instead she is running for president in what looks like a rigged election" (Twitter, October 15, 2016)
143. "I think we should take a drug test prior to the debate." (Rally in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, October 15, 2016)
144. "Hillary is the most corrupt person to ever run for the presidency of the United States. #DrainTheSwamp" (Twitter, October 18, 2016)
145. "Such a nasty woman." (About Hillary Clinton, at the Third Presidential Debate, October 19, 2016)
146. "What I'm saying is that I will tell you at the time [whether I accept defeat in the election]. I'll keep you in suspense. OK?" (Third Presidential Debate, October 19, 2016)
147. "I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election—if I win." (Rally in Delaware, Ohio, October 20, 2016)
148. "Hillary is so corrupt, she got kicked of the Watergate Commission. How corrupt do you have to be to get kicked off the Watergate commission? Pretty corrupt." (Al Smith charity dinner, New York City, October 20, 2016)
149. "Here [Hillary Clinton] is tonight in public pretending not to hate Catholics." (Al Smith charity dinner, October 20, 2016)
150. "The results are in on the final debate and it is almost unanimous, I WON! Thank you, these are very exciting times." (Twitter, October 21, 2016)
151. "All of these liars will be sued after the election is over." (About the women who've accused Trump of sexual misconduct at a rally in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, October 22, 2016)
152. "And just thinking to myself right now, we should just cancel the election and just give it to Trump, right? What are we even having it for? What are we having it for?" (Rally in Toledo, Ohio, October 27, 2016)
153. "A lot of call-ins about vote flipping at the voting booths in Texas. People are not happy. BIG lines. What is going on?" (Twitter, October 27, 2016)
154. "That's all right, leave him alone. That's all right. You know the great thing about—we have a protester. By the way, were you paid $1,500 to be a thug?" (Speaking to a black man being escorted out of his rally in Kinston, North Carolina, October 29, 2016)
155. "We've got to be nice and cool, nice and calm. All right, stay on point, Donald. Stay on point. No sidetracks, Donald. Nice and easy." (Rally in Pensacola, Florida, November 3, 2016)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Hamilcar

Admiral Yi

Perfectly calibrated for the Berniebro target demographic.

Martinus

Zanza

Just read an article how the German government prepares for a potential President Trump. They have almost no contacts to any of his circle and meetings between our ambassador and his campaign management were apparently devoid of content. They expect an economic damage of up to a trillion dollar from protectionist measures though. As the US is Germany's biggest trading partner this could mean about .5 less GDP growth here. They also fear that he would not adhere the Paris climate treaty or even the Western world order by no longer upholding NATO.
Their first concern is however how Angela Merkel would congratulate on Wednesday.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on November 06, 2016, 02:51:01 PM
Just read an article how the German government prepares for a potential President Trump. They have almost no contacts to any of his circle and meetings between our ambassador and his campaign management were apparently devoid of content. They expect an economic damage of up to a trillion dollar from protectionist measures though. As the US is Germany's biggest trading partner this could mean about .5 less GDP growth here. They also fear that he would not adhere the Paris climate treaty or even the Western world order by no longer upholding NATO.

Yeah, I suggest everybody gird their loins for the global market crash on Wednesday.  The trade wars will take time to ramp up.

QuoteTheir first concern is however how Angela Merkel would congratulate on Wednesday.

There's no reason why she has to.  President-Elect Trump would have defied, discarded and disavowed every political principle, convention and practice on his way to the White House--so I see no reason why Chancellor Merkel--or the leader of any other US ally he has personally insulted--should follow them, either.

A gift basket would suffice.

Hamilcar

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2016, 02:59:52 PM
There's no reason why she has to.  President-Elect Trump would have defied, discarded and disavowed every political principle, convention and practice on his way to the White House--so I see no reason why Chancellor Merkel--or the leader of any other US ally he has personally insulted--should follow them, either.

Did he actually insult Merkel? I've lost track...

QuoteA gift basket would suffice.

Maybe a collection of small sausages from the various regions of Germany?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 06, 2016, 03:01:51 PM
Did he actually insult Merkel? I've lost track...

He's called her a catastrophe, her refugee policy a disaster for Germany, and--the killshot--that Hillary Clinton wanted to be the American Angela Merkel.

QuoteMaybe a collection of small sausages from the various regions of Germany?

I wouldn't give him the phallic satisfaction.  Send chocolates.  Dark chocolate.

Tonitrus

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2016, 02:59:52 PM

A gift basket would suffice.
He would be the democratically elected president of a friend and partner nation, so of course we would extend all courtesy that the office of president commands to him.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on November 06, 2016, 03:35:05 PM
He would be the democratically elected president of a friend and partner nation, so of course we would extend all courtesy that the office of president commands to him.

Remember that when we leave NATO in 2019.

Besides, a gift basket is incredibly courteous.

Zoupa

Money why are you so pessimistic? All the early voting numbers are A+ for Clinton.

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2016, 03:41:21 PM
Remember that when we leave NATO in 2019.
There was another rather alarmist article (which didn't claim to represent considerations in government though) about that. It suggested that Germany would have to massively re-arm then and consider own nuclear weapons as a deterrent against Russia.