2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 19, 2016, 11:35:29 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 18, 2016, 09:29:22 PM
Can Clinton sue Trump for defamation?

She'd have to prove actual malice.  Jaw-dropping ignorance is a defense.

Furiously scribbles note to self.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Martinus

jimmy olsen

Morning Consult poll. It's 46-42 Clinton Trump when reduced to the two of them.

Democrat Hillary Clinton 42%

Republican Donald Trump 40%

Libertarian Gary Johnson 8%

Green Party's Jill Stein 3%

Don't Know/No Opinion 7%
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2016, 05:55:48 PM
https://youtu.be/H6f4tZFZ_-g

I'm glad Obama wisened up and no longer talks like Trump.

The only think like Trump is the comments below the video.  "Deplorable" is far too nice a word to use for them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: derspiess on September 19, 2016, 10:00:53 AM
I don't get it.  Is Seedy saying I don't generally get along well with people with opposing political viewpoints?

I thought that you were expressing shock at the idea that Seedy actually has friends.  That's not fair to Seedy, though.  I'm even snarkier in person than Seedy is here and even I have friends.

BTW, other Languish posters don't count as friends.  We're all family here.

People on Languish don't count.

jimmy olsen

:bleeding::bleeding::bleeding:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/19/donald_trump_on_the_right_to_counsel_for_ahmad_khan_rahami.html

Donald Trump Thinks That the Fundamentally American Right to Counsel Is Hurting America

By Mark Joseph Stern

In a speech on Monday, Donald Trump expressed his displeasure that Ahmad Khan Rahami, the suspect in the recent New York City bombings, will receive the full legal protections afforded to him by the federal Constitution. Trump specifically zeroed in on the fact that Rahami, a naturalized U.S. citizen, will presumably be provided a lawyer, as the Constitution requires. "He will be represented by an outstanding lawyer," Trump complained with palpable chagrin. "His case will go through the various court systems for years and in the end, people will forget and his punishment will not be what it once would have been. What a sad situation. We must have speedy but fair trials and we must deliver a just and very harsh punishment to these people."

What's especially interesting about this quote isn't that Trump opposes constitutional rights for U.S. citizens accused of terrorism; he has already made that quite clear. What's fascinating is that the 6th Amendment's right to counsel is a bedrock principle of American legal history that actually predates the Bill of Rights itself. In 1770, soon-to-be founding father John Adams agreed to defend the British soldiers accused of committing the Boston Massacre. Decades before the Constitution enshrined the right to an attorney as a cornerstone of due process, Adams believed that even the most unpopular criminal defendants deserved counsel, no matter how ghastly their alleged crimes. Adams, who secured acquittals for most of the accused, later wrote that his defense was "one of the most gallant, generous, manly and disinterested Actions of my whole Life, and one of the best Pieces of Service I ever rendered my Country."

James Madison supported Adams' view of the right to counsel as a fundamental component of liberty. He included it in his earliest drafts of the Bill of Rights, and it was approved without serious controversy at ratifying conventions. Indeed, the colonies were eager to jettison the old English common law rule barring many criminals from aid of counsel. Even before the ratification of the 6th Amendment, most colonies had notably liberal rules guaranteeing defendants the right to an attorney.

Plenty of other celebrated figures from American history voluntarily defended clients who were just as despised at the time as Rahami is today. Abraham Lincoln, for instance, represented multiple accused murderers of great notoriety; his last murder case occurred just a year before he was elected president. (His client was acquitted.) Allowing defendants—including universally maligned suspects of violent crimes—to mount a strong defense through capable counsel is a foundational aspect of American liberty. You might even say it's a big part of what made America great in the first place.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Winners win, and losers get defense attorneys. 

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 19, 2016, 06:57:29 PM

Donald Trump Thinks That the Fundamentally American Right to Counsel Is Hurting America

Is that really a fundamentally american right? As opposed to a right in america that is also present in most other countries?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on September 19, 2016, 07:32:56 PM

Is that really a fundamentally american right? As opposed to a right in america that is also present in most other countries?

Yeah, Ivan, it is.

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on September 19, 2016, 07:32:56 PM

Pesky lawyers always mucking shit up.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 19, 2016, 07:36:07 PM

Yeah, Ivan, it is.

Are we talking about the right to be provided with an attorney if you are indigent? According to google, the USSC only mandated that in the 1960s. Other countries were before us.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on September 19, 2016, 07:49:40 PM
Are we talking about the right to be provided with an attorney if you are indigent? According to google, the USSC only mandated that in the 1960s.

What part of "and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence" of the Sixth Motherfucking Amendment do you not understand?

QuoteOther countries were before us.

Amendment VI: Passed by Congress September 25, 1789. Ratified December 15, 1791. The first 10 amendments form the Bill of Rights.

And what's this "us" shit, Yuri?  You antisemite cossack slut.

Now enough already with your goddamned Assburger bullshit.  Sixth Fucking Amendment.  Bill of Rights.  Fuck already.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".